Johnny Crowes Staithe

Gracie

Johnny Crowes Staithe,(at least that's what I think it's called) I believe is on the River Ant is such a lovely mooring but never moored there  due to it always being taken (mainly by those pesky private owners :naughty:). Is it classed as a wild mooring and can anyone moor there? Also is there access to go for a long walk?

I am determined this year to nab that mooring do you reckon if I make a Private Mooring sign and put there I would get away with it :pirate Lol

Grace

• Like 1

I don't know for sure but I believe it's between Barton Broad and the wind mill type thingy's at How Hill. I may have it completely wrong, so hopefully someone will come along and put me right.

If I am right it's a small dyke with space for at least one large Boat, with a lovely flat grassed area.

Grace

Gracie, Johnny Crowe's staithe is owned and maintained by Catfield Parish Council. It is a 'permissive' mooring, in that parishioners have a right to use it and non-parisioners are given permission to use it, by the PC.

There are two walks, one easy, the other not so easy (depending on the time of the year).

1. There is a footpath which goes inland, alongside the dyke. This leads to a green lane, and, eventually, to a metalled lane (Sharp Street), where Sid Clarke, (local artist) has his gallery. Continuing past the gallery takes you to the road which links Ludham and Catfield.

Before reaching the Ludham-Catfield road, there is a public footpath on the left, which will, eventually, lead you to Catfield Church.

Turn right just before the gallery and the lane takes you to How Hill.

Be aware that there is no pavement alongside these rural roads, and precious little in the way of grass verges, in most places..

2. There is a path alongside the river, heading upstream. This can become very overgrown. The section between the staithe and Mud Point is also used by anglers and is generally OK, although there is usually shrubbery between the path and the river bank. It is possible to continue beyond Mud Point to then venture inland, along a raised earth bund, called The Rhond. This bit, again, belongs to the PC and is a permissive footpath, as above.

IF you can get to The Rhond, it is a very pleasant walk. A 3 metre swathe is cut through the vegetation, to facilitate walkers. The remains of the Catfield drainage mill are visible on the other side of a dyke and, at the right time of year, swallowtail butterflies are often seen (the adjacent fen is owned by Butterfly Conservation). From the other end of The Rhond, it is a 30 minute walk into Catfield, along narrow, quiet lanes.

My wife and I have done the circular walk from Catfield, along The Rhond, river bank to the staithe, then Sharp Street, the public footpath and back to Catfield. It's not for the faint-hearted, or for anyone wearing flip-flps and shorts, but it is certainly possible to go for shorter strolls from the staithe.

I would say the use of a large scale Ordinance Survey map, showing public footpaths, is essential, if wandering too far, though.

Edited to add, the staithe is located on the right-hand side, heading upstream from How Hill. It just looks like the entrance to a dyke, with room for one boat. Unofficial mooring posts have been added.

It can hardly be classed as a 'wild mooring', being owned and maintained by the PC. 'Undeveloped mooring' might be a better description.

• Like 3

Oi Gracie! I resemble that remark, I'm a private owner and in thirty years on the Ant I've only managed to get on there once and I think that was around 1987,  Seriously though the only time I see that mooring free is during the winter, from the start of Spring until the end of the season it always seems full, and most of the boats I see moored there seen to be there for days, we even saw two smallish boats there for nearly two weeks, so don't hold out any hope of mooring in that spot, and now you've called me pesky if I do see it empty I'll moor there just so you can't,, :dance so if you see a Hampton 25 moored there called Crackers that'll be me,,,, Fish1

• Like 1

It's certainly a challenge to do the full circle. If you do decide to have a go, may I suggest you go clockwise, that is, along the river bank, then along The Rhond. If you go the other (easy) way first, you might get to the river-end of The Rhond and find the undergrowth along that part of the river bank back to the staithe impenetrable (without a machete) and have to back-track...and it's a long way back.

As a tempter, there's a very nice pub (The Crown) in the middle of Catfield, and, opposite the pub, is the Post Office Stores, where you can get tea/coffee/sandwiches/cakes...eat in or take-away.

I probably shouldn't say this (too much publicity?) but there is another permissive staithe owned by the PC at Wood's End (tucked away off Barton Broad). From there, a green lane leads towards Catfield, past the landward end of The Rhond, to a metalled, narrow, quiet lane, which leads to the Church, then to the village, so all the enjoyment of a similar walk can be had, if the river bank is too overgrown (it's about a 30-40 minute stroll).

Obviously, from the lane, The Rhond can be accessed at its more used end.

• Like 1

Paladin! is that the one at Barton where the water point is, if so I've moored there a few times and it's very nice, again ones of those "if you can get on it" moorings, it would be interesting to find out about ejecting them Paladin, I'm pretty sure that most of the boats moored there have no Idea you need permission, I don't think I've ever seen a sign saying so, How would say Gracie apply for permission and how long would it last for?  I have a bad habit of just mooring anywhere if I don't see a sign telling me not to, in thirty years I've never been asked to move but I have wondered if the same thing would happen if I were in a hire craft, I've even moored at the end of peoples Gardens, I've seen them out in the garden and asked if it's Ok to moor there for a couple of hours and had one or two tell me to stay as long as I want as long as I don't go onto the property, had one guy many  years ago on a boat at Neatishead that had broken down, I helped him get it going again because I always carry Electrical spares, while talking we got around to moorings at Neatishead and how you can't always get on there, turned out he owned a big house there and said I could use his private moorings anytime I was there and even gave me a key to the chain across the dyke entrance, I can't remember his name but I think it was John and he owned Sutton seeds, the wife often says I have a cheek, but I say if you don't ask you don't get, It's one of the reasons I love the Broads I've always found everyone Friendly, and if you approach them in the right way and with a smile they usually help you  out,,

Gracie! I'll let you off this time, I use other forums, nudge! nudge! and have been insulted by the best of them without taking offence, :cry

Frank,,,,

I know (famous last words) that Wood End staithe is somewhere on the left of Barton going down river, but not sure exactly where, also not sure how safe it is outside the posts to be chugging around trying to find it. Lime Kiln Dyke is clearly marked and has a channel to follow but can you just go outside the posts and search when looking for Wood End.

Mowjo, it is not necessary to ask permission to use the two Catfield staithes. It is something that was agreed by the PC many moons ago. I think it might even date back to the Inclosure Acts of the 19th century, which is when the parish gained the staithes. My comment about ejecting was made in jest. It's hard enough getting folk to move up a bit, let alone removing themselves entirely.

littlesprite, on Barton Broad, the channel markers mark the dredged channel. Outside the channel is perfectly safe for most motor cruisers. Sailing boats with deeper draught might find problems in places. On race days, I will often transit the broad, outside the posts, on the eastern side, just to keep out of the way. But avoid the areas marked with the bouys which say 'Shallow Water'. They are there for a purpose! You'll see them around Pleasure island and near the reed bed on the eastern side.

To find the 'hidden' staithe, heading downstream, make towards the eastern end of Pleasure Island. Just before reaching the island look to the left and you'll see the entrance to the dyke leading to the staithe. Go into the dyke slowly, keeping to the middle. Incidentally, as you get to the entrance, on the right can be seen what remains of the 'Pauline', a Thames barge that was brought to the Broads in the 1930s and modified to a pleasure cruiser.

At the end of the dyke, straight ahead are private moorings (at the end of someone's garden). Wood's End staithe is to the right. I go in to have a look two or three times every season. There's not a great deal of turning space and I have a crew member (the wife) at the stern to watch for tree roots, but I have no problem with my Bounty 30. I would recommend that anyone going in there with a longer boat considers turning on ropes.

Again, there are no signs, but the PC permits only 24hr mooring. Anyone overstaying is simply taking the p...

• Like 1

Paladine I must thank you once again for such in depth information, you have answered a lot of questions I also had about Barton Broad, I find it hard to believe that people ignore the shallow water signs and get stuck they are obviously there for a reason. Great pictures by the way.

Grace

You're very welcome, Gracie. Thank you for the compliment.

There's so much more to the Broads experience than the bright lights (?) of Wroxham and Gt Yarmouth, and all the pubs in between. It's the out-of-the-way bits that do it for me.

Hi Paladin! I know your comment was made in jest :grin: I just presumed that as it was owned by the Parish you needed permission to use it, now I know it's for everyone I may even move up a bit and let Gracie in, thirty years on the Broads and that's the first I've heard about the Barton one, i'll have to look out for that one,

Frank,,,,,

The dyke to the Woods End Staithe is plenty deep enough for just about all you motor cruisers I would think.  I go in there with my sailing boat, which draws about 1.2 metres, no problem.  Turning is a bit tight if all the private moorings are occupied, but with a little patience and a lot of backward and forward no major problem.  Getting in (and out) of the dyke, aim 'square' from a little way out on the broad, don't try to follow the bank and turn in close.

I've been in there and found the 'public' mooring occupied, and started to turn to go out, to have a private mooring owner shout "were you planning to stay long?" and when I said I just wanted to brew up and have some lunch got invited to moor up on their patch for a while.

Hi

This is my first post so hello to everyone. I have been viewing for some time but this topic persuaded me to join. I hope to visit these two moorings at some point but it is unlikely I will get to the Northern Broads this year as I need to feel comfortable with my little yacht before I attempt the Breydon / Yarmouth passage. However as a keen walker I would like to know a bit more about these walks. I have checked Paladin's description on the OS map but I don't quite get it! Any chance Paladin that you could give a few grid references?

• Like 1

Hi, Samuel, welcome to the forum. I'll certainly have a go at posting the map references, but I'm a bit rusty on that aspect, so it won't be tonight.

Edited to add:

Tell a lie, I'm not as rusty as I thought I was (I hope). List to follow in a few moments.

• Like 1

Johnny Crowe's Staithe - 368198

Wood's Ends Staithe - 363215

The Rhond (Catfield end) - 366214

Mud Point - 371203

I use the OS Landranger 134, which has the following marked on it:

Fenside, which leads to Wood's End staithe, and Sharp Street, which leads to Johnny Crowe's staithe.

If you put 'Catfield' into Google and, once you've zoomed in and located Johnny Crowe's staithe (just a little to the north of the last How Hill mill), go onto satellite view and you can actually see a boat moored there.

As you go north from J.C's staithe, you'll see there is a thin width of river bank, with the river to the left and a dyke on the right. Follow this northwards and you'll see the dyke turns sharply right and the 'footpath' follows it inland. This is the beginning of The Rhond (river end). Track The Rhond all the way to Fenside, turn left and that takes you to Wood's End staithe.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.

(For some strange reason, Google has labelled The Rhond as the River Ant)