Dedicated starter battery

Hi all, I'm looking for a dedicated 12 volt starter battery.

Have got a 110 amp multi purpose one but it don't just have enough grunt to spin the perkins sabre over very fast.... even after a good charge still seems sluggish.... had dedicated starter battery on old boat and all was good.

The multi /dual purpose one is fairly new and both takes and holds a good charge.

Was looking for something around 800 - 1000 cca battery. .. any ideas?.

I'd get the battery drop tested - basically like they do with a car battery, but a bit more technical. That will tell you if the battery is really good. Just cause it has a good voltage might not mean it is still up to the job. Some places will do it on the boat for you as well if the battery compartment is a pain to get to.

What sort of horses is that engine? My old boat had a similar size battery for domestic and another one for the engine on a 160HP diesel. would spin it no problem. 

The better multi purpose batteries now are good for both domestic and starter use, but speak to a good reseller.

Could also be a dodgy connection or dodgy solenoid as well.

Are you running one battery for engine and domestic? Unusual I would have thought, but you didn't mention if you had another battery on board.

Good luck.

Basic batteries at 1000cca need not be too expensive this one on Amazan has free delivery too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APVNI4Y

This battery monitor is on my 'one day list' to keep an eye on up to 600Ah of batteries: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088YDHS2

Then there is the digital battery load/drop tester too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CAL0RLO

Hmm. Are you sure this isn't a lazy starter?

You could be right Andy.....it has been getting slower to start gradually over the last couple of months.

i did try with a jump battery last weekend and to be honest it didnt spin over much quicker if anything at all even if its been running for a while still slow to spin over.

We are on the boat this coming friday for 10 days so will now try and source a new / recon starter for it.

I'd get the battery drop tested - basically like they do with a car battery, but a bit more technical. That will tell you if the battery is really good. Just cause it has a good voltage might not mean it is still up to the job. Some places will do it on the boat for you as well if the battery compartment is a pain to get to.

What sort of horses is that engine? My old boat had a similar size battery for domestic and another one for the engine on a 160HP diesel. would spin it no problem. 

The better multi purpose batteries now are good for both domestic and starter use, but speak to a good reseller.

Could also be a dodgy connection or dodgy solenoid as well.

Are you running one battery for engine and domestic? Unusual I would have thought, but you didn't mention if you had another battery on board.

Good luck.

Hi Mark... we have 3 domestic batteries all new and 110 amp....1 dedicated bow thruster / windlass battery 110 amp and 1 starter battery 110 amp..... all are less than 6 months old.... engine is only 85hp and until recently used to spin over well but over the last couple of months its been getting slower at spinning over even when a booster battery added to starter battery.

Andy could well be correct in it being the starter so will have a look at it this friday and see if i can locate one.

Thanks for that Andy..... will get the battery off and if easy enough will also remove the starter at the same time on Saturday morning to see what can be done as I would assume the starter is an exchange item.

Will pop in and see you as soon as possible.

There could also be a problem with a poor (corroded?) or loose connection between the battery and the starter or the return path to the battery.  This might also explain the "getting worse" symptom.  It might be worth just checking the connections are all good prior to replacing parts, but it sounds like you already have a good plan to resolve the problem.  I hope you manage to resolve it on Saturday!

• Like 1

Steve, its 'my' place too!

I am looking after the yard via moon fleet  and Paul deals with moorings, 

Yes we do repairs, ask Jason to have a look when you are next there unless it is a weekend, if so give Phil a call at moon fleet, he won't charge you to look.

I should have a spare starter for one of those somewhere as I run a couple which came back from France, may be worth a try before getting a new one just in case.

Several years ago we had a similar-sounding problem. The Perkins was very reluctant to start, it always needed the Thermostart and it kept hammering the battery. It eventually turned out the starter bearings were seizing. After having the starter reconditioned the difference was amazing. I hardly ever need the Thermostart now.

Many thanks all for the advice and info.... hope to get it sorted out in the 10 days we are there.... until its sorted will stay put in the marina as sods law says it will pack up completely while we are in the middle of nowhere  im guessing more time for a spot of fishing and a chance to try out the pubs in the village.

Hope to get it done asap so we can have a few days out on the boat...... will update as to outcome of problem ect.

One last little point of a possible problem would be your battery isolator switch, if its contacts are corroding/degrading then you might not not be getting good contact and thus the same problem as a loose cable connection. my guess would be starter is tired though.

• Like 1

We had both a lazy starter and he isolator switch on our old Calypso. At separate times that is A replacement or refurbished exchange starter for the 4108 was a scary price but refurbishment via Boulters was a very cheap. Never did understand the vast difference in price between a refurbished exchange starter and having your own rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk