What's bad about the Broads

troutman62

Ok gentlemen, Strowy aint here to defend himself just now, so i'll do it for him :naughty:  I am concerned also that we have not heard from him on here. Strowy baiting JM baiting and worst of all, Gracie I wear shoes a lot, baiting! :norty: whatever next!

I have sent him an email, hopefully to the correct mail box.

cheers Iain.

I just wanted to pick up on a point made a few times on here about running engines on moorings which I can see could be annoying of they are going all the time.

I don't think many boats have gas heaters on them so how do you get any hot water unless you are lucky enough to get on a hook up?

How do you get any heat this time of year without the Ebby going (that's diesel) unless you get on a hook up.

Finally the charging of batteries or running appliances unless you get on a hook up?

See where this is going as not everyone can get on a hook up and if there is a group of you washing is often a good idea and not everyone can do that after an hours motoring with do small water store and maybe they want to watch the scenery instead of showering on the go.

Anyway just a little question to stir the typing fingers.

What annoys me more than engines running is those who steam past you when berthed and don't slow down even when they are supposed to only be doing 3 or 4 mph.

What annoys me more than engines running is those who steam past you when berthed and don't slow down even when they are supposed to only be doing 3 or 4 mph. 

Those are the ones who require O^O¬ and smartly! :naughty: 

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Ok gentlemen, Strowy aint here to defend himself just now, so i'll do it for him :naughty:  I am concerned also that we have not heard from him on here. Strowy baiting JM baiting and worst of all, Gracie I wear shoes a lot, baiting! :norty: whatever next!

I have sent him an email, hopefully to the correct mail box.

cheers Iain.

I too am concerned. Have looked around, no sign of him.

Baiting, hardly, good humoured leg pulling more like!

• Like 1

Sorry, Mark, should have made it clearer. I don't have a cruiser now but when we did, with four small children, we kept them warm, clean and fed. We just had to be aware of the limitations of boating. We made full use of shore-side facilities or the engine whilst under way. We either had showers whilst under way or at the end of the day rather than in the morning when the hot water tank was cold. Couldn't expect all the comforts and conveniences of home, heavens above, we were on a boat!  

Now we have gone native and primitive in our old age, we boil a kettle!

• Like 1

Ah I see.

Yes that's the most efficient way to get the hot water.

Maybe some people expect a few more mod cons nowadays.

My point was that sometimes it doesn't always work out that convenient. As in if no shore facilities. Been moored up for a day or so. Done some sweaty work after you have moored up and need a shower before they let you in the pub. And then there was the heating.

Don't get me wrong I think engine use should be kept to a minimum but sometimes it is the only option.

Not everyone likes the native thing and it is people's holidays and maybe they do expect all mod cons.

I sit somewhere in between.

So think a bit of give and take is needed.

At the end of the day if the engine is the single power source and we buy/hire motor boats then expect people to fire them up now and again.

Even the new shiny electric boat still has a noisy gen set!

Sensible use should apply.

• Like 1