Eberspacher or webasto

I've done a virtual handshake with Tom at Brundall based JPC Direct for a complete 2 outlet Webasto marine kit and thermoducting! He offered a really good price but good to see a small Norfolk company can beat many big online chandlers and far better service!.. cheersbar

Only thing is we have to come up and collect august bank holiday (Of course he will post but I'd rather collect and I don't need much of an excuse to come up!!)  So mum wherever you are I need the boat lol!

Thanks for your help though everyone.. I need a cooker next :shocked ...

Alan, you won't go far wrong with Tom. If you have any

issues during the fitting he will help you out, as he did

with ours. Top bloke.

I bet he suggested a D5 Hydronic for you?

I have one I bought I off a mate and have yet to fit when

I get the time, and a matrix unit. I intend if possible to

leave the air heater in place and fit the D5 as an extra

unit so as to have a back-up if one decides to have a 'wobbly'!

All good plans and all that....... :shocked

• Like 1

Tom at JPC is a top bloke, for sure. 

To comment on Robin's post, it is important to note that running any kind of heating using the "waste heat" from the engine will only work if the engine is running unless you have a separate pump to make the hot water flow once the engine ceases. 

• Like 2

it is important to note that running any kind of heating using the "waste heat" from the engine will only work if the engine is running 

Absolutely correct Andy. The other point that I forgot to mention

is that for the matrix, being heated whilst the engine is running, will

require a 3 way switch, On/Off/On so that the matrix blower can

work without the heating being switched on. Something that Tom

sorted for us too.

I’m sorry I did not maybe make myself clear in my original post.

I did not mean to use waste heat from the engine, I meant you buy the ‘wet’ heating system’s diesel fired boiler unit but instead of then spending out (in the case of Mikuni) almost £140.00 for each matrix unit for each cabin, you put in a £13.00 Mondeo’s heater matrix instead in each cabin and have a 12v fan behind it – or spend £30.00 for the matrix and blower motor with speed controller out of a Mondeo as a complete unit and hide behind a suitable vent grill.

The manufacturer’s matrix’s come with 16mm copper connections in and out of it, so you can connect that to piping from the main unit and use an adopter to reduce to 16mm or enlarge up to whatever diameter the heater matrix out of the Mondeo is.

• 1 month later...

We are currently using both , simply because we had a webasto hot air unit already fitted , and when LBBY fitted our new front berth we had a Eberspacher D4 hydronic fitted with separate stats and matrixblowers  for main cabin galley and berth.

The hot air unit was fast , noisy and smelly on start up , but great heat output that was uncontrollable and vanished seconds after shut down

The  new hydronic is very controllable, heats quickly  , heats the water , and almost silent with no odours .  It can heat water only by press of a switch in the summer

Because it is sized to run about 3/4 to full on ave use it burns clean with much less coking etc

If the hot air ever wont start its gone , hydronic is deffo the way to go

Alex