The Staithe & Willow Horning.

It’s not as easy as you imply to turn commercial premises into residential and if that were to be attempted at “The Staithe and Willow” I would be amazed if consent at planning level were permitted.

The Staithe and Willow (IMHO) has been under traded for the last few years , closing even in peak times when potential trade was abundant , it is not premises that lends itself to a “lifestyle” cafe but I believe could thrive with the right leadership at the helm .

With the food at the two main establishments being hearty but not memorable the opportunity is certainly there for a quality food establishment to build a solid and profitable business .

• Like 5

13 hours ago, floydraser said:

I wonder about this one: do we know the cost of installation or are you assuming that's the case? I wonder if the supplier would install charging points at a heavily discounted rate or free?

unlikely as there is just no return on investment, you are not allowed to charge more for the electricity than it cost, so where is the incentie for suppliers to install them, now for EV charge points its slightly different, as you can charge a usage fee on top of the energy cost, and with EV chargers there is enough traffic to break even, but realistically, a boat sat on an electricity point is barely going to use a few kw per day. so you dont have the  usage required for a return on investment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, grendel said:

unlikely as there is just no return on investment, you are not allowed to charge more for the electricity than it cost, so where is the incentie for suppliers to install them, now for EV charge points its slightly different, as you can charge a usage fee on top of the energy cost, and with EV chargers there is enough traffic to break even, but realistically, a boat sat on an electricity point is barely going to use a few kw per day. so you dont have the  usage required for a return on investment.

I was thinking along the lines of solar panels, insulation, heat pumps etc where grants can be an incentive. Sky tv, mobile phones etc. where they give you the equipment but for a fixed term contract. Depends who wants it more, the customer (BA) or the supplier. We as consumers will just have to pay for it all anyway but maybe not through the tolls, just on the power used. 

Why would a day boat need to plug in they are charged over night at a cheap rate and have the battery size to last all day, plus would a day hirer be competent to plug in. the electric points here are to encourage over nighter's to plug in and not run the engines to heat water/charge their battery while moored. Reserving the mooring for day boats from 10am to 5pm could increase foot fall and increase the turnover at the local shops. Seems to work well at the Ship and Ferry. John

• Like 2