DON'T SPEED, it could cost us all!

JennyMorgan

MM I personally wouldn't do anything as at least he is being considerate to other craft - unless I thought he was being dangerous.

Do we all report people speeding to the police in our daily lives?

I think there has to be a line as to how far people go with this.

At the end of the day I could start reporting people I just didn't like? 

God help me next time I go through Reedham against the full ebb trying to make headway without causing any wash!!! And to be fair the ranger there knows the score.

• Like 2

Can I bring a little light on to this subject.

Last year between April and October over 3,400 verbal requests to slow down were logged in the Wroxham/ Horning/ Ranworth area, for those taking no notice of the a verbal request or simply going that bit quicker and needed to be stopped, were issued with a written warning. Roughly 120 written warnings were issued.

Finally I believe there were 6 prosecutions. These were either speeding, care and caution or overstaying on 24hr moorings. Sailing craft cannot be reported for speeding, but do have to adhere to care and caution.

For example if a sailing cruiser were to be at full chat between the Horning Ferry and Woodbastwick moorings, because of the wash that these vessels can throw off, the boats moored either side of the river may well report the cruiser for going without care and caution.

This year the number of verbal warnings has dropped a little due to some of the hireboat firms fitting GPS speedometers on to there fleets. When they are fitted people do use them.

Quite a few private boats have them installed, unfortunately a few forget to set them to MPH instead of knots. We do not spend our time trying to catch speeders, in fact we try to do all we can not to prosecute. Most Rangers would far sooner try to talk to a speeder and try to educate them as to why there are speed limits in place, hopefully those who are stopped will accept a written warning and everyone will leave happy. There are however certain circumstances where you have no choice but  to prosecute.

It's my opinion that when any boater is prosecuted there are no winners.  

• Like 9