Navigation lights

:wave hi andy funny you should post this as i was thinking the other day with these new led lights they should be quite easy to fit plus very visable the only thing then are white lights for seeing foreward not forgetting the reflection off the water

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/caravanmotor ... 60698fa403

the white light strips may even give enough light for use on the broads

http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/led-li ... tAodEHm11A

also good low power consumption

: the only thing then are white lights for seeing foreward

No No NO!

Please do NOT use a forward facing light to see where you are going. It will destroy your night vision, and also blind any poor navigator who comes upon you from the opposite direction. I speak from experience - I was the victim. You will very quickly be able to see perfectly well enough to navigate after dark in almost any situation on the Broads. Save forward facing white lights for the car when you drive to or from the boat after dark.

Rant over!

:grin: Andy it's not that hard to fit Nav lights, the hard part part is getting access to hide all the wires, you'll need a basic knowledge of 12v electrics, or a good book but it's not beyond the average DIYer, I would think it was an expensive job if you have it done by a yard, because of the labour rates, why not have a word with Clive Richo he could advise you on the cost, I'm in the middle of re-wiring my nav lights and spent the whole day yesterday just re-moving panels to get at the old cables, and yes I'm using fully tinned cable, :dance

The only need for a spotlight is maybe to illuminate the mooring you are about to use to guard against potholes or the like.

Rod

Erm! do you get pot holes in water,, :grin: though I do agree with Poppy and Rod about spotlights, in 30 years of boating I've only ever had to use one once, and that was when someone fell in the water at Horning late one night, other than that they are really just decoration, having said that I have had one fitted on all my boats though,

Frank,,,

Erm! do you get pot holes in water,, :grin: Frank,,,

There are often some big buggers off Orford :naughty:

But seriously you do get them on the bank where you are about to moor, along with other hazards at times which I imagine what Rod alluded to. :grin:

:dance Ah Ha! thats true, but unless you have one of those very expensive remote control spotlights, that you can automaticaly swivel from the comfort of your cockpit, a £3.99 handheld spotlight would do the same job, for emergency's I have one of those handhelp spotlights that plugs into dash, and a brand new fixed one still in it's box, but thats only because it came with the boat, not that I'm tight or anything,,, I cured the pothole on the banks problem by making the wife get off first,, :dance

Now that's a coincidence as we have just fitted nav lights this weekend, well my wife did to be precise!

We had a new dashboard with new gauges and switches made by Brian Ward of Brundall, which we fitted this weekend, finally junking the old ex-hire craft one. I managed to get rid or an awful lot of spaghetti from under the dash (old alternator energising relay, horrid buzzer thingy etc), and whilst I was under the dash doing all that, SWMBO was fitting and wiring the nav lights I got for Christmas.

The hardest part was finding a good location for the lights. As the boat is a forward drive Alpha 32 with a sliding canopy, the only place we could put them was just above the rubbing strip. I'm not sure if this strictly compies with all the relevant marine-law legislation, but I think it'll probably do on the Broads for the rare occasion we will need them. They are a little vulnerable to mooring mishaps, but there wasn't much option.

Mrs B ran the wires quite easily for the port and starboard lights through the hull and under the floor to the helm. For the stern light, we have a convenient plastic tube running the full length of the boat from the helm to the rear cabin , which is behind the wall panelling, housing the rudder cable. I have an electricians draw tape, which can be pushed through tight gaps, so you can fix the cable to the end and pull it back through, simple!

It's then just a matter of getting power from a fuse box (I had already put in another fuse bank for various accessories) and wiring the lights to the switch in the dash. Mrs B was very pleased with her accomplishements (as was I), although it did take her a while to get used to drilling a boat, whilst sitting on the deck of the one next door, and compensating for them drifting apart! Still she didn't get wet, or more importantly drop my drill :naughty:

Now that's a coincidence as we have just fitted nav lights this weekend, well my wife did to be precise!

We had a new dashboard with new gauges and switches made by Brian Ward of Brundall, which we fitted this weekend, finally junking the old ex-hire craft one. I managed to get rid or an awful lot of spaghetti from under the dash (old alternator energising relay, horrid buzzer thingy etc), and whilst I was under the dash doing all that, SWMBO was fitting and wiring the nav lights I got for Christmas.

The hardest part was finding a good location for the lights. As the boat is a forward drive Alpha 32 with a sliding canopy, the only place we could put them was just above the rubbing strip. I'm not sure if this strictly compies with all the relevant marine-law legislation, but I think it'll probably do on the Broads for the rare occasion we will need them. They are a little vulnerable to mooring mishaps, but there wasn't much option.

Mrs B ran the wires quite easily for the port and starboard lights through the hull and under the floor to the helm. For the stern light, we have a convenient plastic tube running the full length of the boat from the helm to the rear cabin , which is behind the wall panelling, housing the rudder cable. I have an electricians draw tape, which can be pushed through tight gaps, so you can fix the cable to the end and pull it back through, simple!

It's then just a matter of getting power from a fuse box (I had already put in another fuse bank for various accessories) and wiring the lights to the switch in the dash. Mrs B was very pleased with her accomplishements (as was I), although it did take her a while to get used to drilling a boat, whilst sitting on the deck of the one next door, and compensating for them drifting apart! Still she didn't get wet, or more importantly drop my drill :naughty:

I am impressed, well done to Mrs B. :clap:clap:clap

Next time we get together can she have a quite word with Loops, as Loops would not even know what a navigation light is :lol::lol::lol:

cheers

It’s heartening to think there is going to be a lot more night navigation going on this year by the looks of all this activity. :bow All power to your elbows guys & gals I’m sure you will enjoy it. For those that may want to give it a try but don’t want to go to all the trouble and or expense of fitting the full blown lights here’s a good occasional or emergency alternative that you may want to consider.http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/Lights-Exterior-and-Navigation-Lights/Lalizas-Navigation-Lights/P5000S74/Lalizas-Emergency-Navigation-Light-Set.htm there are others available at even lower cost if you look around.

Hi Barry

Under our helm we have the fuse box for the domestic system (blade type fuses). I had to do a bit of rewiring, as we had things like the bilepump, water pump and horn all wired together through a 30 amp fuse (hire yard botch job). So I put in a second fuse box spurred off the main one in order to separate these various circuits to their own dedicated fuses. This left me with some spare fuse positions, one of which I took for the nav light switch, and another for the instrument lights.

I was toying with a forward searchlight, but having read the earlier posts here, I shaln't bother now. I have only once night navved on the Broads, and have to say my night vision was non-existent (no moon + heavy cloud = bloody dark!), so had to resort to a torch. At least the nav lights now give us that comfort factor of being able to find a suitable mooring without panicing when dusk approaches early and late in the season.

Hi Barry

Under our helm we have the fuse box for the domestic system (blade type fuses). I had to do a bit of rewiring, as we had things like the bilepump, water pump and horn all wired together through a 30 amp fuse (hire yard botch job). So I put in a second fuse box spurred off the main one in order to separate these various circuits to their own dedicated fuses. This left me with some spare fuse positions, one of which I took for the nav light switch, and another for the instrument lights.

I was toying with a forward searchlight, but having read the earlier posts here, I shaln't bother now. I have only once night navved on the Broads, and have to say my night vision was non-existent (no moon + heavy cloud = bloody dark!), so had to resort to a torch. At least the nav lights now give us that comfort factor of being able to find a suitable mooring without panicing when dusk approaches early and late in the season.

Thanks for that info,Mark,don't know what i'll find when i take off the dash.

:grin: Barry! if your anywhere near Broadsedge this coming saturday pop in and see me on Dragonfly, you know where I am in the new part! I'm in the middle of re-wiring all my lights and everything else, so I can run you through what you need to do,,

Frank,,,

:grin: Barry! if your anywhere near Broadsedge this coming saturday pop in and see me on Dragonfly, you know where I am in the new part! I'm in the middle of re-wiring all my lights and everything else, so I can run you through what you need to do,,

Frank,,,

Thanks,Frank,I will see you saturday morning.