Richardsons Capri and Barbados total refits.

C.Ricko

Hi,

Ok not everybodys idea of a restoration because.

A) they are Fiberglass.

B) There is not much original left..

but I thought some may find them interesting although my photos are not great.

also the floor coverings are covered with plywood and there are dust sheets for painting but they are very nice :grin:

post-503-136713477837_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713478101_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713478124_thumb.jpg

Hi Sue,

there is not much to do on the Elysians but they will only need new upholstery, canopies, gas check and a damn good clean. problem is getting the other boats at Stalham ready first, we hava a mountain to get through and cant commit to starting them until we can see 'the light'

The Barbados is looking fantastic, she will now be good for 30 years more hire work. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Was passing through Stalham yesterday as Barbados (or Barbadoss as I call her) emerged from the shed... absolutely first class inside & outside too. The quality of paint finish was very high.. was really looking like a new boat, other than the design giving it clearly away I guess!

Clive.. is someone at the boatyard short sighted or been struggling to read the boat names??! :naughty:

Good to see investment into great quality at the lower end of the hireboat affordability range too... I cant think of many, if anyone else doing this - normally only building super expensive luxury boats - great stuff!

Affordable boating at great quality! cheers

Dan

post-93-136713486368_thumb.jpg

Clive.. is someone at the boatyard short sighted or been struggling to read the boat names??! :naughty:

Hi Dan,

It has been accepted that the name on the transom will come off as it is way too big, the jury is out on the sides.

Jonny,

The font is the very bold, not everyones choice but it is modern and easy to read.

The black plastic pipe for the rubbers is very hard to get hold of now and we think we have the last 12 rolls of it which were produced, we only want to use it to repair boats with black so we have used blue on these boats as it should be easy to get when repairs are needed.

Dan,

Thanks for putting that photo up, I have got San Rafael, same style, and now with that photo I can see the back, so I will now know how to get on (fall off).

Sometimes I wish the brochure photos showed this as it would help in deciding which boat to hire if you have mobility problems.

cheersbar

No probs,

Access isn't bad at all (though unless levels are low you you have the usual level of step up to get on), and I was suprised how spacious the boat felt for a 30ft x 10ft ish design..

Dan

• 2 months later...
Was passing through Stalham yesterday as Barbados (or Barbadoss as I call her) emerged from the shed... absolutely first class inside & outside too. The quality of paint finish was very high.. was really looking like a new boat, other than the design giving it clearly away I guess!

Good to see investment into great quality at the lower end of the hireboat affordability range too... I cant think of many, if anyone else doing this - normally only building super expensive luxury boats - great stuff!

Affordable boating at great quality! cheers

Dan

Clive,

Remember to get the photo changed on your own web-site. "Totally refitted for 2009" and an old photo!

(Perhaps you meant "Will be totally refitted for 2009" when your brochure went to print

but web-sites can be amended "on the fly"

post-609-136713515672_thumb.jpg

She looks a lot more "modern" in her new livery!

(And has a lot more rubbing strakes to keep her looking that way)

Martin

• 7 months later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, WOW, what a transformation. I`ve never hired from Ricko`s before, but i must say that having heard some excellent reports on this and the NBF sites, i think i`l change my mind. I have to admit that i`ve always based my opinion on the way things were in the very distant past when Ricko`s was`nt in the family, and the boats were less than impressive. My brother and his outlaws (no longer in-laws lol: ) hired Magic gem in around 82 and it was awful. However, in recent years i`ve heard people give them glowing reports. We were talking to a guy at Loddon town staithe who had one of the bucaneer 37s and he said although the outside was a bit untidy, the inside was immaculate, and the service he got from the yard was excellent, but above all, everything worked perfectly. If you`re reading this Clive, SINCEREST APOLLOGIES :bow . I agree with previous posters, in that it`s great to see you`re renovating existing and traditional boats, rather than filling the fleet with modern garish high topped can`t go anyway boats. The only thing i`m not a fan of is 240volt everything, as it means you have to cruise or run your engine for a lot longer than you may want to. I hate having to sit there at a peaceful mooring listening to the drone of someones engine just so they can boil a plug in kettle or make toast in a toaster, or am i just being a grumpy old man? lol: . Regards to all................... Neil Fish3

Hi Neil,

I dont take offence easily, we gaind a bad reputation with the Bounty type boats years ago but have recently been introducing hundreds of new customers to the broads with them as although most have been refitted they are very good value, dispite not being everyones cup of tea. This last year with a huge number of new customers some were not happy but most either loved the boat they had or wanted to book more expencive boats with us for later in the year or next year. We find many customers who choose to have 2 or three holidays on a cheaper boat rather than one on a newer more expencive type.

We have replaced all of our gas heaters with diesel power and refrigerators are being replaced with electric, but dispite not really wanting gas on boats we are yet to find an acceptable alternative, but we only do what the customers ask for so some can do without so dont pay for it and some want it so they do pay :grin:

.... We find many customers who choose to have 2 or three holidays on a cheaper boat rather than one on a newer more expencive type....

A-men to that! Exactly what I like to do. Good to see continued upgrades on the older boats in fitout and the move to warm air heating etc. Also glad to see them kept on, because at the end of the day you get what you pay for, and pound for pound they are fantastic value, and Broadland holidays shouldn't need to cost a fortune if you dont want.

I find the 240v systems handy for the laptop etc, but can easily live without it. I would never hire a boat where you had to run the engine to boil a kettle or use the cooker and share Neil's frustrations at engine running etc for this purpose. It seems to be Barnes Brinkcraft that have adopted this system more than others, so would probably try and moor as far away from one of those offending vessels as possible! :grin:

I hope more boats dont start following that setup, but as it has clear disadvantages in operation (though maybe looks nice in the brochure) maybe we're safe for a while. I am not at my best first thing, and quite unapproachable until brew one or two has been consumed! The noise of needing an engine to fire up to get the kettle on might just push me over the edge! :grin:

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dan, It seems we are kindred spirits. Years ago, i always wanted to hire the latest most modern biggest hire boats, but now i`m middle aged and appreciate the older things in life. I only wish i hired sme of the older boats in my early years of hiring. I`ve put a post on Clives Broadsventure thread requesting Ricko`s restoring another of the old Broadsventures, or that style, to put back in the hire fleet, but i think in reality, it would`nt be financially viable, and it may give poor clive a heart attack. It would be a cracking boat to hire though. I`ve had the argument about new flash high top against traditional Broads designs on the other forum, and other forumites who prefer the modern alternative say they are the ones that are always on hire and the traditional ones are`nt. Well when you look at the re-furb programme that Ricko`s and some other yards are running on the older traditional designs, then i think the older boats are continuing to prove they have more than just a part to play. Regards to all................. Neil.

I`ve had the argument about new flash high top against traditional Broads designs on the other forum, and other forumites who prefer the modern alternative say they are the ones that are always on hire and the traditional ones are`nt. Well when you look at the re-furb programme that Ricko`s and some other yards are running on the older traditional designs, then i think the older boats are continuing to prove they have more than just a part to play. Regards to all................. Neil.

Hi Niel

If it came to price say what fair Admiral i think is about £1700 max in peak season i would rather spend two weeks or have two one week holidays on one of Richo's refurbed boats than spend that amount of cash just to show off when nobody realy cares well i dont

Jonny ice sliceice sliceice slice

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Johnny, I totally agree. This year, my wife and i have had three holidays. We had a week in May in a cottage in the Lake district, we then had a week on the Fens in September, and a week in a cottage in Cornwall at the beginning of November. We shared the cottage and cost of the lake district with my wifes parents, we shared the boat and cost on the fens with my brother and his partner, and we had the Cornwall cottage ourselves. All were good quality accomodation, and our total outlay for three weeks holiday was just over £700 for the two of us. Like you, my wife and i would much rather have three holidays for the price of one, and when you see what is available at such an affordable price from yards with older boats, many of which have recently been completely refitted, it makes perfect economical sense. However, there will always be the sort of people who want to put on a show, and i bet they do it on borrowed money, but hey, don`t they look good?,... no. Sorry, but in this time of financial woes, i, like you, want to get the most i possibly can for my money. I`m not being tight with money, but i value my quality time, and if i can have three weeks holiday for the price some people would pay for three nights, well you don`t need a slide rule to work it out. When you see the stunning job Clives team have done on their re-furbs, you know you are going to get value for money. Keep the old girls going Clive, as the pictures you`ve posted on here prove mine and Johnnys points. Who else agrees folks cheers . Regards to all................ Neil.

Hi Neil

For me it's about choice. Sometimes I hire something quite new, so I cant really agree that everyone who wants to hire them is a bit flash or pretencious can I! :grin:

If you want a new boat with extra features, or a flybridge or whatever it has that appeals to you then no problems to me, but its nice to have the choice of having something older thats well looked after, comfortable and does the job, like you say. I guess we are all different and have different priorities and budgets as a result, and its great to see fleets which cater for that, and not just ones that you have to remortgage your house to be able to get out on the water! :naughty:

All the best

Dan

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dan, appologies to you if it sounded as though i was criticising you, saying everybody who hires new boats is just showing off, as that`s not what i meant. I shall have to think more aout how to phrase things. No, what i was tryig to say was SOME people will just go and hire the biggest newest gizmo packed boat going just so they can brag about it. However, there are many people who hire these sort of boats because they can afford to. Unfortunately, i am not one of them. :cry: The other way of looking at it is that if the yards did`nt build these boats, then they won`t be available in future years at a much more affordable price to people like me. But then, i would still go for a cheaper boat and do so more often. Regards to all..................Neil. cheers

• 9 months later...
Take a look at "San Pedro"... that is an Ocean 30 that has been striped back to a shell and totally refitted a few years ago.

Would be good if the one remaining for sale had the same treatment but I guess she will get sold :cry

Dan

Wrong Dan!

I looked at brave heart yesterday, and see no reason that with a aft cabin refit, paint job plus a few other bits she would do a few seasons at least. The others were not quite stripped to bare shells as they retain the original mahogany bunk fronts and drawers which what gives these boats such character.

we have just about finished the Crusader (ex Thames boat Aquafibre 42 mk2) and are now about to start the next one which will be Corsica 2. Miss Berol (Escapade) will be started on Monday.

That just leaves the two Tivolis, a Mk1 aquafibre 42 (Voyager 3) and the Ocean 30 to get ready for next year (plus whatever we buy or decide to do for sale time permitting)