re-carpeting boat

addicted

John asked: "Are they glued down, or what, Steve? "

In the saloon, where there are lots of liftable floor panels, I stuck the tiles down lightly using "tackifier" spray. This holds them in place, but allows them to be changed easily when required. Everywhere else, I just laid the tiles and they seem to hold each other in place very well indeed.

cheers

Steve

I've used carpet tiles throughout on Sunbird. In the saloon area, there are a lot of liftable panels, edged with ally angle. Trapping the tiles under this means they don't move. Elsewhere, they all fit between fixed edges - so nowhere for them to move to! Just a word of warning, after several years, dark colours fade alarmingly in the fierce Norfolk sun (feel free to laugh hysterically). So replacing an odd tile for one you've had in storage will be very noticable. But they're so cheap, just replace the whole area. I used seconds from a local carpet retailer. I couldn't see any defects, and neither has anyone else. Been down about ten years, and apart from the colour fade, as good as new.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tangara said:

Crumbs Iain I Thought the arrows meant lay towards the pointy  bit :rolleyes:

cheers

Ray

Nah Ray, a carpet fitter told me it can show the shading differently, pending if the arrows all face the same way :naughty:

Probably an old wives tale !

cheersIain

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SteveO said:

John asked: "Are they glued down, or what, Steve? "

In the saloon, where there  large amounts. lots of liftable floor panels, I stuck the tiles down lightly using "tackifier" spray. This holds them in place, but allows them to be changed easily when required. Everywhere else, I just laid the tiles and they seem to hold each other in place very well indeed.

cheers

Steve

Thanks, Steve, that's what I want. I've checked with most of our local DIY stores but can only find it in large bagged amounts. 

Did you buy your spray locally, please? (there ate lots of places that flog it on the internet).   :wave

1 hour ago, imtamping2 said:

Just found a 10% discount from the above site ....ends today.....SUPER10

They have other suitable products for tackifier have a search

Unfortunately they charge £9.60 P&P for two cans..................................... and the SUPER10 comes back as " Voucher Not Valid "     :cry   :cry   :cry