Sods Law

It`s very annoying when the clouds disappear, the clear night sky all very apparent with stars shining bright, and you wake up to a crisp white morning and -3 on the temperature gauge, and your central heating has packed in. At least with a power shower we can still have a shower, and the woodburner has really come into its own. We had to buy a couple of oil filled radiators yesterday, but they are small, and only take the chill off the place. Never mind, tomorrow the gas man is coming to hopefully repair the boiler, but it would`nt surprise me to find out we`re going to need a new one?. Such is life.

24 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s very annoying when the clouds disappear, the clear night sky all very apparent with stars shining bright, and you wake up to a crisp white morning and -3 on the temperature gauge, and your central heating has packed in. At least with a power shower we can still have a shower, and the woodburner has really come into its own. We had to buy a couple of oil filled radiators yesterday, but they are small, and only take the chill off the place. Never mind, tomorrow the gas man is coming to hopefully repair the boiler, but it would`nt surprise me to find out we`re going to need a new one?. Such is life.

Neil if you are a Combi boilef are you sure the water pressure hasn't dropped below the working level? I would have bought convector heaters....oil ones eat electric and not as good as convectors imho.

Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

cheersIain.

5 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Neil if you are a Combi boilef are you sure the water pressure hasn't dropped below the working level? I would have bought convector heaters....oil ones eat electric and not as good as convectors imho.

Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

cheersIain.

No, definitely not a combo boiler Ian, i won`t have one. I had a combo in my flat, more trouble than they`re worth. At least with a duplex boiler, you have a water tank which you can put an imersion heater in, something i`m going to have done when we do eventually get round to having a new system. With an imersion heater in the hot water tank, we`ll have a back up if this happens again. I like to cover most probable eventualities, so i`s going to be a standard boiler, with imersion heater back up.

Someone at work said "it`s always in winter when things like this happen". Pretty logical really, as you would`nt have the central heating on in summer.

As for a convector heater, we started using it, but it gave up too, so we had the radiator type instead.

Whatever system you decide upon, you really should consider fitting one of these - Plumbers hate them and as a standard practise do not advertise them to their clients as they save on breakdowns and make servicing a breeze

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/magnaclean-professional2-22mm-filter---black/?gclid=COTpjaD0vssCFcluGwodG3gJBA

They can be found on Youtube as well.  There, the 'Secret' is out.  I have one fitted and they come well recommended

Griff

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Whatever system you decide upon, you really should consider fitting one of these - Plumbers hate them and as a standard practise do not advertise them to their clients as they save on breakdowns and make servicing a breeze

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/magnaclean-professional2-22mm-filter---black/?gclid=COTpjaD0vssCFcluGwodG3gJBA

They can be found on Youtube as well.  There, the 'Secret' is out.  I have one fitted and they come well recommended

Griff

Hi Griff,

we had a quote from British Gas, but a good friend in my archery club (an ex British Gas engineer) recommended i get them to do a complete itemised quote, and one of those was on the list. My archery friend recommended getting BG to do the quote, but get an indipendant firm to do the same job, with all the same fixtures and fittings for a much cheaper quote. BG came in at well over £4,000 for a new WB boiler, plus new hot water tank, CH pump, all pipework, chimney etc etc, and one of those filters. I`m hoping the firm we`ve just had (who he recommended and did the service and clean and DID get it working fine) will give us a like for like quote, only considerably cheaper?.

SP  -  'My' Plumber does this type of work, but he doesn't have to or likes travelling too far, having said that we recently talked him into work at Whitby and Wisbech.  £4k to me sounds a lot but to be honest I'm not that clued up on plumbers prices, labour /. materials etc.  We had a new boiler installed a few years ago now at our humble hovel (Wocester boiler)  and it was nowhere near £4k and I had it moved from the kitchen up into the loft, no new radiators needed though, besides whenever I need a new radiator then I fit them myself, moving pipework included.  One thing is for sure BG are at the top of the food chain and command the highest prices, I would only use them for estimates just to scare mysen.  There is no need to pay their prices, plenty of plumbers are just as experienced if not more so for a lot less money.  The self employed guys tend to have smaller overheads so should be more competitive. The Magnaclean PF2 filters I mentioned earlier really do work but you should follow the YouTube example after they are installed to give the whole system a thorough clan out.  I plan to do our system this coming spring.  SP - Just remind me again where are you based?

Griff