Wroit Yew Arr, Borr!

T' buggers hev orl reddy cum!

I always regret not recording my Granny Colby, good old Pakefield name is that. Born about 1880 her dialect and more especially her vocabulary have all but disappeared over the last fifty years. Local accents do exist to this day but many words of my youth have been lost. 

• Like 1

Posh schools in Norwich & Norfolk, in my day, were the prerogative of rich Norfolk farmers, and occasional boatyard owners,  for their sons and daughters. As one who went through the system I came out knowing how to drive a tractor and speak good Norfolk. Not quite what my dear Mum had hoped for!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Posh schools in Norwich & Norfolk, in my day, were the prerogative of rich Norfolk farmers, and occasional boatyard owners, 

As the son of an occasional boatyard owner, I know what you mean.

I went to prep school with Jimmy Key and Michael Mack. Yew orter a haard em!

I picked the rest of it up in Hearts Cruisers' boatsheds, much to my mother's disappointment.

Nowadays, they tell me I speak French with a broad Norfolk accent!

• Like 4

French was never my strong point, dear Miss Mathers was not the most inspiring of teachers, bless her memory. On the other hand I did manage passable Latin, very useful, even with a Norfolk accent. At Taverham I did know a Mack, broad as they came, but whether his first name was Michael or not I have no idea. Mack's mum decided that he needed to tork posh so on a number of Saturday mornings he went into the City, as he proudly proclaimed, to have his RRRRRs rolled. Inevitably we gleefully chose the alternative meaning of RRRRRs. Good bloke was Mack, only like any Norfolk borr rolling his RRRRRs didn't come naturally.

• Like 1

The Michael I knew was a Langley Junior, and farms near Blofield - sometimes to be seen in the Brick Kilns. Jimmy has gone now, I hear, but he founded the Strumpshaw steam museum.

I forgot Peter Jeckells - yew orter a haard him an all!

5 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Well when I met you at spring meet your accent sounded true na folk to me Vaughan 

Well, I am influenced by those around me of course!

Seriously, like Wussername, I am rather proud to know the Norfolk dialect. I regard it as a precious heritage.

• Like 1

Re the Strumpshaw steam museum, I knew another of the leading lights, a Jack Tye. He used to sail Orchis, Waveney number 6. Jack was undiluted Norfolk aristocracy, a farmer that was never seen without his old cloth cap, whether he had hair or not I have no idea. When Jack went sailing then so did his cap, he never had one of those pretentious  yotty caps. 

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Well, I am influenced by those around me of course!

Seriously, like Wussername, I am rather proud to know the Norfolk dialect. I regard it as a precious heritage.

A precious heritage indeed, as are our beloved Broads, a fact seemingly not considered by those in Authority.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

As the son of an occasional boatyard owner, I know what you mean.

I went to prep school with Jimmy Key and Michael Mack. Yew orter a haard em!

I picked the rest of it up in Hearts Cruisers' boatsheds, much to my mother's disappointment.

Nowadays, they tell me I speak French with a broad Norfolk accent!

Boatsheds have a lot to answer for!

I have spent many a delightful hour in the sheds at Martham, surrounded by good Norfolk talk.

For those of you who don't speak Scottish.......

Eric said "How can you Mod when you don't know what your modding? Maybe I would get it wrong and embarrass myself"

Iain said "All this gibberish isn't half making reading the forum a voyage of discovery! Can you lot not speak good English like what I am typing!"

There, how clever am I? :party:

Jeez, what ever you lot are on today, can I have some? ;)

Grace

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gracie said:

For those of you who don't speak Scottish.......

Eric said "How can you Mod when you don't know what your modding? Maybe I would get it wrong and embarrass myself"

Iain said "All this gibberish isn't half making reading the forum a voyage of discovery! Can you lot not speak good English like what I am typing!"

There, how clever am I? :party:

Jeez, what ever you lot are on today, can I have some? ;)

Grace

Dunno Grace, but we are going out for lunch with dear friends of ours. So it will be Becks Blue for me 0% The other four will know doubt blooter a couple of bottles of Chenin Blanc ! 

cheersIain

• Like 2