Potter Heigham Bridge

Roy

Was at potter heigham yesterday and watched a martham boat going under the bridge then there was a loud scrape / bang noise it must be really hard for the yards above this bridge.

IMG_4178.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

IMG_4180.jpeg

• Sad 3

I know historically Marthams have had few issues with the bridge given their boats tend to need under 6 foot I believe. However it must be very tough for them this year. I hope things improve but sadly the long term prognosis for their cruisers may not be good. I hope they don't have to restrict their fleet to sailing boats and dayboats.

• Like 1

Martham  Boat  is a very good yard but Potter Hiegham Bridge is a real pain  for every Boater . As the weather Rain does not help any Boater to visit Hickling and Hornsey to visit these Two Places that is worth the visit if the Rain does Stops and warm up

• Like 1

I have been under with marthams at 5 foot 10" and it was tight, from the marker board it doesnt look like it was much more than 5 foot 7inches, if you look, you will notice the wooden handrails on the roof, they are designed to be the first thing that touches, whoever was piloting will be given some sandpaper and varnish and their first job back at the yard will be to rub down the scrape on the handrail, and slap a coat of varnish on. it will all look good ready for the next hirer.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Martham  Boat  is a very good yard but Potter Hiegham Bridge is a real pain  for every Boater . As the weather Rain does not help any Boater to visit Hickling and Hornsey to visit these Two Places that is worth the visit if the Rain does Stops and warm up

if you hire a martham boat you have the run of all those moorings, Usually on the first couple of days aor the last couple, worst case and you are stuck above the bridge, I can think of worse places to be stuck.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, grendel said:

I have been under with marthams at 5 foot 10" and it was tight, from the marker board it doesnt look like it was much more than 5 foot 7inches, if you look, you will notice the wooden handrails on the roof, they are designed to be the first thing that touches, whoever was piloting will be given some sandpaper and varnish and their first job back at the yard will be to rub down the scrape on the handrail, and slap a coat of varnish on. it will all look good ready for the next hirer.

Yes martham boats do look well kept. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Roy said:

Yes martham boats do look well kept. 

They are, they lend us one form the guardship on Hickling Broad each year. I'm most impressed with them .

That by the way is officially Heigham bridge, Potter Heigham bridge, is the new one.

The whole area the northern side of the river is Heigham, Potter Heigham is over by the church..

On old maps a village called Falgate Heigham previously spelt Furlgate Heigham was centred on the pub . So technically, the lathams and boat yards are in Heigham but Potter Heigham probably not.

• Like 4