Hi from me

Hi all,

I joined as I am very keen to find out more about boating holidays on the Norfolk broads and how everything works and this site has a lot of information and I have been coming here to look a fair bit, I have always fancied a holiday on a boat and was initially looking at a canal boat holiday somewhere and hadn't considered the broads but the more I look into it the more I want to try it out I would be a little nervous but I'm sure it would be great... so hopefully in August I will give it a try :Stinkycheers:grin:

Hello Splishsplosh,

Welcome to the forum.

I would try it out for a long weekend or a midweek break with one of the hire companies, you will find there is a number of offers from the various campanies at the moment. Richardsons have a loyalty scheme where you get rewards for future bookings and is a good idea if you have enjoyed your time on the Broads.

Being as this would be your first trip I would suggest that you stick to the Northern Broads which are less tidal unless you head nearer to Yarmouth.

The other alternative is join a boatshare or boat syndicate schemelike Matt on Thunder and myself on Ranworth Breeze. There is about 6 to 8 boats operating on some form of boatshare scheme on the Norfolk Broads, these are ideal if your time available is limited.

Being as you have been watching the boating forums for a while you will have seen that boating can be very expensive.

We have hired a narrow boat in early May for three couples on the Cylde & Union Canels in Scotland to go on the Falkirk Wheel at just over £1700 for the week so any hire on the Broads will be like money in the bank.

Regards

Alan

Hi again,

Thanks all and thank you Alan, I was thinking along the same lines of sticking to the North based on what I have read and especially as it would be our first time on a boat, it would be 2 adults and one child so were pinned down to the school holidays, looking for a chilled out break probably wouldn't be visiting many pubs or anything like that(well maybe a couple). We go camping a lot and like the outdoors and I reckon this would be perfect plus I do like a bit of fishing so that's a bonus and I think the price is good especially with some of the "classic" boats I looked at with Richardson's they would be perfect for us.

Thanks

Paul

Welcome,

Do not hire a boat 'cos you will want to return then you'll start looking at buying a boat then you'll be broke but happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously book and enjoy, I have never met anyone who does not want to boat again.

August is very busy unless you have kids I would try out of season first.

paul

Hi all,

I want to try it out I would be a little nervous but I'm sure it would be great...

We all had to start sometime, and a fair proportion of the hirers in any week will be newbies.

Remember that the nervous skippers are the careful ones!

The yard's hand over demo should give you enough confidence before you go out on your own,

(usually they wont let you go until they are happy that you have got the basics!)

Other hire skippers of course will be addicted to boating and the Broads and will have hired many times.

(Benefits over the canals, no locks to work through, a large amount of navigable waterways in a fairly small area,

and it is easier to find somewhere to turn the boat round...)

With just two of you and one child you won't need a big boat,

(I normally end up hiring something to take three adults and 5 kids!)

and that will make finding a mooring space a bit easier...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Splishsplosh.

One bit of advise I always like to give is get a boat a little larger than your needs

which means you will have room to store all that stuff that you brought which you

will realise you don't need! :naughty:  Although SHMBO may think differently........ :shocked

The first time I brought my partner to the Broads, we hired Little Gem which was

a 2 berth, and when she got on her for the first she said "This isn't a boat, it's a wardrobe!"

May be worth thinking about.

• Like 2