Sometimes I can't help myself...

Timbo

Food allergies...when did this gubbage start? I was stuck in a queue behind a couple in our local supermarket this morning. I would say the couple were in their late thirties, quite well to do and they were shopping  for and discussing a forthcoming dinner party they were hosting. The poor husband looked sick to death of the constant questions about menu's, various peoples allergies and eating disorders. How he managed to put up with the woman I don't know, after ten minutes I was ready to throttle her. 

"It's so difficult with David's nut allergy. Of course Emma is gluten free, so is Claire by the way. Valerie and Steve are vegan, Paul is vegetarian, Anne is low carb. What shall we do, come on you are no use at all!" said the woman poking her husband in the chest.

And then for some reason she turned to me.

"What would you do dear?" she asked as her husband looked at me and mouthed 'sorry'.

The invitation was too much of an opportunity.

"I'm afraid I can't help you, you see my friends aren't pillocks!" I replied to guffaws from her husband and a 'hear hear' from the chap stood behind me in the queue.

Sometimes I can't help myself!

• Like 10

I do know what you mean - I think we know some people like that!!!

I do sympathise with people who do have genuine allergies though. A friend of ours has a stomach disorder and cant eat anything spicy (much to his annoyance). We were in a restaurant some months back and he asked if the sauce had chilles in it - the waiter went to check and good job too as it did, so he ordered something else. The waiter then nosily asked why he couldn't eat chillies - "Because they give me the shits" was the reply - maybe he could have been a little more polite with the answer, but it was a fact!!

• Like 2

I have a collection of allergies, mostly they are triggers for gout, but there is one... and this will make anyone who knows me laugh...

I'm allergic to beer! Honest yes I am!

The darker the beer the greater the reaction.

I develop the same sorts of symptoms as a hay fever sufferer.

It's really really annoying, but I have found a solution

I blow my nose frequently and carry on drinking the beer.

Works for me!

• Like 3