Help

5 years ago, I took a wild kitten from the car park in my hotel and brought it home. It is now a beautiful cat and part of the family. Today, I found another one and brought it home - any advice on the best way to introduce them to each other would be appreciated?

• Like 2

With the ferrets we introduce them using two transporter boxes at first so they can sniff at each other but not harm.

Maybe put the new one in a transporter box and let your current one come and investigate, at some point you are going to have to just let them work it out for themselves.

I have ended up with 2 separate groups of ferrets because 2 females would not get along and would have fought to the death, like little ninja's there were lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, riyadhcrew said:

5 years ago, I took a wild kitten from the car park in my hotel and brought it home. It is now a beautiful cat and part of the family. Today, I found another one and brought it home - any advice on the best way to introduce them to each other would be appreciated?

Grendel....where are you! I think he is our cat man, Eric.

cheersIain

There is no simple answer to your question.  Different cats will react very differently to the same situation.  Usually though you will find that older cats are reasonably tolerant of young ones, because they do not see a kitten as a "threat" to their territory.  First, let the new one explore the house without the older one, this will allow it to "discover" the scent of your older cat.  Then when the kitten is shut away and your older cat returns it will quickly learn that there is a new cat in the house.  Try to keep them apart for a while, but don't keep the kitten in the older one's favourite hiding place or room. If you have a way of letting them see each other without physical contact then that may help too, but don't put the kitten into a small cage with nowhere for it to "retreat" to.  When you do introduce them make sure that the kitten is not in one of the older cats "favourite places" and if either looks worried or aggressive then separate them immediately.

Try not to change the various "routines" of your cat.  It will perceive any change as being "caused by" the new one and that will increase tension.  If you can carry on as normal with the kitten present then your cat will be less disconcerted by its arrival.

good luck!

• Like 3

we go against the grain and all the usual advice and just let them meet and work it out, we have tried bringing new ones into the fold with cages, segregated areas etc, but at the end of the day, they have to sort out the pecking order. we do have plenty of nooks and crannies that are safe 1 cat spots if they want to hide.

The only thing we still do is feed the new one remote to the rest for the first few weeks, then gradually move the feeding areas closer until they all feed together. we still have the occasional hissing sessions between various cats, but its usually a warning to back off - if not someone usually gets batted round the head next, but in general our 7 are well adjusted to each other. generally older cats are more accepting of a new kitten than a new older cat, and will try and mother the younger one (not always appreciated).

As long as the newcomer has a safe spot they can back into and feel safe they should be ok.

Grendel

• Like 3

We have open house for all the local cats. Cat flap open all hours. Hilarious at times, but not fun in the spraying season. Magnets get lost and we do plan getting our TWO micro chipped but that costs..  Some our cats say hi to, come in, sleep on our beds, eat what you like no worries - others it all out war, fur everywhere.  No rhyme or reason :)

• Like 2

We have two cats one is 16 years old the other 8.Most of the time there fine,the younger will pick on the older cat some times.A few years back a stay would come in the cat flap for food,they we sure about that.Its not easy,but they will find there own level.

• Like 2

We kept Cleo in the spare room for the first weeks, she was a special case, being afraid of us and everything else. I built her a retreat in there where she felt safe. Cherry knew there was another cat but was banned from the spare room. I sat in the room with her for hours until she came out of her own accord.

In the event, Cherry got in and hissed at Cleo, after which Cleo relaxed and began to settle really well. Cherry never let Cleo cuddle up with her, except at the cattery, but they rubbed along together very well.

• Like 2