Johnny Crowes Staithe

Gracie

It might be narrower than Upton Dyke, but it's much wider than some parts of Waxham Cut.

That`s very evident in the photo`s in the link you posted above. It`s a tight squeeze for a 27` x 9`6" Elysian, but for a 42` x 12` Alpha, i don`t think so. Even when you got to the end, that bridge looks a bit too low, as well as not having a big enough turning circle, even on ropes. 

I think an earlier point about moorings not being nessecary, well, there are plenty of places on all the rivers where there are purpose made 24 hour moorings in the middle of nowhere, so are we all to think "what use are they?". In my opinion, just because there is`nt much in the vacinity, it does`nt mean that a once well used staithe should be allowed to fall into disrepair, or else once busy upper reaches of several rivers which are now very little used due to ever encroaching bridge obstructions will all eventually be deemed "not worthy of upkeep due to lack of use", just like the upper reaches of the Ant / North Walsham and Dilham canal.

Regards to all ....................... Neil.

Speedtriple, I understand there are many quiet out of the way made-up moorings south side but is this the case up north? Must admit I have always found finding somewhere quiet a little difficult in the north, and especially so peak season. Maybe I have just been unlucky.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone interested I have now had a reply from the BA with reference to Crowes Staithe, whilst not on the plans at the moment it's not totally out of the question, maybe, perhaps, possibly.

Time to speak to the local parish council and see if we can get them to approach the BA in a more official capacity.

Sorry forgot to add the email.

•  
  • Dear Mr Barclay,

Thank you for your interest in the River Ant and your query.  At present the Broads Authority is not in a position to dredge Cromes Dyke as part of its main navigational dredging. We are currently managing the dredging programme in line the priorities in our Sediment Management Strategy.  I will however discuss this to my colleague who is responsible for How Hill management and see if there are any plans I am not aware of.  I appreciate it would be nice to re-instate some more of the quieter areas and moorings in the Ant and elsewhere, but I think this is unlikely to be taken forward in the near future.

Regards,

littlesprite, thanks for the update.

I went back to the dyke last week to take some more photos and to take a look at the actual staithe. It's very overgrown and I can't see it ever being re-established.

However, I checked the depth of the dyke where the Cleopatra is moored and it was about 4'. I now think that, rather than dredging, all that would be required would be for the trees to be cut back, so that the bank can be accessed from the dyke.

That raises another issue, though. Are the trees supporting the bank, so would some sort of bank strengthening be needed?

• Like 1

Hi Paladin,

If what your saying is correct then a group of managed volunteers could probably do this, I know there was a thread to this affect running in parallel with this one that came up with a lot of negatives but that's why I said managed.

The BA work with volunteers already so if a volunteer group (managed by the BA) could be organised it could/should be workable, the BA would cover the training HSE requirements and the volunteers carryout the work.

Anyone know who the chap responsible for How Hill management is? 

I am looking for a local volunteer with Kayak or rowing boat to check the water depth in the staithe "any takers"

I have been informed by the PC that the dyke was dredged as part of the flood defence work and just want confirmation of the draft available.

could volunteers please form an orderly que.

• Like 2

littlesprite, as i mentioned, here is a photo of the drawbridge, which is operated from the BA side of the dyke. I've added a screen shot from this very useful web site , which enables the viewer to see an OS map and Google map side-by-side and, by moving the cursor over either pane, pinpoint a position. Also one of the actual staithe, as it is today (a rather sorry state).

post-117-0-80373400-1395328815_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-62072500-1395328856_thumb.jpg

post-117-0-95667800-1395328991_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I am looking for a local volunteer with Kayak or rowing boat to check the water depth in the staithe "any takers"

I have been informed by the PC that the dyke was dredged as part of the flood defence work and just want confirmation of the draft available.

could volunteers please form an orderly que.

If i was still a single man living in Kent, i`d jump at the chance, but i don`t think Karen would be keen on a  working holiday. Maybe i should book her into a plush hotel while i can go and get my hands dirty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update people on this,

The BA have no objection to this dyke being brought back to life, they also have no plans to carryout any work there themselves  in their plan.

The local PC are very happy for the dyke and staithe to be used but have no money to help facilitate the same.

Broadsword are happy to raise the issue at their next meeting and carryout the work if agreement is reached, because of the breeding  season this will be winter at the earliest.

In the meantime I have been up the dyke with my boat (27ft with 2'.6" draft) and had no problem with navigating, turning was tight but doable.

Many thanks to Paladin for all his hard work and local knowledge.

• Like 2

I did a similar thing early last year. Normally, I always have a camera handy. My wife and I were going to the boat 'to do some work'. I mentioned getting my camera and she said 'NO, we're gonna be working.' Would you believe it, a water vole swam out from the bank, straight towards the boat. I automatically reached for the camera which wasn't there! Since then, working or not, my camera goes where I go.

Did you go all the way up to the old stop-board installation? Would a 30' x 12' be able to turn (guestimate)?

• Like 1

I went up to the point where the boats are moored and turned ok-ish, my boat is single level front steer so it would be easier with a higher helm position (I always look for more room than I need)

My worst camera embarrassment was on Hickling  Broad in the early 70's, 3 of us fishing from a boat and all with camera's, when an Otter surfaced laid on his back and used a stone to smash a muscle on his chest, after a couple of minutes he was gone and not one of us had taken a picture as we were all sitting transfixed by the sight.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just to bump this very interesting thread up again,

Was in this area last week and mudweighted on Barton Broad and took a kayak trip down river from there. I actually entered the dyke system from opposite Irstead Staithe via the water marked Shoals Dyke on the OS.

There was a bit of fighting through reed encroachment in places but it was certainly worth the effort. I can only agree with all posters above about how away from it all the area is, a step back into deepest Norfolk.

Unfortunately I hadn't read this topic till after I got back so I didn't see as much as I could have - in fact I kept going up dead end dykes - so next time I'll be armed with the info and maps you guys have provided here and will see more. (Also will remember to take camera)

As Paladin rightly says we must keep using and accessing these paths so as not to lose them and this is also true on the water as well by paddling through to keep the channels navigable for small craft.

Excellent thread and well done to all (esp Paladin) for the time and research taken. 

Regards

Bob

• Like 5