Fitted my Winter Tyre's this morning

ranworthbreeze

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I managed to fit my Winter Tyre's earlier this morning, just enough time to fit them before the heavens opened up, still raining now some 4 to 5 hours later.

In the past I have used chains, grips but for me the tyre's are the best option. Have any have you fitted your snow tyre's yet? 

Regards

Alan

Its GALES tyres am needing here just now Alan, its a tad on the wild side!!!

18 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Iain,

It was somewhat windy down here last night and first thing this morning, Tomorrow is supposed to be better, so they say, only time will tell.

If its that windy up there you had better stay indoors and keep warm, rather than gadding about.

Regards

Alan 

This Mod is not for goin oot today! It really is awful up here. A day to shut the blinds and open a beer or three! Apart from that, I canny have "Scoot" getting rusty n wet!:norty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Outer Mongolia, well almost, less than an inch of snow in Sheffield brings the city to a standstill. 

I have always been in the service industry, you have to go out no matter what the weather is doing, yes over 40 plus years of driving and plenty of it in North East Derbyshire. Many times I have not fitted chains, grips but I have also been stuck in snow deeper than the car wheels, so a knowledge of routes in Derbyshire is almost as important as the tyre's you have on your car. I have always got home, maybe sometimes a little later than I would have liked.

People who block roads up because they have not made any preparations, have a spade, warm cloths etc are a bigger danger to everyone and of course these days most people are not aware how to drive on snow.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

People who block roads up because they have not made any preparations, have a spade, warm cloths etc are a bigger danger to everyone and of course these days most people are not aware how to drive on snow

thats the answer alan,always have the right gear in the boot,I learned to drive in the snow of 63 and got plenty of practice round longnor derbyshire

• Like 1

I dont do snow tyres, but have sno grips that get me out of trouble - these fit on the tyres like chains, but quicker, and get you out of mud and snow.

I got these years back, they were purchased by the local electricity supply company for all the vans and engineers cars, we were offered them at a discount. I now have 2 sets.

DSCF3737.JPG

28 minutes ago, grendel said:

I dont do snow tyres, but have sno grips that get me out of trouble - these fit on the tyres like chains, but quicker, and get you out of mud and snow.

I got these years back, they were purchased by the local electricity supply company for all the vans and engineers cars, we were offered them at a discount. I now have 2 sets.

DSCF3737.JPG

Hi Grendel,

I too have a couple of different sizes of those, they are good for getting you have plenty of snow under you but you can not run on them when the snow is light or mushy, sadly they are both the wrong size for my wheels.

When you said you had grips I thought you were talking about the rubber grips that are held in place around the wheel with packaging strapping tape. By all accounts they are good lorries off of muddy fields.

Regards

Alan

Mud and snow tyres on the rover all year round. A bit too expensive having a full set of spares in the garage. 

Last time it came in handy we couldn't go anywhere because of the other tits on the road blocking it. 

Did have the spare set when I lived in Denmark though. Then again the winter is a tad colder up there than Norfolk!!

can see they might be handy up north or in the hills though. 

Be better off with pontoons at the moment. 

• Like 1

Mud and snows all round on Caroles Jimbo, off to Gatport Airwick Friday for 3 weeks in Fuerteventura, back on 22nd Dec, shovel, deicer, emergency rations, snow tracks, sleeping bags, water, tea, coffee and stove will be left in the back just in case we are snowed in when we get back, but as usual most years never needed but ready just in case

:party::party:

cheers

Ray & Carole

• Like 1

I'd certainly admit Sheffield grinds to a halt with a little snow, SWMBOs Aunt and uncle lived on a 1 in 3 in Rotherham which was not gritted and it was a bus route!! The buses are regularly cancelled in the winter as cars slide down the hill all wheel locked.