40 Years to the Date!

Forty years ago to the date, I had driven up to Uddingston to play in a Western District 1st Xl Cricket Match. When we left Ayr, it was bright and sunny, it was the same also at Bothwell Castle, Policies where the ground was, not too far from Glasgow. 

Anyway, we had done our warm up etc, when this rather large dark cloud appeared from nowhere, and yup it was SNOW! Lots of it too! Needless to say, our game never took place, and read in the Glasgow Herald on the Monday cricket column, Match Abandoned, Snow!

For those old enough to remember it was 2nd June 1975, two months before I was married. It was, funny enough, a VERY hot summer.

A pic of a ground in England on the same day.    http://www.itv.com/news/central/2015-06-02/waiting-for-summer-to-start-it-was-much-worse-in-1975/

cheers Iain.

• Like 1

Hi Mark

1976 was the drought summer a big anti cyclone wedged us into high temps for weeks on end. The local golf courses burns, practically dried up, and the grass a pale white nearlly. It was mid to late August that the thunderstorms came to clear the air. Trying to sleep at nights was not easy then. So both 75 and 76 were hot summers. 

You I appreciate would still be a twinkle in the eye or a bouncing bundle!  :naughty:

The very bad winter was 1981.

cheers Iain.

Yes 1975/76 were the years of the droughts, locally Ladybower and Derwent water were very low and the foundations of the flooded village of Ashopton (these have been seen in later years of drought).

Passage through locks on the canals was restricted and in some places locks were chained up before dusk.

Regarding severe winters the very first I can remember was 1962-63, of course as a child we had snow every winter, 1978-79 I ran a Cortina estate then and used chains, these days I always put on my snow tyres.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I remember when the hot summer of 76 ended.

I was 16 at the time and we were camping in Coniston in The Lake District on the edge of the lake for the week, it was so hot all we did was mess about in the lake with an inflatable boat

the day the thunder storms arrived myself, brother, friend and his younger sister had hired a rowing boat on another glorious day and had rowed into the middle of the lake when it started to get choppy the wind picked up and the rain started, it felt like we were at sea, then the lightning started, the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

this forked lightning started touching mountain tops and seemed to make it's way from one sumit to the next.....we loved it (all except my mates sister who was only about 10 at the time & terrified)

we decided we had better get the boat back as the rain had started to get heavy and we weren't prepared for it. It took us ages to get back as we had to row into the wind.

we did get back eventually soaked & shattered but it didn't put me off boats and water.

it still amazes me to think how quickly the lake turned from a mill pond to being so choppy.

• Like 4

1976 in south Essex my eldest daughter was born, 13th April we brought her home on the 20th, and it was thick snow. On June 1st the heat wave started that went on to October, by mid June we had bought a paddling pool for Inge to sit in with her to cool her down ............ but 75 was rather hot as well but cant remember snow that year.............. funny old weather in the UK

• Like 2

I remember that day well. I was in the Yorkshire Dales on holiday and was staying at the Rising Sun Inn, in Dent. It went very cold and a large black cloud rolled over, then the snow came down in a great flurry just after 10am and left a good one inch of snow everywhere. About an hour later, the sun came out and by 2.30 pm, all the snow had almost disappeared. It must have been a freak cold spell that blew over the area, because later in the afternoon it was quite warm.

• Like 1

I remember when the hot summer of 76 ended.

I was 16 at the time and we were camping in Coniston in The Lake District on the edge of the lake for the week, it was so hot all we did was mess about in the lake with an inflatable boat

the day the thunder storms arrived myself, brother, friend and his younger sister had hired a rowing boat on another glorious day and had rowed into the middle of the lake when it started to get choppy the wind picked up and the rain started, it felt like we were at sea, then the lightning started, the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

this forked lightning started touching mountain tops and seemed to make it's way from one sumit to the next.....we loved it (all except my mates sister who was only about 10 at the time & terrified)

we decided we had better get the boat back as the rain had started to get heavy and we weren't prepared for it. It took us ages to get back as we had to row into the wind.

we did get back eventually soaked & shattered but it didn't put me off boats and water.

it still amazes me to think how quickly the lake turned from a mill pond to being so choppy.

Ah David, a man after ma ain hert, I love watching lightening, especially when as a kid on holiday in North Wales outside Prestatyn, great displays we had there!

cheers Iain

• Like 1