Boat Toll non payers taken to court

Boaters

On Radio Norfolk this morning a news headline and long section of the morning show the taking to court of people who have not paid their tolls and in interviews with MrPackman and others there was even the mention of boat removal for non payment of trolls .

We should all pay our share, no question of that.

Mind you, the toll for my kayak is now over thirty quid! I am tempted . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Join the British Canoe Union, gives you exemption from tolling the kayak, also allows paddling on other inland waters, a monthly magazine, third party insurance.  That's what I do :)

Join the British Canoe Union, gives you exemption from tolling the kayak, also allows paddling on other inland waters, a monthly magazine, third party insurance.  That's what I do :)

Me too.

Almost country-wide access for only about ten quid more,

and, crucially for some, with the BCU, the individual member is covered, with any number of canoes and kayaks, whereas with the BA, each canoe requires a separate toll registration and payment.

(the only downside being that the canoe can't be lent to someone else to be used).

I've always considered the BA toll structure on very small "portable" craft to be very unfair proportionally.

Funny how all the water ways differ.Before we bought our boat to Norfolk we had her on another river where the dinghy was included in the toll carrying the same number..Our first trip to Norwich ,passed under Carrow Bridge and the Mobile went and I was ticked off for not having a separate toll on the inflatable .

In our local rag this week

A Peterborough narrowboat owner who did not register his boat has been fined at court.

David John Rennie on Thursday pleaded not guilty at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court to keeping or using a vessel on the River Nene at Stibbington Boat Yard, Cambridgeshire when it was not registered with the Environment Agency.

The Environment Agency routinely inspects locks, moorings and other structures to make sure they are in good condition. Irven Forbes

Several years a boat owner we met had purchased a 'project "boat" which had been stripped out ,even the engine which was moored on the Thurne . He had fitted row locks and oars in the cockpit and told us he had registered it as a rowing boat ? I was sceptical ,but someone may know better ?

Several years a boat owner we met had purchased a 'project "boat" which had been stripped out ,even the engine which was moored on the Thurne . He had fitted row locks and oars in the cockpit and told us he had registered it as a rowing boat ? I was sceptical ,but someone may know better ?

Maybe he was an Arthur Ransome reader...  :)

post-195-0-52286700-1426232634_thumb.jpg

Death & Glory, back to basics, that's the way! Keep life simple.

I have a book that I treasure called 'The Gift to be Simple, Life in Amish Country'. Wonderful stuff! We have over complicated our world, over complicated our boats, in danger of over complicating the Broads. America's Amish community have turned their back on such complication, something that we could take onboard for our boating. Boats without hair curlers and bubble baths . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 2

Apparently when they created the D&G for the filming of the Big Six, they found that the position of the cabin made it impossible to row.

Arthur imagined it too simple perhaps..... :)