Passage Through Gt.yarmouth

Smoggy

I just spoke to peel ports ops who confirm there is supposed to be a £20 charge as of this year for transit either way regardless of bridge requirements, this is another one sneaking up that needs objecting to.

Not an issue for hire craft or river only craft but still another blow for the broads as a haven.

• Like 2

That was my terminology Griff, the charge is only for the river port from haven bridge downstream.

There has always been harbour dues but it's always been officially waived for vessels leaving from the broads or entering into the broads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a country, we are being bombarded by stealth taxes from everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

I went into Edinburgh ( for the football) on the 2nd of January ( a public holiday in Scotland) which is treated as a Sunday when it comes to parking restrictions. Not this year, the wardens were out and it cost me £10  to park for 3 hours. Now, who has the power to do such a thing, nobody knows, and the apathetic way we now all live, nobody will bother to make a fuss and find out. 
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it just seemed a similar charge to go about your business which has just been sneakily chucked in there. 

• Like 6

Is that about the same toll as Mutford lock? Think I’d stick a tall biminis on to get my moneys worth each time :default_cool:

On second thoughts I suppose the bridge might break down albeit extremely rarely and not for very long...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Is that about the same toll as Mutford lock? Think I’d stick a tall biminis on to get my moneys worth each time :default_cool:

On second thoughts I suppose the bridge might break down albeit extremely rarely and not for very long...

The Bridge is only operated by Peel on behalf of the local authority who maintain the cost of repair and maintenance and setting up that service agreement kept the bridge closed for most of 2023 - as you know!! You would need a huge bimini!!!!!

Previously the Harbour Dues have been a shared cost exchange with the Broads Authority and, therefore, if registered by BA (Also a statutory Harbour Authority) then there should be nothing payable as historically has been the case - UNLESS BA have now withdrawn from this agreement - which would be extremely worrying, without telling anyone???

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

As a country, we are being bombarded by stealth taxes from everywhere. Absolutely everywhere.

I went into Edinburgh ( for the football) on the 2nd of January ( a public holiday in Scotland) which is treated as a Sunday when it comes to parking restrictions. Not this year, the wardens were out and it cost me £10  to park for 3 hours. Now, who has the power to do such a thing, nobody knows, and the apathetic way we now all live, nobody will bother to make a fuss and find out. 
Sorry to hijack the thread, but it just seemed a similar charge to go about your business which has just been sneakily chucked in there. 

Peel have made it clear often enough that they do not wish to entertain pleasure craft within their port, however, because of the nature of being one of the limited access points to the Broads, it is highly unlikely that this charge would be collectable without the collusion of BA. In addition there are a very large number of situations where a vessel may need to enter or transit a port and there is also a question of who the riparian owners of the riverbed are... this would need highlighting and BA will have had to be absolutely in agreement with the dropping of the Harbour due waiver

For reference, there has always been a charge for leisure craft entry or transit - in 2021 this was set at a whopping £63, it was not defined in 2022 and 2023, but this charge schedule for 2024 seems incredibly specific - for reference, I have dug up the historic documents and attached them.

I have called Peel this morning and they have referred me to the website, but the person I spoke with was not certain that any current agreements had ended or not IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION COULD THEY PLEASE POST THE SOURCE REFERENCE as this may just be a reiterration of the current cost schedules.

great-yarmouth-port-charges-2024-ver-1.pdf small-craft-charges-ver-1 2021.pdf great-yarmouth-port-charges-2022.pdf local-small-craft-information-ver-4.pdf

• Like 1