Eberspacher Help

JIMG_20170803_203532.thumb.jpg.56cf1c115adf719f92f6f4881694064e.jpgJust up on the boat putting up new wall lining carpet, went to fire up the Eberspacher and can't get it to run , the green light is flashing I can't recall it ever doing that pretty sure its always solid green, it goes through its firing up procedure but then stops and the green light flashes, I've uploaded a pic but don't think the light shows, its the light top right of the display

Before doing anything check your battery voltage. Low voltage causes shutdown and a green flashing light as I found to my cost in the winter when aboard and had forgot to switch battery charger on- doh!

Hth

Cheers

Trev

• Like 1

If you Google your particular model heater you will find a data sheet with the error codes - this will mean you can decode from the number flashes or speed the LED will flash what the heater is reporting to be at fault.

Usually as Trev says, it is low voltage and in my experience is a steady constant flashing rather than a series of flashes and then a pause and repeating.

These heaters require a lot of Amps initially to run the glow plug to ignite the fuel in the combustion chamber - this will stay 'glowing' for some period until the unit detects a steady flame.  Once that happens the glow plug is turned off and the fan speed ramps up at the same time as the solenoid fuel pump will make its distinctive 'ticking' noise more rapidly.

Another idea if you have no means to test the actual voltage is start your engine, let it tick over at a reasonable RPM say 1,200 for 10 minutes and then try starting your heating with the engine running - if it starts and stays going this would shout to me that you do indeed have a low voltage in your domestic batteries.

• Like 1

Sometimes you need to do an engineer reset if it has failed to start a few times,  usually just removing the fuse for ten seconds. I have found the fault codes accurate to diagnose the problem but would follow Robins advice first then read the codes,  then do a rest if needed.

Thanks for all the helpful advice ,I did try googling the fault codes but the marina i'm in the phone signal is rather limited and don't think they have heard of WiFi here yet , pretty sure dial up is still the norm around here, problem solved though its now working fine, bit of a red face moment but diesel powered heaters weirdly enough need diesel to run and the  tank was empty, 5 ltrs of the smelly stuff and its back in action, being a petrol powered boat  I never thought to check the second tank ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Would you like to join the Esteemed Idiots of Norfolk Association? As a founder member, I could send you an application form. You'll have to document all your past acts of idiocy, and pass an entrance exam. 

But even that won't let you into the Old Coots Club!

On 8/4/2017 at 17:46, Jocave said:

Thanks for all the helpful advice ,I did try googling the fault codes but the marina i'm in the phone signal is rather limited and don't think they have heard of WiFi here yet , pretty sure dial up is still the norm around here, problem solved though its now working fine, bit of a red face moment but diesel powered heaters weirdly enough need diesel to run and the  tank was empty, 5 ltrs of the smelly stuff and its back in action, being a petrol powered boat  I never thought to check the second tank ...

Hello Jocave,

I have uploaded some manual files for the Eberspacher D2-D4 heating systems.

http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/forum/29-service-manuals-and-wiring-diagrams/

A couple of years ago when we were having issues with our heating I came across a company that were offering an exchange service on these heaters for around £350 that came with 12 months warranty. Sadly I do not have their details to hand, if I come across them I will let you know.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...