Good Luck Liverpool

Good luck Liverpool for tonight in the champions league. It won't be easy,but Think if they play well they can do it.

Think FIFA  need to  look at how arrangements are dealt with for those traveling to large compertians.Watching the news seems some have had a rough time getting there.

Good luck Ian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian

I'll be watching tonight for sure, let's hope Salah does his magic, should be a good game. Our resident Firefighter is a huge Liverpool supporter, I hope your boys in red do good babe

:default_trophy: I'll be wearing red :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Hi Ian

I'll be watching tonight for sure, let's hope Salah does his magic, should be a good game. Our resident Firefighter is a huge Liverpool supporter, I hope your boys in red do good babe

:default_trophy: I'll be wearing red :default_icon_kiss:

Grace

I agree Grace,but as much as I want to Liverpool to win I can't wear red.I would not be welcome back at Stamford bridge. Still come on Liverpool. :default_biggrin:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Is it only on BBC sport?

It is shown on BT Sport, however they are streaming it free of charge. I believe you can access it via their own web page or their youtube channel. 

27 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Is it only on BBC sport?

I'm not certain Monica but I believe so. I'll be watching it on my Brothers new tv, it does everything but the washing up. Honestly. why can't you just get a normal tv that you press a button to make it work rather than talking to the ruddy thing. It's the size of a football pitch too, well okay a bit of an exaggeration but not far off :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 1

Well said Ian. Unfortunately, having been to every game my boy and I qualified for tickets to the final but at £1000 for the plane tickets on top of the match tickets and accomodation I was unfortunately priced out of going to Kiev but we will be cheering them on as ever tonight.

I am quietly confident, but this is football so who knows what will happen.

We've conquered all of Europe,

We're never going to stop,

From Paris down to Turkey,

We've won the f*****g lot,

Bob Paisley and Bill Shankly,

The Fields of Anfield Road,

We are loyal supporters,

And we come from Liverpool!

Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez, Allez...

:default_trophy:

I recall my brother chanting a song that probably went to the same tune. Mum disapproved for reasons that remain a mystery.

Fatty passed to Finny,

Finny passed it back.

Fatty made a rotten shot

and knocked the goalie flat.

Where was the goalie when the ball was in the net?

Hanging on the goalpost with his girlfriend round his neck.

Maybe there was a second verse.......:default_coat:

• Haha 1

O, my old man's a dustman
He wears a dustman's hat
He bought two thousand tickets
To see a football match

Oh, Fatty passed to Skinny
And Skinny passed it back
Fatty took a rotten shot
And knocked the goalie flat, OOH!

Where was the goalie
When the ball went in the net?
Halfway up the goalpost
With his trousers round his neck, singing

Oompah, oompah
Stick it up you jumper
Rule Britannia, marmalde and jam
We threw sausages at our old man

They put him on a stetcher
They put him on a bed
They rubbed his belly
With a five pound jelly
But the poor old soul was dead

:default_biggrin:

I'm afraid the champions league leaves a bitter taste for me these days. The money involved, is quite simply obscene. 

It's not a league of champions , it's a league of rich clubs getting richer.

Italy , England, Germany , Spain and France all get 4 clubs straight into the league stages. Other " peasant " footballing nations champions have to play up to 4 rounds ( 8 games) before they can join the feeding frenzy. It's really not what sport and football in particular should be about. 

It has very much become the elite club, with Real Madrid faviroutes to win it for the 3rd consecutive year. 

I love my football, and I am very passionate about my team Hibernian, but I kid you not, if they started paying players obscene amounts of cash , I would walk away. It's the working mans game,  or that was how it was.

39 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

I'm afraid the champions league leaves a bitter taste for me these days. The money involved, is quite simply obscene. 

It's not a league of champions , it's a league of rich clubs getting richer.

Italy , England, Germany , Spain and France all get 4 clubs straight into the league stages. Other " peasant " footballing nations champions have to play up to 4 rounds ( 8 games) before they can join the feeding frenzy. It's really not what sport and football in particular should be about. 

It has very much become the elite club, with Real Madrid faviroutes to win it for the 3rd consecutive year. 

I love my football, and I am very passionate about my team Hibernian, but I kid you not, if they started paying players obscene amounts of cash , I would walk away. It's the working mans game,  or that was how it was.

Obscene money in the Champions League? This match will be worth around £4m to the winners. Compare that to the £160m pay day the winners of this afternoons Championship Play Off Final will receive and I think it put's the Champions League into perspective. 

I'm in two minds on how teams get into the tournament. As a life long Liverpool fan who has followed them through thick and thin (I was in Rome in 84, sadly in Brussels in 85, I stood on the terraces of Leppings Lane in 89 and was pitchside in the Attaturk for the miracle of Instanbul in 2005) a part of me still thinks that only National League winners should go forward, as it was in "the good old days". However the good old days were anything but, of course. Players retiring virtually crippled and penniless as chairman grew fat on the profits on an era with regulated wages. Don't kid yourself that football was ever "the working man's game", it was just different people growing wealthy off their backs. Take off the rose coloured spectacles and you'll see that the good old days were not as good as we like to think. Agreed, the game is far from perfect now and something has to be done to stop rich sugar daddies pouring millions, even billions of pounds into the few "fortunate"? teams to be supported by Russian or Arab oil money under the guise of vastly inflated sponsorship deals. 

The modern Champions League attempts to bring all of the best clubs together and that is exactly how it should be. Truth is there are still too many poor clubs, too many "whipping boys" in the tournament. Not all leagues are equal, the standard in different countries is not the same. As a supporter of a Scottish side you must know this. With the exception of Celtic it is unlikely that any SPL side would make it even into the English Championship, let alone Premier League. I'm not being (intentionally) derogatory, that's just how it is. Other leagues accross Europe, or the UEFA area are similar or worse. 

Every national champion has the chance to play in the UCL, but should Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi be involved in a tournament to find Europe's best because they are Finnish Champions at the expense of Real Madrid who could only finish third in Spain or Manchester United who finished second in England? Of course they shouldn't, no sensible person could suggest that they should. It seems likely that the Champions League will evolve in the coming years into a true Pan European Super League with Europe's sixteen best teams, regardless of nationality competing in it, and a cup competition similar to the UCL or UEFA awarding promotion in to it. That might just be one step too far for my liking. 

Continue to enjoy your football, and good luck to Hibs for next season. Don't get bitter just because there are other teams that compete at a higher level, life is too short. I could feel bitter towards clubs like Chelsea and Man City. I know LIverpool can never compete against their spending power and without doing so are unlikely to win a Premier League Title. Thankfully there is the Leicester City phenomenon to keep us dreaming. 

Enjoy your football, and if you run into Fish at Easter Road please pass on my regards.

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

Obscene money in the Champions League? This match will be worth around £4m to the winners. Compare that to the £160m pay day the winners of this afternoons Championship Play Off Final will receive and I think it put's the Champions League into perspective. 

I'm in two minds on how teams get into the tournament. As a life long Liverpool fan who has followed them through thick and thin (I was in Rome in 84, sadly in Brussels in 85, I stood on the terraces of Leppings Lane in 89 and was pitchside in the Attaturk for the miracle of Instanbul in 2005) a part of me still thinks that only National League winners should go forward, as it was in "the good old days". However the good old days were anything but, of course. Players retiring virtually crippled and penniless as chairman grew fat on the profits on an era with regulated wages. Don't kid yourself that football was ever "the working man's game", it was just different people growing wealthy off their backs. Take off the rose coloured spectacles and you'll see that the good old days were not as good as we like to think. Agreed, the game is far from perfect now and something has to be done to stop rich sugar daddies pouring millions, even billions of pounds into the few "fortunate"? teams to be supported by Russian or Arab oil money under the guise of vastly inflated sponsorship deals. 

The modern Champions League attempts to bring all of the best clubs together and that is exactly how it should be. Truth is there are still too many poor clubs, too many "whipping boys" in the tournament. Not all leagues are equal, the standard in different countries is not the same. As a supporter of a Scottish side you must know this. With the exception of Celtic it is unlikely that any SPL side would make it even into the English Championship, let alone Premier League. I'm not being (intentionally) derogatory, that's just how it is. Other leagues accross Europe, or the UEFA area are similar or worse. 

Every national champion has the chance to play in the UCL, but should Helsingin Jalkapalloklubi be involved in a tournament to find Europe's best because they are Finnish Champions at the expense of Real Madrid who could only finish third in Spain or Manchester United who finished second in England? Of course they shouldn't, no sensible person could suggest that they should. It seems likely that the Champions League will evolve in the coming years into a true Pan European Super League with Europe's sixteen best teams, regardless of nationality competing in it, and a cup competition similar to the UCL or UEFA awarding promotion in to it. That might just be one step too far for my liking. 

Continue to enjoy your football, and good luck to Hibs for next season. Don't get bitter just because there are other teams that compete at a higher level, life is too short. I could feel bitter towards clubs like Chelsea and Man City. I know LIverpool can never compete against their spending power and without doing so are unlikely to win a Premier League Title. Thankfully there is the Leicester City phenomenon to keep us dreaming. 

Enjoy your football, and if you run into Fish at Easter Road please pass on my regards.

I'm not bitter. Not at all. I only posted an opinion.

Players crippled and penniless? Really? 30 years ago players earned around 4 times the average wage, they weren't poor , far from it. 

If you agree with the rich getting richer , strong getting stronger , while the peasants stay in their box, looking in with almost no chance of ever breaking into the elite , then that of course is your perogative. 

Its not , in my mind view, what sport should be. 

Liverpool , was a club built on strong proud traditions , of being for the people , one of them , all in it together . Many working class Liverpudlians can no longer afford to go and see their club, while they pay their players many millions a year for the privelidge. I don't think Mr Shankly would be too impressed either.

Enjoy the game . Good luck.

Neil 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

while they pay their players many millions a year for the privelidge.

Sadly they have to, but equally sadly not enough millions to avoid our best players leaving for richer paydays elsewhere. That is why I said "something has to be done to stop rich sugar daddies pouring millions, even billions of pounds into the few "fortunate"? teams to be supported by Russian or Arab oil money under the guise of vastly inflated sponsorship deals.

If clubs had to live according to their genuine means it would be a start.

sorry I'm not a firestick expert. On our now tv box it went straight in. I first tried casting from my laptop and it was taking forever to load. We do have a smart TV but I can't access youtube on it as some delightful little child has lost the remote