East Coast Diary

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last time I saw the oyster moulds they had been moved back into a shed in Rackheath,that was about 6 months ago, I know that shed is being used for something now so I dont know where the mould went unless it was on its way to Brundall??

I guess building will probably be offered to Landemores or Windboats but they are not set up for that design...?

The Nelson is designed by Arthur Mursell, he is doing the modeling for me on the Moxham drawings, he knows a thing or two about hull design (they both do really :) )

• 4 weeks later...

Forecast was for a pretty grim weekend but as it happened Saturday was a real surprise early on, so a run up to Ipswich given the forecast for later Saturday and particularly Sunday was the plan.

The real beauty about this area is within reason you can always get a run out somewhere, as dependent on wind direction there is always a relatively sheltered run.

Guests on Thistle enjoying their day out

1032130894_9GAgj-L.jpg

The skipper of Kingfisher was testing his newly fitted VP engine information system I am sure it will make coffee as well

1022671475_bpCuc-L.jpg

1022670030_GwqZF-L.jpg

On the way through the lock we saw Merlyn & Lorraine taking their ship for a run out; happy I am sure not to be constrained by non opening bridges.

Evening saw some gastronomic fish delights - just for Gavin :naughty:

1032131863_E73Mf-L.jpg

1032133859_Kp5ME-L.jpg

The Bass was definitely line caught!

Overnight the wind had as forecast increased and saw us heading back to Shotley in a Southerly 7

Someone's ship was back from its run and nicely tucked up

1032135370_mU5rB-L.jpg

Wind over tide around the Stour/Orwell confluence was 'interesting' when combined with wind over tide. Plenty of yachts were broaching in the higher gusts as the exited the relative calm of the Orwell into Harwich Harbour proper.

Good to be getting the use out of the ship even on a inclement weekend

Yep, Merlin & Lorraine's ship, I think they finally had enough of "that bridge" and voted with their props. Food was at the Salthouse. Sadly the last Anchor has gone completely down the lavie, we had our yacht club do there and it was well under par. The Salthouse has just got max rosettes and is definitely the best place for yards around now.

Hi All

That looks a handy bit of kit you have there david,be interested to know more about it.

Hi Gav

Yes we are now based at neptune,no more rushing to get to a bridge opening only to be told they cannot open as short handed, or its broken,the people that operate the locks at ipswitch and shotley are so accommodating,and friendly .We thoughly recomend the move,

What motors do you have? that particular display needs a can bus, though there are ways of converting existing resistive senders to NMEA2000 sentences and displaying much the same information on some plotters. I have that connected also to my Raymarine C120 at the nav position and whilst that doesn't give trip info it does give GPH / LPH along with the usual volts, oil, turbo boost.

Hi All

That looks a handy bit of kit you have there david,be interested to know more about it.

Hi Gav

Yes we are now based at neptune,no more rushing to get to a bridge opening only to be told they cannot open as short handed, or its broken,the people that operate the locks at ipswitch and shotley are so accommodating,and friendly .We thoughly recomend the move,

Ah yes, I think we may next season at least somewhere in the vacinity as we live in Ipswich anyhoo - Broads moring suits me for this year as Im away from November to May myself

Salthouse - yep everyone keeps telling me how good it is - as for the LA - that's a shame - it used to be pretty decent.

Must come and say hello to everyone one weekend, especially when the Shotley Navy are venturing up-river!!

We have twin volvo penta tamd 63p engines,and 2no raymarine widesceen c type plotters,new last year,ok on basic servising ect not to good on the electronics .

The C's will display the info OK if you can get it to them, in fact they will display both motors side by side, it should be a simple matter if your engines are EDC. If they are the earlier non EDC type it will be a bit more complex as it will be necessary to convert all the sensors you want to use from resistive to NMEA2000 and build a network backbone. If you are unsure and would like me to have a quick look next time we are in Ipswich or you are in Shotley you just have say.

Antares_9 wrote:

If you are unsure and would like me to have a quick look next time we are in Ipswich or you are in Shotley you just have say.

Thank you for the offer,would be very helpfull,maybe we could have that beer thats been eluding us. cheersbar

Indeed, that's not a bad idea, preferably AFTER :naughty: I’ve had a look. We’ll be in Shotley all day Saturday and Sunday am if you’re around, otherwise I’m sure we will be around Haven at some point soon.

• 4 weeks later...

It was Shotley's 'Laying Out' supper on Saturday night.

As I understand it this is a quaint old tradition practised by Yotties who put their ships into hibernation until April; cant understand it myself ;)

As it was likely to be a heavy night the thought of taking our ship back to Shotley with a potentially pounding head meant that I was persuaded to stay at the Salthouse; oh it took some persuading :liar

SWMBO checks out the view from a different direction to that we normally see in Ipswich

1071208933_fgZp5-L.jpg

That view with one of those awfully common boats going past :naughty:

1071211163_vjeni-L.jpg

Merlyn & Lorraine look to have found an easier berth :clap

1071214364_dGFz7-L.jpg

1071211949_BDp5e-L.jpg

Yotties sandwiched between motor boaters

1071225342_EjSoo-L.jpg

While many yachts are put to sleep on the Orwell more sea room is available for those that do not sleep :dance

Hi all

old mooring had better views,(sat nights was one of them)but noise kept swmbo awake,allso small sailing boat complained we had not left him sufficient room,and he kept nearly running into us,then fending off with a metal boat hook,his reply when i shouted please do not,came back don't worry we push off under the waterline, :o

Gav

you must have seen my mooring warps,have a safe trip hope to see you both next year

• 3 weeks later...

A pretty dull misty damp weekend but a run out to Walton to blow a few Spiders out of the exhausts and test the mechanical systems.

Flat calm until we came out of the shelter of Languard when a NE not much was creating a bit of chop. I never cease to be amazed on the East Coast at the difference wind direction makes; North or East not much is always cuts things up more than SW-NW quite a lot.

Musical berths were occurring with an MSC no sooner clearing its berth than this pretty battered Maersk getting ready to berth.

1099154728_Bb3Q3-L.jpg

Battered

1099154371_RfjAF-L.jpg

1099154796_qJgHe-L.jpg

Slow Down

1099153882_VXzH3-L.jpg

• 3 months later...

What a great March weekend; you could almost have been forgiven for thinking summer is round the corner.

Nothing too testing this weekend but a nice trip in the sunshine to Ipswich. Good to get the prop shaft turning and a few spiders blown out of the exhaust.

Some very nice Adnams was on in the Yacht Club and the best value quality steak in Ipswich :bow

Nice run back today but the fog was starting to descend off Languard Point. Some very high tides this weekend (over 4 meters and negative at LW) the water was positively steaming in yesterday when we left.

http://www.hha.co.uk/navigation.html