Inflatable dinghy

Wonderwall

I plan to take a 6 foot inflatable dinghy ( non powered) for the odd use during my much anticipated 10 day holiday in July. Do I require a licence for this purpose and if that is the case how strict are the authorities on this matter and what is the likely outcome should I dare to bend the rules?

Not that I would of course :-)

Hi Wonderwall,

As Peter said above the dinghy tolls are a bit special.. (My dinghy toll cost almost half of what  the boat costs.. :huh: )

You can get a short visit toll which aren't too bad (If you don't think about it too much).

Click here for more details: http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/owning-a-boat/tolls/short-visit-toll. If it's not got a motor then it's a "sail" boat. You can grab these from the BA themselves, or Broads Authority Information Centres, and some yacht stations and boatyards.

You will need to get a toll as they are very strict and will probably fine you.

Enjoy your trip!

cheers

I once witnessed a Ranger getting heavy with a child in a toy blow-up dinghy, which was not funny. The parent then became involved, threatening the Ranger with a boat-hook, which, since the parent couldn't walk on water, was!

Said Ranger later changed jobs within the organisation.

Edited thanks John.. cheers

Tut tut Peter. Probably a slow boring day for him... At least they were re-positioned. 

It didn't actually get to a point where the boat-hook needed re-positioning, not quite!

When is a boat a toy or a toy is a boat? I've got a toy sailing boat! Joking aside I think that most Rangers have brains and a reasonable degree of discretion is applied but there is nothing in the rule book to differentiate. Don't think that a six foot bloke in a six foot inflatable would get away with it, even if he remained afloat.

• Like 1

So, as I thought their is a charge. Quite ridiculous it think, but not everyone is in agreement I see.

If you have a car you don't need tax for a caravan do you. I realise I am comparing apples with pears but it does seem a bit harsh , when surely people holidaying in England should be encouraged. There is few of us do it and its a lot of money into local economies. Just have a look at all the closed premises around the broads, they don't do theirselves any favours here. Having already paid taxes on my hire I find it incredible a small bit of family fun is now to cost me extra.

It's all a rather sad reflection of the times we live in that common sense has absolutely place here.

• Like 2

So, as I thought their is a charge. Quite ridiculous it think, but not everyone is in agreement I see.

If you have a car you don't need tax for a caravan do you. I realise I am comparing apples with pears but it does seem a bit harsh , when surely people holidaying in England should be encouraged. There is few of us do it and its a lot of money into local economies. Just have a look at all the closed premises around the broads, they don't do theirselves any favours here. Having already paid taxes on my hire I find it incredible a small bit of family fun is now to cost me extra.

It's all a rather sad reflection of the times we live in that common sense has absolutely place here.

You could if you so wish, send this message to the BA. They do like feed back. :)

cheers Iain.

• Like 7

Sailboards, rowboats, punts, canoes and kayaks £6.85 for seven days and £13.70 for 8 - 14 days 

Hardly a fortune but when you consider that 365 days is thirty quid and a bit then the short stay rate is a tad extreme.

Re caravans, darned things should surely be charged double the car rate, and four times when they travel in convoy!

• Like 6

For the last couple of years, when the whether was hot, a group of teenagers were seen blowing up one of those inflatable swimming pool  things, you know the ones, you blow up the rings round the outside and then you would normally fill it with water.

Anyway, they inflated the pool, launched it and then got inside it and just floated off around Oulton Broad in it, quite happy. The following summer holidays they were back again and on one occasion there were two pools..

I bet the ranger would have said they needed a tax disc, bsc and third party insurance! In my opinion were they just enjoying the weather and being a bit inventive at the same time.

We did see 3 lads in a rib up by Brundall with an inflatable lady with them. One of the lads could not have been more than 12.

Apart from wondering where they got her from (maybe one of them got in trouble from his dad later) I assumed it was part of the safety equipment as none of them had life jackets on!!!!

• Like 1

Sailboards, rowboats, punts, canoes and kayaks £6.85 for seven days and £13.70 for 8 - 14 days 

Hardly a fortune but when you consider that 365 days is thirty quid and a bit then the short stay rate is a tad extreme.

Re caravans, darned things should surely be charged double the car rate, and four times when they travel in convoy!

Okay, I'm onboard here.

Seriously.

I don't agree but I'm willing to conform for the sake of a stress free holiday. Please, if you can point me in the direction to purchase a 7 day ticket I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance :-)

You could buy in advance from the Broads Authority, give them a call on 01603 610734 and ask for the tolls office, they'll post the ticket to you.  Alternatively, depending where in Broadland you are staying, you can buy one from the BA Tourist Information Centres (these are located at Wroxham/Hoveton, Toad Cottage at How Hill and Whitlingham Barn), or the BA Yacht Stations at Norwich or Great Yarmouth.  Several boatyards sell them, (including Martham Boatyard and Whispering Reeds at Hickling).  Or you could just plonk it in the water, wait for the Ranger to come by in his launch, and make sure you've got £6.85 in your pocket ready to pay.  Of course, if he doesn't come by ... (not that I'm suggesting anything unlawful of course).  There's no fine for not having the toll before you put in, as long as you pay when asked - no problem.

• Like 1