Using the Tides down south!

JawsOrca

Hey All,

In 9 days time we will be moored down south (hopefully!) and because I want to be gentle on the boat (and to help my poor wallet) I want to make best use of the tides which I admit navigating down there I haven't really paid much attention so here goes..

I saw a few months back, someone boosted they was able to navigate from Beccles to Brundall going with the tides and it's got me thinking because both rivers pass out to Yarmouth it's actually no easy task so how do we actually do this ?? I guess.. If we go from beccles to brundall we should aim to hit st olaves at about slack tide at st olaves (not yarmouth), If coming back we should aim to hit Reedham at Slack water at Reedham (These slack waters then ensure we get down the new cut with no current..

So for example then:

Saturday 12th April.. going from Beccles to Brundall 

Using these resources (http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp - I like the graphical representation!!) & http://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk/norfolk_broads_distance_chart.html 

Slack I guess at St Olaves is 11:28 (An hour after 10:28). It's 2.45 hours from Beccles so we need to leave at 8:45.. we will get the tide taking us downstream. It's 45 mins up the new cut to reedham so by the time we hit Reedham the tide should be there to we should then hopefully ride the incoming tide to take us up to Brundall.. 

Coming Back Monday 14th April.. (ignore the night bit for now!)

Slack at reedham is at 15.09  (An hour after 14:09) it's two hours to Reedham from Brundall so we need to leave at 13:09 to take the tide down to Reedham.. The rest of the way is easy as the tide will be coming in when we reach St Olaves.

Have I got this right?? I think my main question is, is slack water an hour later at both Reedham and St Olaves? or should we aim for low water at these?

cheers 

Low water at St Olaves is 10.28 so I would aim to arrive there just around 15mins after that and then by the time you get through the Cut you will just catch the tide starting to flood at Reedham and carry you up to Brundall.

As for the return journey, do the same, and by that I mean use the Cut as the slack water time thereby catching the flood tide when you turn into the Waveney.

That's what I do anyway and I use a Garmin 152 to help with the speed and location to help me arrive on time as it's easy to get pulled along and then you end up getting there too early!

Iv'e been doing it that way for years.

• Like 1

There,s not really slack water at st olaves, as when it reaches low tide, the water seems to be going out but the level starts to rise!!,it is a river afterall,same as reedham , it only changes direction when the incoming tide is greater than the river flow(tide under surface flow)as for the new cut, well i have been along it and the current changed half way up it, depending on weather/wind ect,but the flow in the cut is no where near the strength on the main rivers, go with low water times as these are the same at reedham and st olaves :angel:  rofl

• Like 3

Ask at the Yacht Sta before setting out, they should have an adjusted low water time for Gt Yarmouth, use that rather than a published time.

The Waveney tends to ebb for ten minutes or so longer than the Yare so our plan has always been to hit the middle of the New Cut 20 minutes after low water St Olaves going north and a half hour after when heading south.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, We will be based in somerleyton so I wanted to get the rough idea. Thanks for your tips though! I'll note these all down so when we are doing this I'll hopefully get it!

Lol Steve, tbh I'm normally really bad and sods law I always hit the current!! I don't want the engine under too much load to start too so this is nice to know :) 

cheers

Stick the pointy bit out of the marina in to the river a bit mate, whichever way it starts to move, that's the way to go .... Lol.

In all seriousness i find it a little confusing also. I've made note of the tips given on here as well. We are going up this afternoon and back Sunday. May try and get down to Geldeston sat night ;)

Off to put those tips in to action to see if we can make it :)

Steve

• Like 2

It would be rather nice  of the Broads Authority to install a line of pontoons downstream of Breydon Bridge only to be used at low tide for boats awaiting the flood tide. I know there is a small pontoon there but that is only to be used by boats waiting for suitable air draft under those bridges.

Just think of how much this could do for the environment in saving burning all that diesel punching the tide.

• Like 1