What time to leave?

Alan

Sunrise is 5am or thereabouts, I would leave around then. Up at 4:30, cuppa, and a nice steady run down river in the early dawn light. It's a magical time of day. Stop at Berney Arms, tie up for showers with the water you have heated, a spot of bacon and fried bread and wait for the flow on the river to stop. One the water drops calm, which it will do between 9:30 and 10:00 set of across Breydon and you will just about hit the turning tide on the yellow post. Remember the Bure ebbs for twenty to thirty minutes longer than the Yare.

You'll have the incoming tide to help you up to Stokesby and be there just before lunch.

If you don't fancy such an early start you could leave Oulton Broad around 7 and miss the stop at Berney, Bacon Sarnies are then in order as you cross Breydon. End result will be similar.

Oulton Yacht Sta to the turn on Breydon is about 3 hours to 3:10 on the outgoing tide and sensible engine load. Against the tide it is 4:15 - 4:30 flat out and you will use about four times as much fuel.

• Like 1

Yes Paul, I agree with you, that is what I'd do...   However, there may well be issues of which we are unaware, If Alan has commitments that stop him from leaving that early, and in fairness we don't want him to detail his every move and action, (OK, we do but that's just us being nosey),,, such constraints may well be the reason for the original question.

• Like 1

Probably the quickest way is to drop through Mutford lock, if you do it right you can get the lock, the rail bridge and the road bridge all open so that you don't have to hang about too much.

The speed limit in Lake loathing is 6 knots and the moored boats on the port side opposite Haven Marina all use Loud Hailers if you go past at more than 3.

Do not even think about moving off in the bridge channel until the lights are green to confirm the Bridge is locked and remember to radio for clearance to enter the bridge channel and to proceed to sea.

Once out of the Harbour you can open up as fast as you like but don't cut inside the yellow cardinals to port. It is 6 nm to the entrance at Yarmouth so that should be about 15 minutes, then radio in again to Yarmouth and ask permission to enter the harbour. The speed limit in the harbour is 6 knots and there are a number of ships moving around that will sink you without feeling the bump. 

If you are really lucky you can now get Haven to open for you, you did remember to book the lift giving a minimum of 24 hours notice didn't you? If not or if you were held up for 10 minutes by Lowestoft Road Bridge, or not allowed to leave Lowestoft or Enter Yarmouth due to ship movement, causing you to miss the booked lift, then you can now tie up on town Quay as there is no chance of them lifting the bridge today. Don't worry most of the drunks and druggies are friendly, peeing on your boat is like a handshake to them.

Providing you have gotten through you will probably find that someone has put a barrier up to stop any traffic going into the accident area that some refer to as the Northern Broads, I think the barrier is called Vauxhall bridge and it will have taken you between 1 hour 10 minutes and 5 hours, dependent on how well you timed the bridges etc.. Limbo under this barrier at your peril, far better to turn Left, get the nice man in Breydon bridge tower to lift, he will do this at anytime on demand and get back onto the safety of Breydon and the Southern Broads.

Quickest way from Oulton Broad to Vauxhall Bridge and also an explanation as to why they should leave the speed limit alone on Breydon so that sea going boats can test their engines instead of just popping out to sea as has been suggested in the past by some.

Sorry tongue in cheeck but couldn't resist, may be get back to sensible answers to the OP now  :party:

• Like 1

Senator:  Most reasonable  people would not object to Sea going crews testing their engines on Breydon and leaving the speed limit as is, however  as its a common user area it also needs for them to be reasonable as well  ie when doing so in the shared space.

Late June we were crossing in a hire boat having left Reedham  earlier,  and had noticed  3 "biggies" waiting for the bridge to open as we went though.

They must have then politely stayed behind us all the way at 6mph  to western end of Breydon  so observing the limit ( well mostly as they had to catch up ) and then just after entering main Channel  one just lit up like something  out of Miami vice and curved  himself around us  giving the  worst wash we have ever experienced. Damage/breakage  to items  that weren't  fixed down and the youngest of the dogs wouldn't stop shaking until well  past Runham.

Similar thing in reverse the previous Sept although at least time we pleasantly surprised to see a range appear from behind us  and chase the selfish  idiot  down...  slowing as he passed us to do it.  Oh .. of course we were far to polite to make any gestures...!                  

Senator:  Most reasonable  people would not object to Sea going crews testing their engines on Breydon and leaving the speed limit as is, however  as its a common user area it also needs for them to be reasonable as well  ie when doing so in the shared space.

Late June we were crossing in a hire boat having left Reedham  earlier,  and had noticed  3 "biggies" waiting for the bridge to open as we went though.

They must have then politely stayed behind us all the way at 6mph  to western end of Breydon  so observing the limit ( well mostly as they had to catch up ) and then just after entering main Channel  one just lit up like something  out of Miami vice and curved  himself around us  giving the  worst wash we have ever experienced. Damage/breakage  to items  that weren't  fixed down and the youngest of the dogs wouldn't stop shaking until well  past Runham.

Similar thing in reverse the previous Sept although at least time we pleasantly surprised to see a range appear from behind us  and chase the selfish  idiot  down...  slowing as he passed us to do it.  Oh .. of course we were far to polite to make any gestures...!                  

Ooops, Sorry Mark my post was tongue in cheek, this is a subject that has been lots of times and I appologise to the OP for messing up his thread. Just a hint and hopefully this does not stir the hornets nest but if you are in that situation again, you could always try slowing right down, that way the other boats can pass you safely at a speed that doesnt create a big wash and then get on with what they want to do, if you are doing 6 knots they cant , let them pass at 2 or 3 they can be round and gone without upsetting anyone.

No excuse for the overtaking and the trauma you were put through but just something that most people in boats that will not exceed 6 knots would ever think about.

Again my post was tongue in cheek and adds nothing to the question originally asked, please ignor

Hi Senator, no hornets nest stirred , and my fault as like with most posts I should  have taken a  second read before reacting  as from the beginning I knew that  part was  tongue in cheek , so should have taken it as such  throughout. Just stirred up a recent bad memory.

Ps that's what we did  after  recovering   ( ie slowing)   as were then expecting the  two following, however I think they were shocked on seeing what the other had done as  slowed right down checking us over.