chinese boat on the river 1962

loribear

I pinched this video from utube, i liked it because it was the same month & the same year as i was born , it was lovely seeing all those old wooden boats on the broads ,but the thing that interested me was the chinese boat going down the river,near the end of the vid , i had to watch it twice as i thought i was seeing things.lori

• Like 5

Lori's Chinese boat intrigues me.

When I look at these still frames closely, I can't decide whether it's a DIY conversion or a genuine Sampan style boat.

The wide square foredeck looks built up over a standard cruiser bow, especially with the sloping forward facing cabin windows.

Yet the stern is very different from a western design cruiser, having neither a flat transom nor a rounded "cruiser" stern.

The sharply upward sloping after deck is indeed very reminiscent of Chinese Junks.

It's got quite a wide beam too.

It would be fascinating to know more of it's history.

I tried googling "chinese junk norfolk broads" and thought I'd found something on the NBN, but it was an old post from Branden, talking about quite a different type of  "Chinese Junk" :rolleyes:

post-195-0-62403700-1426408803_thumb.jpg

post-195-0-52101400-1426408813_thumb.jpg

The Oulton Broad 'junk' belonged to the Exeter Maritime Museum and it emigrated up here. Can't remember the story exactly but she was modern, at the time, a replica built for a film. She wasn't damaged as such when coming through Mutford Lock but a friend and I brought her into the lock  chamber at high water, as the tide dropped the outriggers on the hull were clearly going to foul on the lock so, with a bit of quick thinking, we cut them off rather than see them lift the deck as the hull dropped. They were easily replaced. The other 'junk' was, if I remember correctly, built for the European market but I only ever saw her once.