• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Remiss of me not to update this thread before now :oops:

Anyway the prospect of probably the best weekend of the year so what were our plans - The Blackwater; Walton Backwaters Ore & Alde?

No we were off to Ipswich.

To be fair this was arranged in the dark days of winter with Ian & Liz (Palmtree) part of Ipswich's Music Weekend we were off to see The Proms In the Park featuring Katherine Jenkins. We had such a good time last year we re booked for this year and in all fairness were really looking forward to catching up with Ian & Liz.

The weather on Saturday morning was the sort you dream off boating, we exited Shotley for a very pleasant run down the river

Flat calm looking towards the But & Oyster

IMG2685-2-XL.jpg

Ipswich Port Control held the lock for us so it was straight through into the wet dock.

There were quite a few boats jilling around for the lock out

IMG2687-2-L.jpg

We got our string ashore and after letting the engines cool a little a service was on the cards but I am afriad the good weather and the call off some Tanglefoot put paid to these plans and a 'chill out' was the order of the day.

While sat relaxing we could hear the occasional buzz of a Sealine F42 as it came sideways down the Haven as part of the Sealine Experience day with only the occasional bump into things (Don't worry Luke it only looked superficial :naughty: )

Early PM saw a contingent of Salty Bottoms call round for a chat it was good to catch up with you guys; I think your Sealine experience was more an afternoon ;) hope you had a good time. I am sure you can't wait to get your hands on your new ship Luke.

Salties enjoying their afternoon

IMG2692-2-XL.jpg

Early evening we were off for a sit in the park to listen to some music.

Interval gave time for a refill and a 'slice of cake'

IMG2695-2-XL.jpg

I have to confess to being disappointed with Katherine; marketing dream and good on the eye but I am afraid she did not do it for me.

Sorry for the poor photo

IMG2698-2-XL.jpg

We had a great evening DESPITE the Welsh warbler, she really should stick to arias and opera,where she excels. If Leonard Cohen was dead he would have been spinning in his grave. Really good evening nonetheless, great to meet up with Ian and Liz again.

Hi,

Katherine Jenkins :cry

Company cheers

Talking to someone at work today who went to a KJ concert at Thetford a few years back, she said KJ was not that good then and to make things worse their wine was confiscated as the bottle was glass. What was available for sale inside the venue was wine in plastic bottles at an inflated price, what a surprise.

Ian

Strange though Ian as it was a Proms in the Park with Katherine Jenkins but we got Katherine Jenkins and two Proms numbers shunted in at the end and no Fireworks :cry

and to make things worse their wine was confiscated as the bottle was glass.

That is why I had mine disguised as an Intravenous Fluid bag although this was soon nick named the Colostomy Bag :norty:

Company made up for what the music lacked cheers

Bit of a mixed weekend.

I had a bit of an engine room day planned with Primary and Engine Filters to be changed and a general poke around before our holiday in a couple of weeks. Fuel filters for what the cost are a very expendable item as far as I am concerned and I often change these every 6 months.

Saturday evening saw us head of to West Mersea where our yacht club had a meal at The Victory http://www.victoryatmersea.com/index.cfm as I was in mechanical mode and the weather on Saturday was pretty gusty we decided to go by car and had a very pleasant evening; thanks for driving David my turn next time we need.

On Sunday the weather looked great for a run out and although I had tested the seals on the fuel filters under load in the Marina I was keen to give Kiki a run before our holiday.

We locked out in company with Kingfisher and had a steady tootle to Languard the amount of yachts out racing were significant but most were going nowhere fast due to the lack of wind. We increased the revs heading out towards the Naze when I smelt a burning smell and backed off immediately. On lifting the engine hatch I was greeted with smoke, steam and sea water gushing in from a 'popped' hose from the Oil cooler. It was particularly lucky it was calm and Kingfisher came alongside to lend a hand, we had a fair bilge full of water and the pumps were active.

After a hand from David we refitted the hose and tootled back at low speed to Shotley to try to patch things up.

On the way back we passed G&A making an "Escape" sorry for not hanging around guys but I had a bilge full of water and was keen to get back to our mooring and sort the issue; we don't normally run with fenders on our side decks :oops:

On return to the Marina I was able to inspect things more closely and it it clear that despite a bit of an OCD for checking hose clips are tightened; the pretty good quality Turkish Clips on Kiki do not have particularly good machined threads meaning you can think things are tight but perhaps they are not as secure as you think.

I only really trust one make of hose clip http://www.jcshi-torque.co.uk/ and not just that Palmtree of this manor an engineer I hold in high esteem works for this business but they hold Lloyd's Register approval for marine and offshore use. I had started a programme of changing over to these but still had some to do - needless to say this is a priority to complete now. Hose clips are a low value item but perform a critical function. Based on today if you do nothing else check your hose-clips!

Hi,

Hose clips are an often ignored, even when doing a very important job like leveling a table at a Katherine Jenkins concert (evidence cropped from the photo).

I recommend using only good clips as breakage of the clip can result in cake falling off the table and spillage of wine.

They are also quite useful for keeping boats afloat ;)

Ian :Sailing

Ah thats why in between us arriving and locking out you had completed your journey!! And yes, I ahve no idea what was happening on Sunday but there were alot of yachts racing off-shore!! Have got a few photos on the camera of you guys pootling back to Shotley but have left the lead on the boat and so will have to wait for the weekend for an update!!

We made it back without any further incident and thoroughly enjoyed the trip too! Took an hour at 22 knots and two at 6, enjoying the sun on a completely flat sea, timed to roll into Lowestoft with just a few minutes to spare for the bridge!

Yes was a great day - we still have a few jobs to do but will get them done up here. We had the outdrive completely sorted with brand new UJ and what is left to do will get done in the near future! Incidentally I have the starter motor in my workshop here at the moment as someone elses idea of cleaning and servicing and mine are obviously completely different. Squirting it full of WD40 without making any attempt to strip and clean (Which is obviously what was done) Has meant today that I have completely broken it down, polished out the solenoid, cleaned the motor internals, fitted new motor brushes,removed all the rust from the gearing )As well as the mud!!!!! re-greased all moving parts, just a seized bearing to change tomorrow from the engaging shaft and then re-assemble and test..Have some very interesting photos which Im sure you will be interested to see at some point!

Glad the blue hulled machine was easily fixed!!!

just a seized bearing to change tomorrow from the engaging shaft and then re-assemble and test..Have some very interesting photos which Im sure you will be interested to see at some point!

Indeed I would, post 'em up when you get around to it, squirting WD in a starter (after a good fush with fresh water) is a good preventitive measure after a soaking but only as a pre curser to a full strip and clean as soon as possible.

Thanks for those Gav.

Mortified to have a hanging fender and on the side deck :oops:

But in defence we had a bilge full of water and the fenders were from Kingfisher alongside out at Languard.

I was more concerned about getting back to Shotley and sorting our issue than fender etiquette ;)

• 1 month later...

Bank Holiday weekend and we had plans of a myriad of options. As we got closer to the weekend the options with the weather reduced and our first choice Woodbridge informed us they were full.

Looked like our good old fall back Ipswich.

Arrived on Friday evening which tends to be a bit of a club informal evening in the Shipwreck for a pint and a catch up. We were just thinking about returning to our ships when in walked G&A; nice to meet you guys you were clearly on the late shift.

Off 8.00am to Ipswich where Andy got us shoe horned in although they were technically full; they like to challenge both of us each time we go to tighter moorings or to create moorings that are not there; luckily we have not failed yet :naughty:

The weather was mixed but Ipswich does offer a bit to do for everyone. The ladies went up to town while we serviced Kingfisher. I managed with a clumsy elbow to deposit about 1.5 litres of clean oil into Kingfishers bilge - still everything is nicely lubricated :cry:

Had a trip to the pictures and a meal in Chimichanga which was very good if you are looking for a reasonable eatery near the marina http://www.chimichanga.co.uk/locations/ipswich/

The wind was a feature of the weekend and you can certainly tell we are nearing the 'season of mists and mellow fruitfulness' as the mornings and evenings are cooling down.

I am sure Kiki has an RNLI sign down the side...... after rescuing a yacht last year today as coming up to the Orwell Bridge we come up to a yacht which has the lady on said yacht shouting they are on fire. We make an about turn and call said yacht and get no reply but note the skipper is deploying the anchor in the channel and has calmed his other half down. She shouts something about sparks coming out of the engine? but we establish they are not on fire and not in any immediate danger. The skipper calls up Volunteer and in a couple of minutes the RIB is haring down to them ready to tow them into Ipswich - alls well that ends well.

I very good weekend and although we have not been far the area allows you to get out and turn the engine over even when the weather is less than ideal.

Was definitely good to see you all together on Friday, our weekend went nearly according to plan, but we got away on Sunday rather than saturday as our good old friendly starter motor needed a bit of a re-doing (The solenoid microswitch hasn't survived the rebuild and the trauma of recent events!)

Have a good weekend this weekend though as whilst I'm stuck at home, I bet the world and his mate are out and about boating!!! :Stinky