A brisk walking pace....

BroadScot

Hi Folks,

All of us who have cruised the Broads for years have read at some time or another that 5mph is a "Brisk" walking pace. Well is it? Is it 5mph? 

The reason I ask, I am now the proud owner of a Travel Mobile Scooter, named by me as "Scoot!" Original or what! :naughty:  Anyway I digress, back to this 5mph walking pace for cruising in those speed limit areas, Scoot is limited to about 4mph and a smidge down wind, I should know, I tested it today down at Ayr seafront. 

I asked two joggers, fit lads by the looks of their rippling muscles (calm down Grace, both married!) to keep up with me walking at this brisk 5mph speed, nae chance :norty: I won hands down over the quarter Lang Scots Mile.

Soooo somebody, has been telling porkies for years about this brisk walking speed malarky! I wonder who? :naughty:  :hardhat:

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Old wives tale Iain! if you have 36inch legs you might do 5mph at a brisk walk, but if someone had 29inch legs they would be running to do that speed,  you should bring Scoot here, I could put go faster stripes on her and fit you a turbo, easy to do just change a few pulleys and I can easily get you up to 25mph,, :eek:

When we used to hire years ago, we were always told if you`re in a 3mph limit and going past people walking on the bank, then you`re going too fast. I was always told that 4mph was a brisk walking pace, which is what i`ve always believed. I`ve always believed for many more years than i care to admit, that an AVERAGE normal walking pace was 3mph.

• Like 1

When we used to hire years ago, we were always told if you`re in a 3mph limit and going past people walking on the bank, then you`re going too fast. I was always told that 4mph was a brisk walking pace, which is what i`ve always believed. I`ve always believed for many more years than i care to admit, that an AVERAGE normal walking pace was 3mph.

that's what I was told as well

Old wives tale Iain! if you have 36inch legs you might do 5mph at a brisk walk, but if someone had 29inch legs they would be running to do that speed,  you should bring Scoot here, I could put go faster stripes on her and fit you a turbo, easy to do just change a few pulleys and I can easily get you up to 25mph,, :eek:

Ta Frank, great idea,

But errr I think...well anno it would make my warrenty nul n void lol

post-18022-0-24233400-1424304493_thumb.j

cheers Iain.

Eieio...I couldn't find a smiley for 'performs intervention' so I will have to spell your name incorrectly in the hope it brings you to your senses! Have you for one minute considered the severe side effects of doing 'Scooter'?

All of us make bad choices in life...you should have seen my first wife, mind the second was not an improvement,...ahem...but joining Hell's Grannies and riding around town on a 'mobility menace' is 'not taking a step' too far! Of course, like all narcotics, at first it starts with recreational use of the 'travel mobile scooter' as you 'need a bit of help' when you are out and about but rapidly you will be doing 'hard scooter'. All too soon your addiction will begin to increase. First its buying a panier to hang on the back of the scooter to carry all of your 'essentials'. Soon your bum expands so you need to buy more scooter. Next come the mirrors, then the perspex full rain cover. All too soon you will be found 'scooting' down the A47 on your way to knock down more innocent pedestrians on pavements and to bung up Tesco's. Eventually you will hit rock bottom, the day when you meet someone like Uncle Albert who's doing 'Zimmer Frame' and you grind to a halt trapped in a cul de sac in a pound shop, neither willing to give way locked in a 'scooter' and 'zimmer' induced stupor discussing who's more disabled.

Please Eieio give up the 'scooter' before its too late. The only sensible course is to buy a wooden broads cruiser. Going 'wooden cruiser' may not remove your dependency on scooter, but it will certainly make sure you have no money left for scooter. As a recreational drug 'Wooden Cruiser' is socially acceptable, and unlike Scooter, does make you look cool when used in public!

You know I only have your best interests at heart Eieio! 

JUST SAY NO! TO SCOOTER!  :naughty:

• Like 1

I'd say Neil's right on the money there.

I do a regular walk every day, which is exactly 3 miles, and it takes an hour at a "comfortable" pace.

I also acquired a "Garmin Forerunner" GPS wristwatch a couple of years ago to record my tracks when walking, cycling, and canoeing.

That confirms the 3 mph as my normal pace, and 4mph as fast as I can walk without actually running.

It shows just how much you can extend your exploring range with a bike, where you can easily do 10mph, by mostly freewheeling.

(though that is in Norfolk, nice and flat !)

And that exactly why I don't like the word average! one person earns £100.00 per week the other £900.00,  average wage £500.00 per week,

Bunch of Grannies walking at 1mph, me walking at 5mph to avoid someone, average speed 3mph,

Mow,,,

Yes I'm still in a picky mood,, :taunt:

• Like 1

Hi Mr Timborine, sorry TamperIain,

Many thanks for you most eloquent thoughts on my degeneration into "scootersville" well thats my name for it :naughty:

Trust me, I have NO intention of scooting along the A47, however, due to the crawling pace of the A17 I will have time to assemble my Scoot and go for a a jolly along it. My wife and sister in law, can drive the car and catch me up once the traffic jam has been reduced. Sadly in real life, that is but a pipe dream, as Scoot aint allowed to wheech along on roads, pavements for me, so to use a Forum members type remark "Get AFF my pavements!"

I would love to be the owner of a woodie broads cruiser, one though that aint five feet off the ground at the bow, my days of lowping of cruisers is but a distant memory.

I have a cunning plan if I meet up with Uncle Alert in his Zimmer, as yet the plan is still up in the grey cells of my pea sized brain. It was a bigger brain, but has shrunk dramatically since retirement!

I was not intending to bring Scoot to Norfolk, but as he disassembles into bits n pieces, he I am sure, would love the flat lands there. Not decided yet if he will venture down or not though.

As a well known yorkie on here would say, anyroadup Scoot is here to stay. It was so bracing and invigorating yesterday down at the Seafront in my home town of Ayr. Going one way was brill, the return trip was a rather wateryeyed affair.

Tim, I really do appreciate your concerns, but I have held back for over two years to buy one. The dastardly deed has been done. So lock up yer friends and family. The Scots Scooter Scoot is here to stay! :naughty::taunt: 

cheers Iain 

P.S. Like all famous and infamous racing drivers, I will be available for Scoot AutoGraphs in early May on the Broads.  :wave

• Like 1

Quote:  I was not intending to bring Scoot to Norfolk, but as he disassembles into bits n pieces, he I am sure, would love the flat lands there. Not decided yet if he will venture down or not though. :unquote.

You could always take the wheels off Ian, and attach some floats on it, so you could be towed behind the boat. No need to hire a dinghy. for getting ashore if you decide to mud weight somewhere.

Quote:  I was not intending to bring Scoot to Norfolk, but as he disassembles into bits n pieces, he I am sure, would love the flat lands there. Not decided yet if he will venture down or not though. :unquote.

You could always take the wheels off Ian, and attach some floats on it, so you could be towed behind the boat. No need to hire a dinghy. for getting ashore if you decide to mud weight somewhere.

Geoff,

Great idea, but, due to the elf n safety brigade, it would be deemed as dangerous and not showing due care and attention to other river users. Plus, you aint seen SWMBO steering a forward steering boat! I am sure we use twice the fuel when she is at the helm! :naughty: zig zagging would not be a good idea, with me tied on at the stern! :norty:

cheers Iain.

Iain! I got thinking, once I fit the Turbo and a few go faster bits plus the all terrain tyres, I may as well do you a full conversion so you have something usefull to the rest of us, or you can suppliment your pension and make a few bob to buy your boat, the idea is for a mobile beer cooler, when your not keeping us all supplied with beer there's no reason you can't do the rounds of the Broads selling nice cold beer, going by all the empty beer cans I see on the Broads plus all the P-heads, I reckon you could make enough in just one season to buy that boat, you will only be able to do it for one or two seasons because it's illegal for anyone to have a better boat than me!

Frank,,,

post-39-0-88889000-1424351116_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Iain! I got thinking, once I fit the Turbo and a few go faster bits plus the all terrain tyres, I may as well do you a full conversion so you have something usefull to the rest of us, or you can suppliment your pension and make a few bob to buy your boat, the idea is for a mobile beer cooler, when your not keeping us all supplied with beer there's no reason you can't do the rounds of the Broads selling nice cold beer, going by all the empty beer cans I see on the Broads plus all the P-heads, I reckon you could make enough in just one season to buy that boat, you will only be able to do it for one or two seasons because it's illegal for anyone to have a better boat than me!

Frank,,,

Brilliant Frank :clap  :clap  :clap  Oh that IS tempting! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

Iain! I've been real busy with your Scooter this afternoon, fitted the turbo and tested it on the rolling road, at 8000 revs we are maxing out at 125mph, I just have to work on how to stop it now, I been thinking about fitting a drag chute but it will still need half a mile to stop, I'm now on the design stage but as you'll be doing up to 125mph I thought this one would do the trick, and it's very convenient,  I made you a little trailer just in case you want some company when you out, if your not too keen on the second seat I can either fit a bath or armchair, I thought about a shower but it messes with the aerodynamics and I wouldn't want you to end up killing yourself,,

Frank,,,,,

post-39-0-45901200-1424370898_thumb.jpg

post-39-0-25800700-1424371130_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Iain! I've been real busy with your Scooter this afternoon, fitted the turbo and tested it on the rolling road, at 8000 revs we are maxing out at 125mph, I just have to work on how to stop it now, I been thinking about fitting a drag chute but it will still need half a mile to stop, I'm now on the design stage but as you'll be doing up to 125mph I thought this one would do the trick, and it's very convenient,  I made you a little trailer just in case you want some company when you out, if your not too keen on the second seat I can either fit a bath or armchair, I thought about a shower but it messes with the aerodynamics and I wouldn't want you to end up killing yourself,,

Frank,,,,,

Hi Frank,

Many thanks, I will let SWMBO test them out first, well err best to be safe eh? :naughty:

Nice to see Frank and Leo that Scoot's pals have many other uses :clap

cheers Iain.

I'd say Neil's right on the money there.

I do a regular walk every day, which is exactly 3 miles, and it takes an hour at a "comfortable" pace.

I also acquired a "Garmin Forerunner" GPS wristwatch a couple of years ago to record my tracks when walking, cycling, and canoeing.

That confirms the 3 mph as my normal pace, and 4mph as fast as I can walk without actually running.

It shows just how much you can extend your exploring range with a bike, where you can easily do 10mph, by mostly freewheeling.

(though that is in Norfolk, nice and flat !)

As far as cycling in Norfolk goes, it`s NOT as easy as one would think. A colleague of mine years ago was an avid cyclist, and cycle tourist, who had done a tour of Norfolk. He said it`s not as "flat" as people might think, and with "gradual" undulations, it`s very tiring.

He explained it that when you`re doing proper hills, like we had in the North Downs, you might be putting in a lot of effort climbing, but you also get a rest when going down hill. In Norfolk, the slopes are long and gradual, but the downward part is`nt steep enough to free wheel for a rest..  He said it was actually the most tiring tour he`d done because of it.