BA to the rescue, along with lots of others!

I was first on scene at a call to break in at a remote warehouse the other week. I rock up in my old bill car and look at the size of the place and call for the helicopter before I even get out of the car without knowing if they are even still inside.

I guess I could have waited until they were in their 4x4 speeding off across the field before I asked for the attendance of such as a valuable resource that was 12 mins flying time away..........

On the 15th April the Norfolk Fire Service dealt with 25 incidents throughout the county. In total 38 crews were involved.

According to the Norfolk Fire Service, at 13:25 were requested to attend an incident at Rockland Broad. Loddon, Earlham and Thetford attended crews attended.

The EDP stated that crews from London, Earlham and Thetford attended.

At 15:44 a major incident on a Thetford industrial estate, involving a fire in a paint factory occurred. The owner of the factory complained that the response time was unsatisfactory and was informed, after three 999 calls that the fire crew were still on the A11 and would attend as soon as possible. (Some 60 fire fighters were eventually on scene)

It is easy to be critical of a service which over the last few years has seen a dramatic decrease in funding.

There is the unknown. Were the crew on a training exercise close to the incident and therefore considered appropriate to be utilised for this incident. Also to be taken into consideration is that crews from all over Norfolk stand in, at other stations, as cover for the resident crew if they are not available, for example staff shortages. In brief, we are not privy to the logistics of running a service which like other emergency services such as our police and ambulance services are considered low hanging fruit for authorities to achieve budgets which have been imposed upon them.

JM, I think that you could well be correct in stating that "the suits" have little understanding of local requirements, resources, geographical limitations unique to Norfolk due perhaps to so called centralisation.

However I do believe, that to achieve the expectation of others who seem to avoid accountability, we must accept that change has not been for the better.

• Like 3

Because most of the Broadland waterways have always had difficult adjacent land access, it is an unusual challenge to emergency services.

Most of the 120 miles of navigable waterways are bordered by marshes and reedbeds, making land-based transport attendance a complex decision, requiring a well rehearsed plan and knowledge, involving land vehicles, boats and helicopters.

Given the number of trained professionals from the Fire Brigade, Police, Ambulance Service, Air Rescue and BA, it's a pity that some people can have so little faith in their knowledge, efforts and ability.

Especially while still armed with only press heresay, and no knowledge of the detailed content or sequence of the call out information in this instance.

That's what their snap decisions were based on, not firm hindsight knowledge that "the casualties were only up to their waists in water, right next to a reedbed."