False Police Notices

Paladin

When going through Norwich last week, I stopped briefly at the mooring just downstream of the Novi Sad bridge, from which Morrison's can be accessed. There are trees along the mooring, to which were attached notices, apparently put there by Norfolk Police, limiting mooring to 2 hours and no overnight mooring. I've attached photos of them.

I have queried this with Norfolk Police and have been told that they do not regulate moorings on the Broads and these are not their notices. post-117-0-88895200-1403958170_thumb.jpgpost-117-0-80785900-1403958191_thumb.jpg

I think I would have guessed that....

So who did put them up?

Bearing in mind that the signs carry the crest and slogan of the Norfolk Police, would you chance not knowing about a Norwich City bye law that might result in you finding a fixed penalty notice on your boat when you returned to it? I doubt whether many hirers (or private owners, for that matter) would take that chance.

I'm still making enquiries, so, if I find out who's responsible, I'll let you know.

• Like 1

I have moored here a few times to use the shops, there used to be smaller metal ones on their own posts saying the same thing, with Norfolk Police on them.

These were by the the new pedestrian bridge.

It seemed strange to me to see a police notice for boats.

Bearing in mind that the signs carry the crest and slogan of the Norfolk Police, would you chance not knowing about a Norwich City bye law that might result in you finding a fixed penalty notice on your boat when you returned to it? .

Yes, but I have "insider" knowledge ;-)

Insider knowledge? You are a wag Matt!

We didn't see them when we considered

stopping off there 3 weeks ago for a

trip to Morries.

They don't look good enough to be

'official' Police notices IMHO.

I think someone has put them there to

keep the liveaboards away of which we

did see 2 on our way into Norwich and

out again.

Impersonating a police officer or police

notices is an offence(As Wonga are finding

out).

Impersonating a police officer or police

notices is an offence(As Wonga are finding

out).

Impersonating a police officer - yes, an offence.

The only offence I can find re the notices relates to the copyright of the police logo. As I understand it, Wonga may be investigated regarding sending out false letters. From the Guardian "The Law Society, which represents 160,000 solicitors across England and Wales, said it had asked the Metropolitan police to investigate three offences: one of obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception and blackmail, and separate offences under the Solicitors Act 1974 and the Legal Services Act 2007."

You might expect a little too much there!

I can only say that I have been assured by the police that they will endeavour to have the signs removed as soon as possible. I wouldn't actually expect them to make regular checks, though. I think they have more important matters to which to attend.

• Like 1

.....I'm still making enquiries, so, if I find out who's responsible, I'll let you know.

Good for you Paladin, it's bl**dy annoying when people try it on like that.

Much more blatant than the frequent "Polite Notices" that you often see with the logo.

It would be great to see the instigator really jumped on.

Could they have been put up by Community Support officers who have just run off a couple on the printer  of signs and put them up – perhaps to do with the local residents association or something.

We have had signs around my area that Community Support officers have put up and look very similar complete with ‘safer neighborhoods’  logo warning about prosecution for dumping rubbish.  However I understand that is a Council issue – fixed fines and all that, not a Police issue.

BroadsBeat have said these signs were not put up by police. I would presume that would included PCSOs, but enquiries continue :naughty:

Regarding warning against depositing rubbish, there is a significant difference in that depositing rubbish can lead to a criminal conviction in a magistrates' court. Overstaying at a mooring (other than a BA mooring) is simple trespass, which is not a criminal matter..