Boat Ids

dom

Hi all,

Just signed up, as I'm currently looking to buy a cruiser around 30-35ft or so. I've looked at a couple of flybridge options (ie. Aquafibre 32), but decided that they're probably too large, as I'm likely to be single handling a fair bit (mainly due to freeboard and access). Now thinking a sedan may be a better option (may look at a Princess DS30 locally).

Came across a couple of photos today, but can't figure out the manufacturer/model of them. Can anyone ID either of them?

http://norfolk.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Photograph&photo=z956_13959&BoatId=8195&BoatHistory=13959

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=3512623825734848&set=pcb.1382784302302111

1st one's just listed as design "Moretime", but I presume she's built to broads spec using a moulding sold elsewhere under other branding?

Annoyingly, someone posted the 2nd on Facebook around the time I was driving back from Norfolk. If I'd known earlier in the day I could have stopped off for a look. From the photo, the front end looks quite Aquafibre-ish, but not sure if they produced anything this style?

• Like 1

I have a 30DS and it can be a pig for single handing in a wind but I guess it depends on the setup,  mine is twin diesels on shafts with no keel, often wind and tide does it all for you but when it doesn't you know all about it.

It's great as a smaller sea boat and mostly OK on the southern broads due to airdraft but if you only want to stay on the rivers it may not be the best option. 

• Like 1

One option could be a Sancerre style cruiser.  They used to be popular on The Broads, having been built by Bondon (latterly Russell Marine) of South Walsham.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Style_Details&style=Sncr

There are a few still on the Broadland rivers, but there are two currently available on the Great Ouse, one at Jones Boatyard:

https://www.jonesboatyard.co.uk/boat-sales/sancerre-33-boat-for-sale-7430.html

and one advertised on Apolloduck:

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/sancerre-33-for-sale/738182

They have a relatively low airdraft for a sedan style craft, so can safely negotiate most of the bridges on The Broads, with the exception of Wroxham, Potter and Wayford.

I should have recognised the Bounty 34 @WherryNice. I'd actually seen the one in the ad you've linked, but they look quite different without the coloured gelcoat on the topsides which the hire ones all seemed to have. I think you're spot on with the Princess 35 suggestion for Moretime. Unfortunately, it does seem like she was probably the only one built minus the flybridge. A flybridge model is completely out, as I need something which'll pass under Ludham bridge.

@Smoggy I'd ruled out the 30DS, but saw one moored at Horning ferry yesterday and was struck by what a good looking boat it is. The one I'm looking at is twin diesels on outdrives. I'd rather have shafts, but they're seemingly less common.

@Mouldy I'm actually just up the road from Jones boatyard and already planning to view the Sancerre. The only thing I wonder is how it handles with the single engine, dual shaft arrangement. I'm assuming you get no independent prop speed control, unless it's somehow achieved hydraulically?! The Buckden one is obviously much newer and more modern looking, but it's getting a bit pricey and there's probably a lot more competition at that sort of price level (ie. Broom Ocean 29).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dom said:

@Mouldy I'm actually just up the road from Jones boatyard and already planning to view the Sancerre. The only thing I wonder is how it handles with the single engine, dual shaft arrangement. I'm assuming you get no independent prop speed control, unless it's somehow achieved hydraulically?! The Buckden one is obviously much newer and more modern looking, but it's getting a bit pricey and there's probably a lot more competition at that sort of price level (ie. Broom Ocean 29).

We own a Broom 29 Sedan, the airdraft is 8ft 3ins, so it does impact passage under some additional bridges at certain states of the tide, like Ludham, St Olaves and Somerleyton (which all too frequently can’t swing due to the weather, maintenance issues or some other lame excuse).  It’s less restrictive than a 30DS which I believe is a few inches taller.

57 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

The sancerre at jones has twin levers in the pics so it must be a twin engine.

Funnily enough I'll be at jones later today to pick up some gas bottles from Mikeyboy.

It’s a single engine which , using “clever hydraulics”, powers the original two props from when it was twin engined .

We viewed Sea Panda before we brought Cerise Lady which was just over 6 years ago, she was certainly well cared for , but the engine set up using it to power both props felt potentially a bit problematic and the beautiful wooden boxing in in the rear well meant little outside space was left .

15 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

It’s a single engine which , using “clever hydraulics”, powers the original two props from when it was twin engined .

Ah yes I think it was this one that pricked my interest before, it's well worth having a river trial on to see just how it handles as it has the cost benefit of the one engine and I bet the "clever hydraulics" is just a collection of off the shelf industrial/plant components that can be bought without a picture of a boat on the box adding a couple of zeros to the price, keep the oil changed regularly and the system will likely last years, it could be a great handling river boat

Take pics of the hydraulic components data plates and research before buying and you could be on a winner, I bet they are easier to source parts for than the average volvo MS4a gearboxes I have (and soo many others have).

Add a bow thruster and you will be able to put that boat anywhere.