Andy has company

Chelsea14Ian

Johanna Konta is in the semis of the Australian open,keeping Andy company.

All to often apart from Andy,most Brits are gone by the second round.What ever 

happens,Johanna has done herself proud.I wish her and Andy well and hope they go

further.What we want now is for four or five more to follow in there foot steps,but I think 

the sport is improving.

Ian

I think the reason behind Scottish success in Tennis lies more with the attitude of clubs north of the border, which is much less elitist than remains the case in England. It was hoped that Tim Henman's success would encourage a new generation of players but that only seems to be the case in certain parts of the Union.

They have all weather courts here in Troon tennis club. I have seen kids knocking up or whatever they call it in December! I think Paul you make a very valid point, but the Murray's gave up a hellova lot, especially Andy, to get to where they are today. 

cheers Iain

It`s a massive problem in this country that there is NO investment in facilities to encourage up and coming talent. I was talking to a good Spanish friend and colleague of mine at work about Moto GP racing and why there are so many spanish riders in the worlds elite class. He said that the Spanish Governement put in a lot of money to the sport. The motorcycling media always takes pride in saying how the British Superbike series is the best domestic championship in the world, much like the idiots who believe in football, the British Premiere League is also the best domestic series. As for bikes, that may be so, but for the world stage, we need to have huge investment in the developing and encouragement in new talent, something sadly lacking in this country. Taking one sport, cycling. Who can say where there is a velodrome in England or Wales?. The only one i can name is i believe at RAF Cosford, and that`s on a military base, hardly open to the public. Another thing to consider is that when we do have facilities, even the most basic, more often than not, groups of youngsters are being told they can`t use them, so they lay there unused, and get torn down and re-developed into houses or a shopping mall.

Three I can think of Neil, one in London that was the Olympic one, the Manchester commonwealth one, and up here Glasgow's built for the games here, and named after  Chris Hoy.

I could go political on this subject, very easily, but, both you and I know, that is not on:norty:

cheers Iain