All Our Yesterdays

addicted

We stayed for three years at a lovely Caravan Park in Mundesley, tucked away at the entry to the village. Owned by Mr Crawford. It is now a small housing estate. Many happy and eventful moments, my sister met her future husband through our stay there but I spent the next years at school looking out of the window reliving those moments and dreaming of Norfolk,  concentrating on not concentrating! I blame Norfolk for my lack of learning at school! I remember the distinctive smell of the gas lights. 

The first holiday I can remember was in a corrugated iron roofed shack in Hemsby with an Elsan in a shed at the bottom of the garden, water was pumped to the kitchen sink. I was very taken by the main drag to the beach because it had wooden boardwalks not pavements just like in the westerns and there were proper Romanies in the field opposite who let me sit on a horse bareback - my Nan went spare when she found out. Must have late Fifties.

• Like 1

Hemsby and Happisburgh.

Ah! The elsan. What a scary place for a young child. It was, it was, so spooky. A bit pongy too.......and dark.

Every shop amongst the gaily painted buckets and spades seemed to sell shrimp nets. So, duly equipped with net and bucket for the catch one would wade out into the north sea to harvest shrimps for tea. Not that we caught very much. Mum used to boil them in a saucepan whilst still alive. I didn't enjoy that bit very much, silly really I suppose.

The 1960s  we lived in Wiltshire, about 60 miles from the sea, so Saturdays were "get out and play" i.e. round the village, the castle or down to the edge of the New Forest.

Sundays were Church in the morning, and then get out and play in the afternoon.

There was only one car in our street of several hundred houses...

We used to go on holiday somewhere on the south coast from Swanage through to Isle of Wight for a week each summer, It took over two hours just to get to the nearest beach!

In the 70s, my parents, lived in the Outer Hebrides so I was sent to a council school and hostel in Inverness, Holidays were just going home at the end of term. Miles of sandy beaches with no one on them, because if it was not raining or blowing a gale you were being eaten by midges...

The younger generation have no idea just how slow average speeds were before the Motorway was born and roads were dualled.

We lived in Bucks and Swanage was 5 hours when I was young and my father did not hang about. By the time I was in my mid thirties with a boat moored at Wareham I had better than halfed that time.

Years ago I seemed to spend half my life driving from Neatishead to Weston Super-mare

through

Norwich, Thetford, Newmarket, Cambridge, Bedford, Bletchley, Buckingham, Swindon,  and on and on....

Before the M6 was built it took me over six n a half hours to go from Ayr to Old Roan, Liverpool. As for the drive to Prestatyn it was eight hours plus!

The A6 was a nightmare, one lorry and that was you stuck in first or second gear for mile after mile ! Still on the bright side you did get four gallons of petrol for a £1.00!!! 

cheersIain

• Like 1

Three hours or so from Macclesfield to Abersoch after a days work in Manchester didn't even think about it in my 1600 vitesse soft top. and before that my 1957 Standard super 10, that one kept falling over so I got a Herald 1200 soft top which also fell over so I got the Vitesse which didn't. A truly great car.

• Like 2