Mud Weight

Welcome to the forum, you can get one here. http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/14kg-stainless-steel-mudweight-p-18778.html

Or you can get a stainless pudding basin, a stainless U bolt and fill with molten lead, usual caveat, read up on safety etc. No point filling it with anything else apart from perhaps scrap wheel ballancing weights encapsulated in resin as it would be too light under water.

Welcome to the forum, you can get one here. http://www.norfolkmarine.co.uk/shop-online/14kg-stainless-steel-mudweight-p-18778.html

Or you can get a stainless pudding basin, a stainless U bolt and fill with molten lead, usual caveat, read up on safety etc. No point filling it with anything else apart from perhaps scrap wheel ballancing weights encapsulated in resin as it would be too light under water.

I have a bucket full of scrap wheel balancing weights in my garage,I intended to do what David suggested,anyone want them they are free to a good home

Hi Linny

Suggest you have a word with those nice people at Ludham Bridge boatyard. Always very helpful and when I lost my mudweight they were able to offer me a good choice of weights and were able to get the chosen one in very swiftly :grin:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but bearing in mind that most mud weights sit on the foredeck in full view, even when the boat is unattended, are you sure you want to risk four times as much money as necessary ?

They seem to get pinched fairly regularly, and iron ones are costly enough to replace, at around £40, but stainless, at three or four times the price ?

The "rusty iron" types are often described as horrible looking, but a quick coat of Hamerite paint makes them quite tidy, and much cleaner to handle.

(there really should be a tinhat smilie available on this forum... :naughty: )

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but bearing in mind that most mud

weights sit on the foredeck in full view, even when the boat is

unattended, are you sure you want to risk four times as much money

as necessary ?

Or you could do as I do and just let it hang below the water level out

of eye view when you leave the boat.

Or you could stamp your ships name on the mudweight as a deterent

Not easy on stainless steel :cry:

Or you could do as I do and just let it hang below the water level out

of eye view when you leave the boat.

But,

Wouldn't the rope attached to it give its location away.

If some theiving scum wanted it, they would know where it was anyway....

they would just get a bit wet pulling the rope up.

cheersbar