Navigation Lights Off At Midnight?

JennyMorgan

Rather a tenuous thread title Peter. :)

A good thing though, as you say, if it will prevent any new housing developments from polluting the night sky here.

Broadland's clear moonless nights are quite stunning, with only the distant looms towards Norwich and Yarmouth.

So different from urban starscapes.

Will the Broads magical nights be lost for ever? Surely the amount of housing development, in place at this moment in time together with proposed development in the future impact on this spectacle. 

The northern bypass, with its roundabout's and of course attraction for commercial and private buildings will due to its close proximity to the Broads will also, inevitably, bring light pollution.

Be in awe at what you see on moonlit nights. We might be the last generation to witness these moments.

Andrew

• Like 2

It's one thing reducing light pollution from street lights, but there are many of these 150-500 watt halogen flood lights in people's gardens that can be a pain. Some are triggered by movement, wild life can trigger these too.

There are many people that like to look at their garden at night from their conservatories, better seen during the day, and you see a lot more wildlife from the conservatory when dark.

There are a few on properties adjoining the rivers of the Broads, these can play havoc with night vision, if you are cruising. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that lights shining across the waterway were not allowed, yet a few riverside pubs still break this rule, or at least they used to, we have not cruised after dark for a few seasons, and many of those cruises have been to get away from the pub. lol

NOTE:- we are a private craft, we have navigation lights and are insured to cruise at night. Hire craft are not permitted to cruise after dark.

• Like 1

Something we can all help with in our humble way. A year or so back I had the real pleasure of conning Broad Ambition from Stalham to Horning for the RRR. Have also had several night trips through Potter over recent years. In both cases, & Horning in particular, the amount of extraneous lighting along the bank alarmed me. The navigation bylaws regarding misleading lights on the bank are quite clear, most should not be there. That aside, why the perceived need for them? Thieves like lighting, they can see what they are doing! So called security lighting has done nothing to enhance the river banks at night. We have 'townies' living next door to us, heavens only knows what their electricity bill is but the woman of the house tells me that she can't cope with the darkness of the countryside. As it is she saves us money, her lighting illuminates our bathroom a treat!

Re navigation bylaws & I quote:

The master of every vessel shall ensure that: (a) Byelaws 34 to 45 are complied with in all weathers. (b) The Byelaws concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Byelaws or as do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look out or with the safe navigation of any other vessel.

Nothing in there that restricts lights on the bank, unless someone knows otherwise. In my opinion there should be.  I am meeting Dr Packman in a few days, I shall bring this one up.

• Like 2

But then I have just found this one:

No person shall cause or permit to be exhibited within or on any land adjoining the navigation area any bright light or lantern which is capable of: (a) impairing the vision of any person navigating a vessel within the navigation area; or (b) otherwise interfering with the safe navigation of such a vessel.

I shall very definitely be asking why this bylaw is not enforced?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

We have 'townies' living next door to us, heavens only knows what their electricity bill is but the woman of the house tells me that she can't cope with the darkness of the countryside.

Rest assured Peter, some "Townies" can cope very well with the darkness of the countryside.

Maybe we even appreciate it all the more, having been subjected to a lifetime of light pollution before a blessed retirement to the countryside.

What? Has April Fools Day been moved?

The number of boats cruising after midnight all over the broads could be counted on one hand. What difference would turning off the nav lights make? None!

Is this just a bit of "jobs for the boys" so that BA can have endless meetings about it supplied with copious amounts of tea and biscuits at the cost to the licence payers?

Personally I think the nav lights should be on. If there is choppy water and you are in an enclosed cabin it would be difficult to detect an approaching boat, albeit there are not many cruising at that time of the night.

Another point is that insurance companies are very good at getting out of paying up in the case of an accident. I am sure they would love it if when questioned you were asked "were the navigation lights on" and you answered "no".

My nav lights will be on whatever happens. I am revolting!  :naughty:

Shreck 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strowager said:

Rest assured Peter, some "Townies" can cope very well with the darkness of the countryside.

Maybe we even appreciate it all the more, having been subjected to a lifetime of light pollution before a blessed retirement to the countryside.

There was me thinking that you were ex-city rather than a townie!

Indeed some incomers do become more than acceptably acclimatised.

Until recently one of my daughters lived in London for eight years before moving back now that the local train service has gone hourly. Even after only eight years she really appreciates the darkness that we enjoy. 

2 hours ago, Shreck said:

What? Has April Fools Day been moved?

The number of boats cruising after midnight all over the broads could be counted on one hand. What difference would turning off the nav lights make? None!

Is this just a bit of "jobs for the boys" so that BA can have endless meetings about it supplied with copious amounts of tea and biscuits at the cost to the licence payers?

Fear not, Shreck, despite Peter's playful choice of thread title, it has nothing whatever to do with Nav lights or even boats.

If you read the linked story, it's about light pollution from housing developments within the Broads National Park

( © NP for marketing purposes only ).....   :)

There was me thinking that you were ex-city rather than a townie!

Indeed some incomers do become more than acceptably acclimatised.

No, you were quite correct Peter, I am indeed an extreme "Incomer", from London, rather than just being just a mere ex-towny.....:)

3 hours ago, Strowager said:

Fear not, Shreck, despite Peter's playful choice of thread title, it has nothing whatever to do with Nav lights or even boats.

If you read the linked story, it's about light pollution from housing developments within the Broads National Park

( © NP for marketing purposes only ).....   :)

Oops!

In that case ignore my post except the bit about "jobs for the boys" and "tea and biscuits". :hardhat:  Must remember where I put my reading glasses and assemble my brain before posting.

Shreck.

Shreck, worry not, at least one other has been known to take my playful choice of words more seriously than ever intended. However, Strow is not quite right, housing developments do take place besides the rivers & Broads, witness the Pegasus development at Oulton Broad, the presence of which will impact on boats with its wind shadow & inevitable light pollution.

• Like 1

However, Strow is not quite right, housing developments do take place besides the rivers & Broads, witness the Pegasus development at Oulton Broad, the presence of which will impact on boats with its wind shadow & inevitable light pollution.

I'm afraid that Oulton Broad is already part of the Lowestoft conurbation Peter.

Your very enviable waterside home is right on the Western edge of an extremely built-up area already.

It's debatable whether Pegasus will make much difference to the light pollution, being already well surrounded by housing....

oulton broad.jpg

Reminds me that this why wherries have a white half moon painted on the bows, so that they can see each other coming in the dark.

For the same reason, the "planksheers" on the side of the deck are white, so that you don't walk over the side when quanting!

• Like 1