Why do we hate Great Yarmouth?

trambo

Big difference between Birmingham and Yarmouth is Birmingham is having big money spent on it.  The city center has had millions spent and the spending is still going on at a fantastic rate. The City center has changed almost beyond recognition to those that have not visited for over 10 years.

The canal network is seen as a jewel but them it is the only available waterfront for expensive apartments and waterside pubs. 

You don't have to move far from the center to find the less desirable areas that have not been attended to yet but at least they are in the sights of those cleaning up the city.

Yarmouth si a thousand times better than Birmingham was but unless it can find the investment it is only going one way.

I would`nt say i hate Gt Yarmouth, but from the river, the place is a bit uninspiring. Add to that the fact the river is very narrow and fast flowing, with a high tidal range, which makes getting on and off the boat difficult for some, and the overpriced mooring fees, you can understand why some people give the place a miss. It would be relatively inexpensive compared to many cities to clean the place up, and improve some of the facilities, as well as encouraging the yacht station owners to reduce their costs to a more realistic figure, and maybe they`ll start to attract a few mor visitors?.

I do think one of the major issues with Gt Yarmouth is the fact that it  just looks shabby, but if you take the time to walk to the esplanade, it`s actually not bad, with lots to do for a young family, but for the more mature of us (and i mean in years) unless you want to go to a show or something, there`s not really much of interrest to be found. 

Personally, i think Marina Quays further up river would be a nicer place to moor overnight, as the outlook is better, so the sooner someone buys the place and refurbishes it, the better. I wonder when that might be??????????????????????

• Like 1

Personally, i think Marina Quays further up river would be a nicer place to moor overnight, as the outlook is better, so the sooner someone buys the place and refurbishes it, the better. I wonder when that might be??????????????????????

The only problem with that, Neil (and, I think, why it fell into disuse) is its distance from the town centre. Most visitors will have children with them and they won't want to be stuck out in the sticks.

On the news today, Trevor Wainwright, leader of GYBC was telling us how the council has slapped an improvement order on the owners of the run-down building next to the train station (not ASDA!) as it's an eyesore and one of the first things seen on entering the town.

Great Yarmouth has much to offer and is being much improved. The old railway bridge is now open and looking very good, the old industrial site at the mouth of the Bure has gone; both of which have a great visual impact. St Georges Theatre is a magnificent building recently renovated and reopened providing a great cultural escape and there are plans (allbeit not immediate) to renovate the Winter Gardens.

Improvements like this in an inductrial town that's lost it's industry aren't immediate, but they are there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

good ole yarco .............

blow them bridges all of them except mine keep the fly bridges out orf it .....

poor ole Yarmouth or bad ole Yarmouth

she has come a long way

sea front better docks better and the shops are good ,lots of old buildings too

and a bit orf maritime history too.....

well love or not ..........