re-carpeting boat

addicted

On the back of  having White carpets (yes white!) and having looked after

daughter's dog for  month last season,we are probably going to have

to re-carpet this season and HWATBO  (he who aspires to being to being obeyed)

is worried that the the average carpet dealer won't be familiar enough with boats to

know what's required. So I've told him "worry not there's bound to be

someone on the forum that knows just the place to go". We're based in Brundall

and will need the new carpet to be over sewn at  the edges. Any suggestions?

regards,

Carole

Carole! the place below does it all including binding, from what I hear his prices arnt bad for fitting,  My son in law does a lot of Geoffs work, if you get stuck message me and I'll pass it on to my son in law and he may do it privately for you as he's self employed,,,

Frank,,,,,

Forgot to mention my son in law does lots of boats including Vinyl,,,

Rugz N Matz
Carpet Retail Shop

Address: 119 High St, Stalham, Norwich NR12 9BA
Phone:01692 580896
Hours:
Open today · 9:30am–4pm

1 minute ago, Mowjo said:
Carole! the place below does it all including binding, from what I hear his prices arnt bad for fitting,  My son in law does a lot of Geoffs work, if you get stuck message me and I'll pass it on to my son in law and he may do it privately for you as he's self employed,,,

Frank,,,,,

Rugz N Matz
Carpet Retail Shop

Address: 119 High St, Stalham, Norwich NR12 9BA
Phone:01692 580896
Hours:
Open today · 9:30am–4pm

thanks so much for that Frank, I'll pass it onto my other half,

regards,

Carole

Fitted carpets cover a multitude of sins.......... and I vowed never to have them on board.  Maybe a rug but..........

I was in the  front carpet with bare feet (if my feet hadn't been bare, I would not have known) and I suddenly realised the carpet was soggy and needless to say everything else underneath was as well.  The drain holes in the ribs were blocked so that the water coming through the stem (due to gribble worm holes) wasn't reaching the bilge pump.

Okay wooden boat!

WR stem and chine 14.03.11.jpg

WR uncleared stem 15.03.11.jpg

3 hours ago, w-album said:

Fitted carpets cover a multitude of sins.......... and I vowed never to have them on board.  Maybe a rug but..........

I was in the  front carpet with bare feet (if my feet hadn't been bare, I would not have known) and I suddenly realised the carpet was soggy and needless to say everything else underneath was as well.  The drain holes in the ribs were blocked so that the water coming through the stem (due to gribble worm holes) wasn't reaching the bilge pump.

Okay wooden boat!

WR stem and chine 14.03.11.jpg

WR uncleared stem 15.03.11.jpg

If we had water coming up under the saloon floor I think I can safely say we'd be sitting on the bottom!  As  technically, the saloon is at 1st floor level, the engine bay  being directly below - the cockpit being above and to the stern. Hence I doubt a carpet could hide water ingress In the saloon, but  thank you for your concerns.

regards,

Carole

We have removable bound carpets right through SP. They were measured and cut by Kerrys of North Walsham (Mattress Man) although they did use Rugz and Matz to bind them. Very efficient and I though reasonably priced, fitted perfectly first time, best part no hassle crawling around measuring.

The photo shows just a little of their work.

84ST.JPG

• Like 3

I used carpet tiles with a thermal underlay board, nice and cosy and with the board that was left ( a lot) I put it under the mattress. that makes the bed warm on the cooler nights and doesn't seem to make much difference on the rare hot ones.

I got the tiles from B&Q for less than half the price of a carpet so after a few years a new set of tiles for free.

paul

• Like 1

We used carpet tiles from B&Q. Very easy to fit and very practical, as can lift floor panels to access engine, stern gland etc when needeed. When someone who must be obeyed accidentally dropped and smashed a bottle of red wine in galley, the after effects were simply removed from the boat, hosed down, dried and re-fitted with no ill-effects whatsoever. I bought a few spares, so can replace worn or damaged tiles when needed.

cheers

8 hours ago, SteveO said:

We used carpet tiles from B&Q. Very easy to fit and very practical, as can lift floor panels to access engine, stern gland etc when needeed. When someone who must be obeyed accidentally dropped and smashed a bottle of red wine in galley, the after effects were simply removed from the boat, hosed down, dried and re-fitted with no ill-effects whatsoever. I bought a few spares, so can replace worn or damaged tiles when needed.

cheers

Are they glued down, or what, Steve?

Hi John, I havnt actually done Tangara yet, but it was the method I have used on previous boats andvwill be doing the same on Tangara. With Caroles ongoing woes the boat has been on the back burner for a while, but we have a riverside holiday rental over easter in Brundall so will hopefully get most of the remaining jobs finished including the carpet tiles

cheers

Ray

There is only ONE type of carpet that should be used in boats IMHO - that's 'Flotex'.  It's pressure washable and virtually completely stain proof.  It also needs no binding.

If you can find a commercial carpet fitter you may be able to find a suitable off cut, It's also available as tiles.

• Like 1

I didn't stick the carpet just used double sided sticky tape also had half a pack spare so I have change the ones next to the cooker that seem to get most of the wear.

Boats are not normally a nice regular floor area so I would have needed to buy nearly twice as much carpet than needed.

paul

• Like 1

We have used carpet tiles and they are not secured in any way. No problems with that. A couple of years back, some oil was spilt on a couple of them and it was very easy to just replace the offending tiles. (It is nice to have something a bit more comfortable to walk around on in bare feet too!) There are a couple of inspection hatches which are virtually the same size as the tiles as luck would have it. We started by covering those with a single tile each and worked outwards to cover the rest of the floor, it worked a treat and we've been very pleased with the result. I must admit though, I do also use a number of washable mats. Having dogs, they can get mucky  quite quickly and to be able to take them home and put them in the washing machine is a boon (the mats, not the dogs!!)

Firstly I agree with Poppy, Flotex in virtually indistructable, and you can get it in tile form, not the cheapest but definately the best, with tile slippage it depends on the type of backing they have, if they are the cheaper bitumen backed type they will slip and shrink and the backing will also crack, the rubber backed ones are the best option they don't tend to slip and won't crack or shrink, if your worried about slippage have a word with a carpet fitter or small carpet shop and ask if you can buy some carpet tackifier from them, you just coat the floor with it and it stops any movement, it acts a bit like the glue on post-it notes allowing you to lift of move tiles, the Pro one you can only buy in 5ltr's but you can get it in spay from  Tackifier

If you can go for the best ones as they last longer and don't shrink, if your on a tight budget the cheap ones will do the job, just make sure you have a few spares so you can change one or two if they get damaged, like everything you get what you pay for, 

Frank,,,,

• Like 1