What's bad about the Broads

troutman62

We all tell everybody about the great things in Norfolk, but we must all have things we dislike !

Here's a few of mine................

Friday afternoon on the last day of the holiday is not good for the disposition. 

Gangs of noisy idiots mooring next to you when its too late to move your vessel.

I dearly love our wildlife and am a keen angler and naturalist but when people post Broads videos of their holiday on U Tube feeding mallard and swans for interminable hours it gets seriously boring

Boat toilets, 'nuff said !

Carrying loads of shopping   back from Tesco Stalham to Richardsons yard,(backbreaking) not as young as I was.Maybe have to lower my standards and buy a carp barrow .Just hope none of angling mates see me with it ! ( can always hide it when I get home).

And another moan - Petty I know, but annoying, why do boating brochures ALWAYS show Mum and Dad relaxing with a glass of wine, never a pint of ale, don't people drink beer any more ? Us ale drinkers must be seen as a bit down market nowadays, more pork scratchings and a roll up than tarte tatin, We make some of the best beer in the world but can't even promote it.

And don't forget the old favourite -the compulsory holiday rat race down Ranworth dyke, competing with boat after boat to get to that single mooring at the staithe. Bliss.

Fortunately the good things will always far outweigh the bad ! :naughty:

• Like 5

Oh Troutman I was ready then with my master delete button! :norty:  Thankfully instead am having a laugh :naughty:  because what you say is errr true in most cases. I personally take the car to Tesco, Stalham, or prefer to shop in the village proper. Best hire from Richos and save the back breaking walk! :naughty:

cheers Iain

Troutman, an excellent post and agree with everything you said especially the Friday afternoon bit, as for Ranworth we mud weight and row over. We mainly wild moor so no idiots. If what you have pointed out is the worst we can expect then bring it on I say :naughty: it's all great fun and to be honest I don't think for me anyway there's anything negative about the damn place, I even like the sound of running boat engines (maybe not at three in the morning) Lol

Grace :kiss

• Like 5

Well, I suppose for the sakes of informed debate the bad bits are as important as the good. For me, the bad bits reflect changes in peoples attitude which are universal rather than specific to the broads, and to expect the broads to be immune to them is perhaps unrealistic. They also apply equally to hire boaters, owners, sailors, mobos etc, etc, etc.

Running engines on moorings is number one, engines are devices for propelling boats through the water and if used sufficiently for that purpose will supply ample battery power and hot water for everyones needs if used responsibly. If one thing above all else would ever put me off boating on the broads it would be this.

Mooring hogs are pet hate number two, it has become common practice to leave a carefully measured sixteen feet eight and one half inch gap between boats when tying up, or if possible to position a boat exactly in the middle of a mooring which otherwise could take two boats. Once upon a time the master of a boat would make room for someone looking to moor even before being asked. Nowadays a request is most likely to be met with a two word answer.

There is a third point, but I think it is too controversial to raise, even for this progressive forum and being relatively new around here I don't want to be hounded out of town quite yet!

• Like 4

My pet hate are the arrogant, inconsiderate sods who hog moorings and then refuse to help others by moving up, taking mooring ropes or even welcoming them alongside. Other than that, and running engines at moorings, everything on the Broads is pretty darn good!

• Like 5

Let's get this into perspective:

You go to Vegas and loose all your money and the wife catches you in a strip joint - not good.

You go to a 5* resort in some Pacific Island and the generator breaks down - no food and no A/C - not good.

You go to South America and somebody steals your wallet - not good.

I could go on and on and on.............

I travel 19 hours and get on a boat that is all mine - on waters that I know well - and do what the hell I please - what's bad about that - we (me and the family say NOTHING)....

• Like 9

Friday afternoon - My disposition is just fine as I know I'll be back again besides I hardly ever take 'B.A' back on Saturdays nowadays - usually Sunday or Mondays

Never too late to move 'B.A'

You Tube - Mallards - Agreed

'B.A's heads are top notch and a pleasure to use, but we avoid doing so to make the holding tank last for the whole trip

Tesco's at Stalham - I use the car/van/jeep, unless on the Tiger - then buy less

Brochure - Agreed

Rat race at Ranworth dyke - Yet to see a Broads hireboat beating 'B.A' in a race! :naughty:

My moan is the 162 miles and of the totally frustrating A17 / A47 - Having said that even they are both bliss when on the Tiger :naughty:

Griff

Friday afternoon on the last day of the holiday is not good for the disposition. 

Gangs of noisy idiots mooring next to you when its too late to move your vessel.

I dearly love our wildlife and am a keen angler and naturalist but when people post Broads videos of their holiday on U Tube feeding mallard and swans for interminable hours it gets seriously boring

Boat toilets, 'nuff said !

Carrying loads of shopping   back from Tesco Stalham to Richardsons yard,(backbreaking) not as young as I was.Maybe have to lower my standards and buy a carp barrow .Just hope none of angling mates see me with it ! ( can always hide it when I get home).

And another moan - Petty I know, but annoying, why do boating brochures ALWAYS show Mum and Dad relaxing with a glass of wine, never a pint of ale, don't people drink beer any more ? Us ale drinkers must be seen as a bit down market nowadays, more pork scratchings and a roll up than tarte tatin, We make some of the best beer in the world but can't even promote it.

And don't forget the old favourite -the compulsory holiday rat race down Ranworth dyke, competing with boat after boat to get to that single mooring at the staithe. Bliss.

Fortunately the good things will always far outweigh the bad ! :naughty:

• Like 2

Griff,

I have done about four hours driving by the time I pass that wee place :hardhat: called Doncaster. :naughty:

Well it is wee when you are passing it at 70mph :angel:  on the A1M ! All i see is the slip-road for Donny.

Nice to know I have ONLY 162 to Stalham after that! :naughty:

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

Ah but the 162 is from my door, Blyth junction on the A1M leaves 152 to go.  Actually I don't mind the drive so much as I changed my mindset that is to say the weekend / trip begins for me when I join the A1M so the drive down is part of the trip.

Still great fun on the Tiger though.

Griff

• Like 3

Beer prices..............too dear.

Beer quality.............often below standard.

Potter Heigham fish and chips..............Yuck!

Otherwise, The Broads ain't too bad. 

Bonzos recipes for cooking on the Broads......"Amazing!!"  :naughty: 

OOps thats one of the good things Duh!

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Well, I suppose for the sakes of informed debate the bad bits are as important as the good. For me, the bad bits reflect changes in peoples attitude which are universal rather than specific to the broads, and to expect the broads to be immune to them is perhaps unrealistic. They also apply equally to hire boaters, owners, sailors, mobos etc, etc, etc.

Running engines on moorings is number one, engines are devices for propelling boats through the water and if used sufficiently for that purpose will supply ample battery power and hot water for everyones needs if used responsibly. If one thing above all else would ever put me off boating on the broads it would be this.

Mooring hogs are pet hate number two, it has become common practice to leave a carefully measured sixteen feet eight and one half inch gap between boats when tying up, or if possible to position a boat exactly in the middle of a mooring which otherwise could take two boats. Once upon a time the master of a boat would make room for someone looking to moor even before being asked. Nowadays a request is most likely to be met with a two word answer.

There is a third point, but I think it is too controversial to raise, even for this progressive forum and being relatively new around here I don't want to be hounded out of town quite yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will just add one thing to the list - people running v noisy warm air heaters early in the morning when moored stern on. & shore power being available. Small plug in radiators are cheap and really effective. It's like being moored next to a Lear jet! Agree with the engine running - nothing wrong with having a shower or washing up under way?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ian , we used to pass there at light speed ,was actually totally insane how fast I went ,trying to  "get there quicker"

A few hefty fines and a speed awareness course served to bring me to my senses !

I went in to the course burdened with my guilt and emerged , a new man , shriven , and law abiding !

seriously though it did work , and although I don't abide by every limit , I do make a serious effort not to be caught again -so it worked

Also the travel time down is probably only  about 30 -45 mins longer and I now do the journey on about two thirds of a tank each way instead of a full tank plus !

That's one way to change a mindset lol

Alex

• Like 2