App for an Android Phone

MostlyAfloat

Just wondered if any here uses or knows of any useful apps for an Android O.S? Such as gps driven map for the broads? Speedometer etc, just the geeky side of me coming out.... Hmmm while I'm at it I see some of the more modern hire boats have USB ports on their onboard tv's can these be used to play .mkv movie files?

Many thanks

⚓️ MostlyAfloat ⚓️

Ray

Hi Ray, I randomly downloaded one called "Speedview".. it works well. I know Robin (londonrascal) uses another which you can see on his blogs. 

There's an enjoy the broads app too which has maps and upto date (well reasonably) things like moorings, shops, pubs etc, it works well and have a gps functions so shows you where you are.

Also make sure you have taptalk which is for the forum  :naughty:

cheers

Ps don't forget to stick between the markers as so you don't replicate your avatar lol :)cheers

• Like 2

Hi Ray, I randomly downloaded one called "Speedview".. it works well. I know Robin (londonrascal) uses another which you can see on his blogs. 

There's an enjoy the broads app too which has maps and upto date (well reasonably) things like moorings, shops, pubs etc, it works well and have a gps functions so shows you where you are.

Also make sure you have taptalk which is for the forum  :naughty:

cheers

Ps don't forget to stick between the markers as so you don't replicate your avatar lol :)cheers

nice one Alan have used the speed view one which seems to work ok, will check out the Mr Rascals one as well and have already got the tapa tippy talky app and have no fear about the markers I'm not sure Mr silver line or my own street cried could ever live that down...

Ray

• Like 1

I have tried lots of speed apps on an iPhone and all work well.

Not really needed a gps yet on the broads. I normally refer to a map but then i can't be bothered with the gps to be honest.

Hi Baitrunner, was thinking mainly to be able to show the kids re the gps maps, it's something they would like I reckon.

Rayy

I use viewranger. The 1:25000 explorer OS map for the Broads is about £12. Once purchased you can use it on your phone or tablet. Shows speed, position etc. It works great on i.pad and i.phone as well but not on windows.

• Like 1

I have view ranger and another also paid for called e-canal map which you just buy the region Norfolk Broads.

E canal map doesn't show as much map detail as Viwe Ranger but it shows the rivers and your position well (as well as seed & compass )

You can record your track, add notes & pictures and shows your position on the map, its also got mooring and boatyard info....available on both Android and iOS

David

I have view ranger and another also paid for called e-canal map which you just buy the region Norfolk Broads.

E canal map doesn't show as much map detail as Viwe Ranger but it shows the rivers and your position well (as well as seed & compass )

You can record your track, add notes & pictures and shows your position on the map, its also got mooring and boatyard info....available on both Android and iOS

David

Just downloaded view ranger for a look see, will give it a run whilst driving around, thanks David

Ray

• Like 1

Norfolk broads pocket boating map.

I've been using it for the past year. Has maps of the broads, tracks your location, tells you your speed and shows you where the nearest pub is. Available on android :/ and apple devices :)

Screenshot

Interesting... Another one to test drive thanks brandenjg

Ray

I have 'Windguru', free, and gives reliable wind/weather info for various Broads sailing locations eg. Thurne Mouth, Barton Broad, Hickling amongst others.

A fortnight ago today Poppy that app should be renamed Galesguru!!! :naughty:

cheers Iain

• Like 1