Windy out tuesday

Guest Davey Jones

We left brundal just after first light tuesday morning 13-12-2011,with strong winds and heavy rain we headed down to lowestoft via mutford lock, on the first leg of a trip to the south coast,by the time we reached reedham the sun was out and wind was dropping,reedham swing bridge very kindly opened up to let us through even though they had told us there would be a 30 to 45min weight due to peak times,not so lucky when we arived at somerlaton swing bridge think the operator was still asleep!,somethings never change,passing through orton broads and saw a famillar formite on his boat,after a blast of horn and a shout(normal broads signals)we failed to catch his attention, prob checking his new mooring system,and as we were on a tight schedule re lock and bridge opening were unable to stop.

As we had not driven or tested this boat before we decided that we would give it a short sea trial before heading for shotly marina,with a forcast of 8 gusting 9 and wind over tide,it was going to be a good test of the boats capabilty,before you think we had totaly lost it I should point out we were about to test the legenary nelson 45 hull,which is cat A rated offshore and a semi-displacment boat with new running gear,after leaving the harbour and heading down the stamford channel we reached a top speed of 19knt's,we were more than impressed , but the going was very hard,we decided that we would return to lowestoft and watch for a weather window.half way back there was two large bangs and we had lost steeridge and prepulsion,for a short time before regaining control again,on arival back at the royal norfolk and sufolk we found that we had lost the anchor and all the chain attached to it,that would account for the problems .

sorry for rambling on hope to continue the trip this weekend.

As there was no vibrations ect,hopping all ok,will soon show up next time out.sat early sunday wind backing nw,thats our window we hope shall be going straight accross thames estuary to dover.

Bloody hell Meryln, good job the chain was held on with a bit of string at the end, you hear of stuff like that ending in tears so really glad you got through it well and pleased your friend's Nelly coped well, safe passage when you try again.

please excuse if double post as just sent one and not shown,bit like the weather window today.

No this is not my boat,delivery for a mate,new to me one's tucked up safe and sound back on old mooring in neptune.(not that mad)

yes we were very lucky that the anchor released,shall be on check list to fit extra binding ,old one was clamped as well.

Hi Merlin !!

I spoke to Roy at lunchtime yesterday and he said you had blasted - I didn't hear a thing, although I had a couple of guys from the factory on board so was trying to listen to them in the wind !

Glad you are both ok, and the anchor is now sorted - it would of been a rough trip down yesterday and you definitely made the right decision - although great to get a little bit in in bad weather to see how the new boat coped ! Good luck for the weekend, and if you need anything let me know....

Luke

Hi Luke

Thanks for the offer,yes that was the idea to just pop our nose out to test boat,in an area that I no and easy to get back in.if some thing's going to fail ,better there.just like to thank Mike Dacey from Maritime support ltd,very helpful and reasonable prices re anchor and chain,highly recomend,

Left lowestoft approx 9am sat morning,forecast looking OK,going to try for Dover,crossing went well until rounding kentish nock,sky went black,wind got up and tide was changing to wind over,very confused sea's and a very hairy passage to ramsgate,arrived at Dover about 3.30pm.

Left Dover before 7am still dark,wind over tide again,hoping for Brighton or solent,passage around beachy head very lumpy,but not a problem,tide changed to run with wind, both on the nose now,going better,arrived in hamble approx 3.30pm trip complete,boat to stay here until couple of repairs carried out,

The passage went very well considering weather conditions approx 15hr's hav't checked log yet ,only major concern was a split deep seal,to port shaft,that we managed to contain.as I have not yet sorted out,inserting photos on here,hope to have a full post on ybw,

wishing you all a happy Christmas merlyn

Yes wipers did have to work hard,one started to come of,but there were no volunteers to go out and fix it,thanks for posting clips david,got a few more but as it is spottys boat letting him post up first.

Sounds like the boat has really quiet engines or really noisy wipers.

Yes engine's are not bad,couple of 2009 cummin's 480's, we were very impressed with feul consumption at around 9 to 10 gallons an hr at 16 to 17nt's in heavy sea's,