East Coast Diary

This weekend saw me being press ganged into doing the Yacht Club Photo Shoot.

One Motor Boat wanted some photo's near the Jewel of the Sea but we also managed some next to a wind farm service vessel.

Then we anchored up the Orwell and awaited the Yachts doing their thing.

Not wanting to waste time we had some bait so while I snapped away David had the rods out trying to catch a Bass. This was not helped by a trawler running up and down :cry:

The weather was very good so we enjoyed an afternoon of leisure in the sun on the Orwell before retiring to The Shipwreck bar.

Little & Large

CRW1485-1024%20X%20400.jpg

Wind Farm Service Vessel

CRW1498-XL.jpg

Gives an idea of the scale

A81H2648-XL.jpg

Nick our fish..............

A81H2840-XL.jpg

Post Shoot refreshments!

CRW1536-XL.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who said Indian Summers don't happen any more!

For mid October the weather was just stunning.

We were due at Walton & Frinton Yacht Club for a quiz night but did not fancy the 'pond' this time given the lack of flexibility to get out (see a previous post in this thread with photo's of the pond) it would mean getting back to the Marina later than we wanted on Sunday given that we have a 3-3.5 hour journey home, we therefore opted for Titchmarsh and a taxi round to W&F for more flexibility.

Just before departing Phil & Carron decided that the list of onboard jobs they had could wait given the weather and decided to join us.

A NE wind of 16 knots or so made it a splashy trip round to the backwaters nothing to bother us but it never ceases to amaze me how anything with a bit of East in it soon pushes up the wave heights. As ever Titchmarsh proved how very good with visitors they are giving clear instructions however in this case we were allocated berths when they were booked on Friday :bow We were soon tucked up and sampled a very nice pint or two of Charlie Wells Eagle in the 'Harbour Lights'.

In no time we were round at W&F where one of the yachts served pre dinner 'drinks & Nibbles' and were surely looking to see how many people it took to sink a 35 ft yacht.... Phil & I decided to see how well Red Wine comes off the cockpit and upper works :oops:

A most enjoyable night was had by all but unfortunately despite us coming third and another Shotley team second we were pipped by W&F.

Cool night but today was one of the best mid October days I can recall. We had a very enjoyable meander back to Shotley in the most glorious weather. Hosing the boats down in the sunshine you could have quite easily been convinced this was June.

Apologies for the grainy photos, Tina was in control of the camera and thought ISO 3200 was required.....

Binky stretching her legs with the mast of HMS Ganges in the background

IMG2993-XL.jpg

Quizzing - Phil hiding!

IMG3005-XL.jpg

Superbly Blue Sky this morning

IMG3001-XL.jpg

Sea Scouts just get enough wind to get out of the way

IMG3023-XL.jpg

• 3 months later...

Kiki is out of the water for a few weeks for a scrub, anodes and some Prop 'fettling'.

Unfortunatly I had forgotton my camera and only had my phone but took a couple of images to compare the state of the anodes now a Galvanic Iasolator is fitted v's before.

Before

1238173393_nhnED-M.jpg

1238174789_Dtmqt-M.jpg

After

Stern-Anode-M.jpg

Trim-Tab-Anode-M.jpg

As you can see the Anodes are still working OK but not fizzing quite so fast.

The one reccomended by David and fitted is

IMG2228-M.jpg

I'm glad this topic came up Perry as I definately want one of those fitted.

Our drive leg case probably has two years tops left before it needs replacing and that was all thanks to the previous owner not maintaining the anodes, let alone shore power connection :Stinky

Yes, simply break the earth cable and fit it in line, you can even buy isolators that have a male & female inlet / outlet that you simply insert in the shorepower lead if you can't be arsed to fit one permenantly. The important thing is to fit them before any bonding or battery chargers etc and then take the readings as in the manufacturers spec sheet to ensure they are working as they are intended.

For the un-initiated (like me) could someone post a simple explanation as to how these work.

As I understand it the basic problem comes when someone's boat in a marina has a power leakage into the water.

If your boat is connected to earth then a circuit is set up through your boat which attacts electrons from your anodes and hence results in corrosion of the anodes.

These isolators must break the connection to earth, but must still allow this to work if something untowards happens...

Are they a bit like an RCD breaker in reverse i.e. they cut in when required?

That's about it Martin, they will not allow a small current to pass but should a fault occur then the earth is reconnected. There is another option called an isolation transformer which are more (hugely more) expensive but are usually for use on larger vessels and perform the task in a much more reliable fashion, oddly enough I am in the process of fitting two of those at the moment, paired to a 3600w inverter charger for critical 24v systems, the other direct on non critical.

For those who wish to be better informed (and possibly a bit scared) on which to choose http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/galv_tran.html

post-74-136713884794_thumb.jpg

Hmm, maybe this should be in the tech sections, but just had a look at the Sterling Power galvanic isolators and notice they come with different amp ratings. As my shore power is the standard 16A, I assume there is little to be gained from buying the 30A isolator?

• 2 weeks later...

A further job on the list for this year is to replace the Danforth Anchor with the Delta I have 'in stock'.

While I have had no big issues with the Danforth on clean sand or Mud some of the areas on the East Coast that have a covering of weed do benifit from a Delta or CQR Pattern. We have had the odd occasion where we have had to re anchor or move slightly due to the holding in weed. Best c hange of some decent grip from your hand barke allows for a more peaceful night at anchor :grin:

Shame really as Kiki's Danforth is a shiney stainless model, still it will make a substantail Kedge/spare.

post-79-136713888039_thumb.jpg

Perfect East Coast handbrake Perry, now we just need to find some way of making it play nicely with the launching roller, I must remember to put my Danforth back on board as a kedge / back up too as it's currently lounging in the boat bit cupboard at home.

Previoiusly we spent 20 years in a heavy displacement motor sailor (7.5 tons dry!) up and down the East Coast and over in Holland. We found the CQR-type best for all round holding ability both at sea and inshore.

We still have a 35lb one in good nick for sale. Make us a sensible offer and it's yours!

Any of our other East Coast Salties experienced any issues with anchoring on the East Coast?

We anchored for the very first time overnight in Hamford Water last August. Our anchor is a Delta, and it held really well, despite going through 4 tide changes and a stiffening breeze the next morning. I have used it since in the silt on Oulton Broad for a quick stop, and again it worked well.

I used to find the old fisherman pattern useful when we found some rough ground to fish over too, not that it’s easy to find anything but sand and mud on the East Coast. The plough was as much use in that situation as the fisherman or grapnel pattern was in sand and mud.

Having talked to a few folks about anchors on the East Coast most favour Delta or CQR both based on the Plough pattern, this seems a pattern that really works in the mud and sand generally found down this part of the coast, clearly it works in Broads silt too Mark :grin:

Following behind but favoured by some is the Bruce which I don't have experience with but I guess being a plough type would be perfectly aqequate. The Danforth (Britanny) from personal experience as outlined earlier, is as soon as there is any bottom weed holding becomes more questionable.

I would have thought the Fisherman or Grapnel pattern would have been totally unsuitable around this part of the coast and can't say I have ever seen a boat around here with one on. The mechanics of the design and the type of bottom found would mean as one of my school masters used to say "you can't argue with the laws of physics"

Anyone exeprience of a Rocna :lol::lol:

Delta works well on Clanny whenever we have chucked it in. Had a Bruce Copy on our last boat and that was not as good, not sure whether that was down to the quality or the design. Could also have been down to not really knowing what to do with it but from memory we used to put out enough length.

• 3 weeks later...

I spent part of today getting Kiki ready for relaunch. We normally only have her out for a couple of weeks but on this occasion it has been 8 weeks!

To be fair this has entailed removal of the prop shaft to replace all three cutlass bearings which was not straight forward as the rudder had to be removed to do this. It was at this point that the 'stiffness' I have felt for most of this year became apparent... not as I thought just the feel of the new helm stiffer pump but caused by general crustaceia fouling Kiki's externally hung rudder, good job she has man sized rudder rams!

I have also been in conversation with Clements Marine including a couple of visits; I have been mightily impressed with this business. Paul the MD gave me a tour of the plant, the processes are something to behold. They work to class 1 and currently are producing props for the RNLI, Windcats and various other commercial boats. They had just produced a pair of the most spiteful looking props I have ever seen for the Sri Lankan Navy they will be shoed to a craft that with these on touches almost 60 knots :shocked The professionalism was second to none and we decided that for the use we put Kiki to these days she needed a prop with a bigger blade area for additional thrust (same size prop). Paul kept me updated through the process even though my spend relative to the other work he had on was pretty small beer but none the less I was treated as a 'customer'. I can thoroughly recommend Clements Marine.

http://www.clementsmarine.co.uk/

New and Old Prop same size just larger blade area

IMG3540-L.jpg

It was new anodes on and then polishing; but no not the normal arm aching pain but it was pretty straight forward thanks to my new best friend :clapimage-XL.jpg

IMG3549-L.jpg

IMG3548-L.jpg

Got the time Guv

IMG3545-L.jpg

Prop to go on and she can go back in to clear some space at Shotley for others waiting to come out.

Hope you've got a new berth Perry, having that parked next door is ging to make Kingfisher look more than a bit scruffy, I will have to get Jamie down for an upperworks polish sooner than I was going to now.

I will have to get Jamie down for an upperworks polish sooner than I was going to now.

I have ours to do but that can wait until we are relaunched.

I only had time to do a quick polish and seal on the hull but will compound the upper works before polishing and sealing.

You are welcome to boroow 'my friend' :naughty: Mind you we are parked so tightly I could probably carry on across!

Prop looks really good! I think I am going to wait until the summer lift out offer and then grab a week for escape. Really handy for us as we only live 15 mins up the road so should be able to get all of the planned jobs done, including changing a virtually new airmar transducer that seems to have gone 'plop'!