Bonzo's cheat's "roast dinner".

Bonzo

I love a roast dinner, however, only having two burners and a grill on the old tub it is not possible to do a proper roast unless you have one of those collapsible ovens you used to be able to buy to sit over one of the burners.

Here is an easy way to do it without an oven:

Buy some good slices of cooked roast beef, pork or whatever.

Boil some floury potatoes such as Maris Piper until soft and let go cold or nearly cold. You can drop some parsnips and carrots in the pot half way through the boiling too.

Make some gravy of your choice either from stock cubes, butter and flour or use a proprietary gravy.

Drop the cooked meat in the gravy and keep hot.

In a large pan heat some good cooking oil, enough to cover the veg until a small piece of bread dropped in fries in about half a minute. I use rapeseed oil. Take out the bread and add the potatoes and gently fry until golden, adding the parsnips and carrots a minute or two after the potatoes. Just be careful with the hot oil as you are not in a stable kitchen.

When nicely cooked drain the veg on kitchen paper.

Just assemble on plates separating the gravy from the meat so that guests can add to their taste. you can add any other boiled veg you want.

I know it will never be the same as a real roast but it comes a darned good second place. I often do this when I am cooking just for myself and using leftover meat I have previously cooked and frozen. I have known commercial kitchens to cheat this way with roast potatoes as it saves a lot of time.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hi everyone try this.Burns night is Sunday 25 January 2015.

Go traditonal Haggis neeps and tatties.One of our Scottish friends said that he serves bacon with it,try it ,it gives a twist.

Haggis with a difference,buy a haggis,taking a small amount to make into the size of a golf ball,flatten into a disc,place into egg wash then oats,fry in a pan with a little oil,cook in the oven at 180 c, for about 5 mins until cooked.Try a corn fed chicken breast,with skin on,fry on both sides until brown,cook in the oven(180 c) about 15, 20 mins. mash potatoes,once cooked mash,salt and pepper,butter,keep hot,dice a shallot,cook in a pan until cooked without colour,add a good sized glass of whisky flame,adding chicken stock,reduce until it starts to thicken,taste for seasoning,blend or pass though a stainer.take a swede peel,taking large strips using a peeler,peel strips off the swede place into ice water leaving for about 5 mins,drain off and dry fry until nice an brown,adding a little salt.

Now assemble,

On your plate place the haggis in the middle of the plate,chicken on top,at 12 o'clock a good spoon of mash potato,around your plate add gravy,top with swede.

Then toast Robbie slainte.

Tips,chicken stock.I make mine using the bones from our roast dinner,place in a pan adding a rough cut of onions and carrots leek,bring to the boil,skim add pepper corns bay leaf and mixed herbs, reduce heat and cook for about 3 hours strain into a clean pan,reduce until about by half allow to set use when required or freeze.If you are unable to make your own,most supper markets now stock cook stock.

Ian

• Like 1

Scottish Ayrshire Burns version.

Go to Supermarket or Butchers, purchase freshly caught Haggis,

Take home to SWMBO.

Sit and watch TV while she cooks the Haggis in a microwave pyrex bowl (saves the steam she says)

Continue to watch TV footie.

Slice Turnip better known as tumshie in Ayrshire and boil for mashing get SWMBO to mash adding a knob of salted butter and seasoning.

Continue to watch TV....

Boil up Maris Piper tatties till ready for mashing. Add dash of cream and butter and champit them till ready for serving. Put all three items oan the plate, with a guid dram of Malt Whisky (Glenmorangie is ideal)

Enjoy!

• Like 4

Broad Scott:

You say "freshly caught haggis"  just how are they caught and is it done humanely?

Also, do you think it would be worth introducing the species to the Broads and would the introduction have any impact on the endemic wildlife?

I am having haggis tatties and neeps tomorrow in my local Wetherspoons pub. they have a Burns Week, not just a Burns night.

Absolutely yummy!

Hi Bonzo,

They only have three legs, this ensures they cannot fly, one leg is shorter than the rest so they can walk on hillsides. To catch these rare elusive creatures, one must go out at midnight, full moon preferably, trousers rolled up and wellies on to keep the noise level down.

Then you must very softly whistle the tune, "Oh whistle and I will come tae you my lad" and if they like the cut of your jib, they will respond by running towards you, a quick clout over its head, and the deed is done.

With regards to inducting them into Norfolk, they only breed on mountains and hillsides in Gods Country, or occasionally Wetherspoons! So regretably your idea cannot be put into practice, as they would have great difficulty walking on the flat Norfolk earth!

Do enjoy your trip to Wetherspoons, I suspect we may do something similar, if only to give SWMBO a night off from the kitchen patrol!

All the above information is strictly confidential to Forum Members!

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Thanks for the information Broad Scott, I found it very interesting. However, I wonder if the haggis would take to the built up banks which now flank much of the Broads. Perhaps they might be kidded that they are hills. I have heard that the haggis is very short sighted so it could happen with some perseverance.

cheers

• Like 2

Hi Bonzo,

Your theory could work, but as they hibernate for 10 months of the year, and only appear in January and late November so maybe too much expense moving breeding pairs.

Perhaps however, the RSPB may have other ideas? :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

When the kids were young we went to scotland a few times on the train.i used to say to them,keep a eye out for the haggis.You can spot them,they have three legs ,long pointy ears and big teeth.

Of course they would fall for it,saying i saw one over there.It did help to pass the times.

Ian rofl

• Like 2

Baitrunner:

I believe  that somebody took a picture of our own resident monster a couple of years ago. She was christened  Breydon Bess.

It would be a bit naughty to lift the picture off another website but it is there if you look for it.

Yes, The Broads National Park is really picking up. I visualise boats anchored all along Breydon Water full of monster spotters gorging themselves on locally caught haggis.

Talk about subject drift. Where is this thread going? 

When the kids were young we went to scotland a few times on the train.i used to say to them,keep a eye out for the haggis.You can spot them,they have three legs ,long pointy ears and big teeth.

Of course they would fall for it,saying i saw one over there.It did help to pass the times.

Ian rofl

:taunt: Mod's whats the "warn" button do??  pirate

I was taught the other way of catching the haggis.  As you say, go out onto the hillside at night, but take a friend.

When you spot a haggis coming round the hill, jump out with a great Scottish HALOOOO. the haggis will tack frit and turn round to run away but the short leg will then be on the downhill side resulting in it falling over and rolling downhill into the net that your friend was wielding. Job done.

I was taught the other way of catching the haggis.  As you say, go out onto the hillside at night, but take a friend.

When you spot a haggis coming round the hill, jump out with a great Scottish HALOOOO. the haggis will tack frit and turn round to run away but the short leg will then be on the downhill side resulting in it falling over and rolling downhill into the net that your friend was wielding. Job done.

Ah but Brian, my method is far more humane! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Broad Scott:

Ahaah! success! I spotted a haggis lurking in my local Aldi. As soon as it saw me it took off around the store. I really must get more exercise as I was quite out of breath when I cornered it. A quick whack with a crusty French Loaf dispatched it.

Guess what is on the menu for supper tonight?

• Like 3

Ian?

Geezaclue please, who in the name is Nassie? As for mid winter, with the Burns Supper season in full swing from this weekend, the beasties are ducking and diving to avoid being given the Selkirk Grace :naughty:

Selkirk Grace.

Some hae meat and canna eat, And some wad eat that want it, But we hae meat and we can eat, Sae let the Lord be thankit.

cheers Iain.      

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bonzo,

They only have three legs, this ensures they cannot fly, one leg is shorter than the rest so they can walk on hillsides. To catch these rare elusive creatures, one must go out at midnight, full moon preferably, trousers rolled up and wellies on to keep the noise level down.

Then you must very softly whistle the tune, "Oh whistle and I will come tae you my lad" and if they like the cut of your jib, they will respond by running towards you, a quick clout over its head, and the deed is done.

With regards to inducting them into Norfolk, they only breed on mountains and hillsides in Gods Country, or occasionally Wetherspoons! So regretably your idea cannot be put into practice, as they would have great difficulty walking on the flat Norfolk earth!

Do enjoy your trip to Wetherspoons, I suspect we may do something similar, if only to give SWMBO a night off from the kitchen patrol!

All the above information is strictly confidential to Forum Members!

cheers Iain.

Never laughed so much for a long time Ian! :clap

We managed to buy the last three from Aldi Store,s a few days ago. They are now in the freezer. You only seem to be able to get them here in January. Wendy & I just love the wee creatures. Long live the Haggis!  :bow

• Like 1