Johnny Crowes Staithe

Gracie

Wow, that picture is brilliant, not too clever with map references all foreign to me I am afraid, but that just about explains everything. If you don't mind paladin I will print that off and take it with me on my holidays.Once again fantastic information.

Grace

I’ve never gone on the walk but have moored several times at Johnie Carowes Staithe.

It really is a nice mooring since while it is on the main river, you’ve got plenty of space to move about away from the boat and it retains that ‘wild mooring’ feel.

It is good if you like to fish, but just as nice to sit on the stern of your boat and watch the world go by and, would certainly make an ideal place if you had a rowing/sailing dinghy to go for a little pottle about the quite river at the end of a day and be able to safely get in and out from the low bank this mooring has.

The best time I think had on the river was last March.  It might be a bit more chilly but be you an owner or a hirer, going boating early in the season is really special and the likes of the staithe (or other popular moorings) such as Ranworth which had only one other boat at, is ideal.

It was the first week that Richardson’s were hiring and while cold, the rivers were pretty much deserted – not only that but it felt very much as if the wildlife had got used to having the place much to themselves so seemed more abundant. I think the footage below sums it up perfectly just how wonderful early season boating can be!

http://youtu.be/anWzdeTw69Q?t=9m5s

Thanks to all for the welcome and thanks to Paladin for the grid references, further description and photo map. Public footpaths through around ths area are a bit scarce so it's great to hear of this permissive path.

Photographs of my boat will follow once I have her in a suitable condition.

Grid references are not difficult folks. Buy the Broads Ordnance Survey  map (OL 40) and have a go, there are instructions on every OS map. Apart from walking I always use the OS map on the Broads when sailing longer distances. If you have ever used walking maps on the Continent you will realise that OS maps are far superior and the more that are bought the more likley this institution will survive. Of course you could always use a smartphone instead but where's the fun in that?

Forgot to add:

Is there any chance that the apparent error on the Google map re River Ant could originate from the possibilty that this was an earlier route of the River and the present route is an artificial short cut? This has happened elsewhere on Broads rivers.

What the picture does show however is that opposite Johnny Crowes Staithe the entrance down which the Electric Eel goes is the old course of the Ant - if you follow this round on the map you will see it comes out at the boatshed just above How Hill moorings..

Sadly as this is a Nature Reserve it is private and in any case in bits it is not really navigable particularly as in bits it is quite overgrown.

What it does show however is that there is little of the river as we know it , that is actually original particularly in the upper reaches.

Many of the rivers of Norfolk and Suffolk have had their courses changed over the centuries, either through human intervention or through natural evolution.  I read somewhere (can't remember the source) that the Ant once flowed east, rather than south, below Ludham Bridge, to join the Thurne directly, near to Thurne Dyke, and that the Thurne itself flowed in the opposite direction to it's current (no pun intended) route, and entered the sea via an estuary at Winterton.  OK, that was back in pre-Roman Britain, but the point is that Broadland is constantly changing.

• Like 2

i like yer comment re crowes staithe and the source or the rivers 

re river  ant i thourgth was from a natural source at antigham ponds .............

is it a spring that supplies  the original ant via the north walsham canal ......

may be or ole folk tales .........................i,m sure some one will put us rite 

where the time team ...........................!!!!

strumpshaw was by the sea .........???

in roman times etc ...........perhaps 

i stopped a hire boat years ago go flatt out past us at the crowes staithe ,they thourgth it was the main river .............whoaaa weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

we shouted, they panicked and the person at the helm jumped ship, so i jumped on board and managed to get full reverse to stop the boat ................

pheewwww...........

love all the info above  from others too................

• Like 1

Mea culpa.

I must admit to being wrong about the status of Johnny Crowe's staithe. I do know that Wood's End staithe was given to Catfield parish in the Inclosure Awards and had extended that to Johnny Crowe's staithe (which had also been mentioned in those awards).

I have re-discovered a document that contains the deliberations of the Commons Commissioner, who held a hearing in 1978, when the parish council laid claim to ownership. Everything else I said, regarding the parishioners rights is accurate, but the Commissioner's decision was that, "In the absence of any evidence that any other person could be the owner, I am not satisfied that any person is the owner of the land, and it will therefore remain subject to protection under section 9 of the Act of 1965."

This is the Commons Registration Act 1965, section 9 of which says "Where the registration under section 4 of this Act of any land as common land has become final but no person is registered under this Act or the Land Registration Acts 1925 and 1936 as the owner of the land, then, until the land is vested under any provision hereafter made by Parliament, any local authority in whose area the land or part of the land is situated may take such steps for the protection of the land against unlawful interference as could be taken by an owner in possession of the land, and may (without prejudice to any power exercisable apart from this section) institute proceedings for any offence committed in respect of the land."

So the parish council looks after, and maintains, the staithe, but is not the owner of it.

Many apologies.

• Like 2

Many of the rivers of Norfolk and Suffolk have had their courses changed over the centuries, either through human intervention or through natural evolution.  I read somewhere (can't remember the source) that the Ant once flowed east, rather than south, below Ludham Bridge, to join the Thurne directly, near to Thurne Dyke, and that the Thurne itself flowed in the opposite direction to it's current (no pun intended) route, and entered the sea via an estuary at Winterton.  OK, that was back in pre-Roman Britain, but the point is that Broadland is constantly changing.

Yes indeed Bob, Roman holidaymakers hiring any of Richardsons Galleys would have had a far more interesting set of waterways to explore !   :naughty:

post-195-0-20876700-1391940238_thumb.jpg

great map would seem the ole wives tales are tru then ..............

my house is in the sea too and the ole nat was there tooo......................

we are to have a roman rud under the yard as when we plied it went all hard ..................

great info on the staithe love it 

great to get info with out all the politics rubbish like on other broads site s its a breathe orf fresh air tooo....

• Like 1

I hadn't been following this thread from the start, but I've just noticed Paladin's detailed descriptions of the footpaths from one of the earliest posts.

Here's a section of the digital OS OL40 map showing the paths mentioned.

post-195-0-27096700-1391952028_thumb.jpg

Strowie, it's interesting to compare your image with what the EA thinks would happen if the sea defences were breached.

Yes, the distant past, and maybe the distant future !

I guess the author of the BC Broads Chart and the EA forecasters have just traced the zero sea level datum plus a metre or two.

And I thought it was an ancient map you had found :)

The public footpath which goes through the first 't' of Sharp Street starts off by going through the garden of a bungalow. It felt most strange to walk it, as there is no deliniation fence or hedge and I fully expected an irate owner to appear at any moment.