Wroxham/Hoveton Cashpoints

YnysMon

I noticed that the cashpoint that used to be outside the, now closed, Barclays Bank in Hoveton has been bricked up. I have a vague memory of there being a cashpoint outside Roy's too, not far from the road crossing point, but either my memory is faulty or that's disappeared too. Is there anywhere in Hoveton or Wroxham nowadays where you can get cash?

• YnysMon changed the title to Wroxham/Hoveton Cashpoints

Yes, the one in the convenience store in the precinct where the post office is sited is the only one we have left now. It's hoped that eventually this can be moved to be available from outside but I think at the moment you're restricted to access when the shop is open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Yes, the one in the convenience store in the precinct where the post office is sited is the only one we have left now. It's hoped that eventually this can be moved to be available from outside but I think at the moment you're restricted to access when the shop is open.

Last thing I heard, it seemed it was going ahead, but was just awaiting planning permission. Slightly worryingly, I can't see an application on a planning search.

• Like 1

You can of course use the post office itself for cashing money during its opening hours .

I did notice that Horning post office is due to close at some point this year as the owners are retiring and cannot find a buyer for the business, not really a surprise in view of the recent sub-postmaster events nationwide.

4 hours ago, dom said:

Last thing I heard, it seemed it was going ahead, but was just awaiting planning permission. Slightly worryingly, I can't see an application on a planning search.

Its on line now ( Broads Authority) BA/2024/0024/FUL 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Its on line now ( Broads Authority) BA/2024/0024/FUL 

Just hope that gets passed promptly. There used to be another ATM within feet of the location, so there's not really any excuse not to just rubber stamp it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dom said:

Just hope that gets passed promptly. There used to be another ATM within feet of the location, so there's not really any excuse not to just rubber stamp it.

There was, just around the corner, an HSBC if memory serves? Not sure the Nat West didn't have one too. Assume the one in the convenience store is free to use? 

19 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

There was, just around the corner, an HSBC if memory serves? Not sure the Nat West didn't have one too. Assume the one in the convenience store is free to use? 

What's now Costa used to be HSBC (Midland). Betfred used to be Lloyds. HSBC had an ATM. I think Lloyds may have had one too.

NatWest used to be on the corner opposite Barclays (not sure if it's still Capron & Helliwell) and definitely had an ATM. The inside of the bank was a filming location for an episode of Tales of the Unexpected. There was a Norwich building society beside it.

Really goes to show how much reliance on cash has diminished, going from 4 banks and a building society to none.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dom said:

What's now Costa used to be HSBC (Midland). Betfred used to be Lloyds. HSBC had an ATM. I think Lloyds may have had one too.

NatWest used to be on the corner opposite Barclays (not sure if it's still Capron & Helliwell) and there was a building society beside it.

Really goes to show how much reliance on cash has diminished, going from 4 banks and a building society to none.

I dont think its reliance on cash so much as getting rid of staff to save save money that has driven us down this road.

• Like 1

Which episode was that Dom? There was one that I believe was filmed in the Barclays at North Walsham, possibly just for the outside take though, The Moles I think where they burrowed under one weekend from the shop next door only to discover an empty safe on account of the bank being closed on Monday due to industrial action. Not trying to steal Hovetons thunder but I wouldn’t want to rob NW of the credit in this instance lol

You’ve reminded me that quite a few episodes featured the broads, Horning with Richard Baron in the Moonraker, Reedham Ferry with the Makepeace actress, Pulls Ferry with the stranger in town on a dayboat. As well as a host of other Norfolk and good locations.

16 minutes ago, dom said:

NatWest used to be on the corner opposite Barclays (not sure if it's still Capron & Helliwell) and definitely had an ATM. The inside of the bank was a filming location for an episode of Tales of the Unexpected.

4 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Which episode was that Dom? There was one that I believe was filmed in the Barclays at North Walsham, possibly just for the outside take though, The Moles I think where they burrowed under one weekend from the shop next door only to discover an empty safe on account of the bank being closed on Monday due to industrial action. Not trying to steal Hovetons thunder but I wouldn’t want to rob NW of the credit in this instance lol

I think it may well have been that episode. The external shot was NW, but there was a brief scene at the very end inside Natwest in Wroxham. I used to bank with Natwest so really familiar with the interior and have seen the scene again recently. I seem to recall a friend saying they had issues getting permission from Barclays to film the interior and had to find an alternative.

I suspect you mean Keith Baron with the other episode? If so, it was filmed at Cobwebs in Beech Road, Wroxham. I used to work for a bloke in Cambridge who owned it as a weekend retreat. It used to have a big swimming pool block separate to the main building. My boss turned it into a separate house which is now worth something like £1m. Cobwebs itself was on the market for £3m or so a while back.

Bits of "Stranger in town" were shot around St.Benedicts street, near where I used to work at one time. "The Umbrella Man" was also shot around the same area. There was an episode shot in Cromer and Sheringham where the lead character had an accident in an MG in the past. Susan George starred in a couple of episodes - one was shot on Bowthorpe Road and Mousehold Heath in Norwich. "The Verger" with Richard Briers was shot in Tombland. The one with a Police doctor involved in a murder was shot around Dilham.

I watched them all countless times during lockdown lunchbreaks whilst working from home, so spent a fair bit of time location spotting!

• Like 1

Thanks Dom, oops think I got Baron and Briers the wrong name round, yes meant Keith B in “A Harmless Vanity”, did your boss chuck in the boats for the episode too or was there a bit of sponsorship, it was ITV after all and if Lotus could chuck James Bond an Esprit perhaps JCL marine tried the same marketing ploy with a flybridge’

“Skeleton in the Cupboard” in Cromer for shore! Sir John Mills played a brilliant umbrella man, born in North Elmham so one of Norfolk’s finest.

Hadn’t clocked “pattern of guilt” was filmed in Dilham, notwithstanding having cycled through dozens of times in lockdown.... must observe harder!

5 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Thanks Dom, oops think I got Baron and Briers the wrong name round, yes meant Keith B in “A Harmless Vanity”, did your boss chuck in the boats for the episode too or was there a bit of sponsorship, it was ITV after all and if Lotus could chuck James Bond an Esprit perhaps JCL marine tried the same marketing ploy with a flybridge’

I don't think I've ever heard mention of where the boats came from, which is surprising as both my parents were involved in boating at the time of filming.

With that and the Ransome films, there was quite a lot of focus on the Broads back then.

• Like 1