Spun Prop Hub.

Wildfuzz

Now there I was pootling past the Potter chalets when my outboard gave a slight surge and I lost a little speed..... I then found the motor was revving higher for the same forward speed, and when I got to Hickling I opened it up a little and more revs but no more speed.

I thought it was all the expensive things, clutch, gearbox etc, however I changed the prop the following day and problem solved so I have concluded that somehow, even though it was a new prop last season the rubber hub has some how spun out allowing it to slip at higher revs.

So, the question is prior to returning it to have the prop hub replaced is there anyone locally who does this. It is a Suzuki 15hp 4 stroke if that helps.

Stuart

I'm sure there are many, but we have used Fine Ways Leisure, The Rhond, Wroxham, NR12 8UD Tel 782309. The chap's name is Dexta (Dexter??) and he was very helpful.

Fineway transfered their outboard business to Marinetec at South Walsham about six years ago. Fineway hire fleet is now part of Richardsons. I am sure Marinetec would help but they are predominantly Honda, Yamaha and Mariner.

Well I have tried all the local contacts and there does not seem to be anyone who can replace the hub, so, I got onto the supplier from whom I got the prop a season ago.

The cost of the repair is £36 plus vat, the postage is £20 plus vat each way, which makes it uneconomical to repair in their words............

guess that will be a new prop then!!!!!!

The cost of the repair is £36 plus vat, the postage is £20 plus vat each way, which makes it uneconomical to repair in their words............

Where are they? There are many broads boaters travelling back and forward from most parts of the country continously. Maybe someone could drop it off etc and save the high postage costs?

• Like 2

Hi Stuart,

You could arrange the carriers for both ways, using Interparcel or Parcel Monkey you could send the prop back for around £8.99 plus VAT if you use one of their drop off points, it works out about £6.50 plus VAT.  If the prop is under 5kg and it will go into one of Interlinks plastic bags you can send it for £7.99 plus VAT. All the above carriers services can be ordered on line for next day delivery.

Regards

Alan

Hi Stuart,

You could arrange the carriers for both ways, using Interparcel or Parcel Monkey you could send the prop back for around £8.99 plus VAT if you use one of their drop off points, it works out about £6.50 plus VAT.  If the prop is under 5kg and it will go into one of Interlinks plastic bags you can send it for £7.99 plus VAT. All the above carriers services can be ordered on line for next day delivery.

Regards

Alan

Fair point or as said post it to a member who is close they can drop off and pick up after repair and send it back to you..... :grin:  where are the repairers based ?

I did try the "alternative" carrier option but it is a standard charge and they only use their own courier. I can see it keeps the admin side of things more manageable. The company are based in London and on contacting local companies they all use them for their own repairs and they are highly thought of. I guess cos its a "little" prop it makes the costing's high against a replacement compared to a larger or more complex item, all of which are charged the same.

Out with the superglue methinks....

I did try the "alternative" carrier option but it is a standard charge and they only use their own courier.

At £24 each way I bet they do!!

We have a car leaving St Olaves on Saturday 18th for London area. Back to Norfolk on 25th and then again up and down the following week. And again on August 12th... you get the idea. Very happy to help

Thanks for all the support and advice, I think this is down to experience, it would be difficult to obtain anything under warranty as it may have been caused by weed, rope, carrier bag etc. :norty: although nothing noted around the prop at all. I think I will just use a different supplier in the future rather than send them more business in the way of a replacement or the repair. Let the wallet speak!

• Like 2