How times change.

JennyMorgan

In discussion with a good friend I was reminded of an event that took place over fifty years ago. Back then Coldham Hall Regatta was something of an Old Boys gathering, for example my father would meet up with his gang, one being an undertaker, another a water dowser, another a farmer and another a publican. They would hire a cruiser, load up the liquor locker and the finest supplies they could lay their hands on, much to my mother's disgust, and off they would go, meeting up with several other similar groups at Coldham. They sailed hard, and played hard, it was their annual 'lads' holiday.

One story that I was reminded of was that of Jack Hunt, the River Inspector. The Regatta was in May and I don't suppose many, if any, had got round to paying their tolls that early in the season, somethings never change, and along came Jack Hunt, the River Inspector, thinking that he was going to make a killing. The gin flowed profusely, the first boat he boarded was owned by the landlord of the Commodore at Oulton Broad. Jack moved from boat to boat, checking toll discs, Jack getting more and more plastered as he went, boat owners generous in their tots, hoping to avoid a fine. Wasn't me, honestly, but his note book disappeared and Jack eventually passed out in the cabin of his inspector's launch. Us high spirited lot decided a trip up to Surlingham Ferry would be good, to visit Simon, the landlord and legendary purveyor of pink gins. Off we went, in the Inspector's seriously over loaded launch, Jack still out cold. We left Jack and his launch moored outside Surlingham Ferry, us lot thumbing lifts back to Coldham aboard various holiday cruisers. Meanwhile Jack slumbered on!

Yes, I did have a privileged and and sometimes irresponsible life back then. In some respects I suspect our behaviour was worse than the worst of a Norfolk Broads stag party but we never came to any harm and I don't suppose we actually caused any harm. And anyway, it was only once a year. Coldham Hall was legendary, back in the sixties.

• Like 9

Certainly was! Very tolerant man, was Harry. Remember one 'lock-in' when Harry came in shushing us, apparently there was a new 'copper' on the beat, a London bloke that, as Harry explained, hadn't yet been educated to country ways. If Harry was tolerant, then his wife was even more so, that lady put up with all sorts! Harry has a lot to answer for! Heaven can only be a happier place for his passing.  

A pleasing tale ...... sadly some folks forget the larks they got up to in younger days and delight in moaning about the larks the new generation engage in.

Now did they wear lifejackets ...... did they navigate while drinking/drunk ....... did they speed (were there speed limits?) .... did they display the appropriate navigation lights ,,,,,,,, did they create excessive noise ...... did they play loud music ........ thinking about it it's surprising you survived

Te hee hee JennyMorgan playing pirates .... who'd have thought eh. :swordpir:

• Like 6

A pleasing tale ...... sadly some folks forget the larks they got up to in younger days and delight in moaning about the larks the new generation engage in.

Now did they wear lifejackets ...... did they navigate while drinking/drunk ....... did they speed (were there speed limits?) .... did they display the appropriate navigation lights ,,,,,,,, did they create excessive noise ...... did they play loud music ........ thinking about it it's surprising you survived

Te hee hee JennyMorgan playing pirates .... who'd have thought eh. :swordpir:

Still do play pirates! Always keep a skull & cross-bones on board, just incase!

Did we wear lifejackets? No, all that was available were left overs from D-Day, big orange & blue things, awful.

Did we navigate under the influence, of course not!

Not many speed limits around back then, Oulton Broad to Reedham Ferry in under twenty minutes.

Nav lights, errrrrrrr, no or very rarely, pretentious things! Could see far better without them.

Noise, maybe, sometimes.

Loud music, not from a crystal set or Dansette portable we didn't.

The Broads was more of a hi-de-hi holiday resort back then, great fun but in today's climate very non P.C.

Just as an add on, back in the fifties & sixties we always slowed down when passing moored boats and anglers, always gave way to working craft, always moved up at moorings to make space for others, always made others welcome alongside, always considered others, just common courtesies really. It fair gripes me today when people refuse to help others at moorings. Saw a boat the other day, at a 24hr mooring, with a large notice saying 'No alongside mooring'. Grrrrr, not nice, not the Broads way.

• Like 3

"Just as an add on, back in the fifties & sixties we always slowed down when passing moored boats and anglers, always gave way to working craft, always moved up at moorings to make space for others, always made others welcome alongside, always considered others, just common courtesies really. It fair gripes me today when people refuse to help others at moorings. Saw a boat the other day, at a 24hr mooring, with a large notice saying 'No alongside mooring'. Grrrrr, not nice, not the Broads way."

Hi Peter,

What you describe is the way it is done by the majority of canal boat users, you will find that people who have drifted from the canals to the Broads will still slow down when passing moored boats and will talk to fishermen after slowing down approaching them or may ask if they want a quick blast of the throttle after passing them.

As you say helping people is the Broads way, every time you visit the Broads be it at the weekend or for a weeks holiday, you are there to relax and enjoy yourself, chat to other boat users, people walking their dogs or just hiking, if people do not want to join in why do they bother to visit the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Alan, whilst I agree with your general point there are folk who come here to get away from the crowds. That begs the million dollar question, why do they moor at 24hr moorings? It's possible to find solitude, even in August, but not for those who insist on using popular moorings.

• Like 1