Richardsons RC45 and RC35

Hi Neil,

Yes there has been progress but I broke my laptop and the internet at home is broken :?

I get the odd chance at work to get on here but not all that often.

I will see what I can do.

The mould is now ready for polishing and the Superstructure nearly has a whole deck :dance

Guest rob fish

if they are like the designs they are going to the best looking boats on the broads they look good from the moulds i saw in the yard in the winter

come on 2011 cheers:Stinky

• 2 weeks later...

HI,

just a quick update so you all know what is going on :grin:

the mould is having final polishes today so the mould can be layed up next week, there has been a fair bit of work involve to get to this stage and it is really exciting to have got here.

post-503-136713697383_thumb.jpg

post-503-136713697403_thumb.jpg

plenty has also been going on with the superstructure plug as the decks have gone on and the seats in the wheelhouse all have backs on it is looking like a boat!

we are altering a few things on the back end to make the engine hatch/seat more comfortable to sit on.

so here is a photo, I did not get a recent photo of the wheelhouse but will try and put one on over the weekend.

post-503-136713697677_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Clive, since the boat is designed to get under Potter bridge, will there be some sort of reinforced handrail on the roof corner that will also protect the boat from bridge damage or do you just trust the pilots?

Ian :Sailing

since the boat is designed to get under Potter bridge, will there be some sort of reinforced handrail on the roof corner that will also protect the boat from bridge damage or do you just trust the pilots?

A rubbing strake on top to prevent bridge damage perhaps!

:lol::lol:

Hi,

Clive, since the boat is designed to get under Potter bridge, will there be some sort of reinforced handrail on the roof corner that will also protect the boat from bridge damage or do you just trust the pilots?

Probably,

it is the handrails which normally seem to scrape but as they are inset the rear corners will probably be the bits which scuff the bridges so corner plates will probably be fitted...

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

What would be the best material to make them with Clive, as wood or metal will give off splinters or razor sharpe edges which could open the floodgates for injury claims?. Could they be made from hard rubber or medium density plastic that won`t splinter. I know they will require changing on a regular basis, but it`s better than injury claims in this seue me society. :roll::roll: . Regards ......... Neil.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I forgot say what a great job your guys have done in cleaning up the mould. Well done chaps :clap:clap:clap:clap . Regards ................ Neil.

looking good clive,just out of interest what does your father think? i guess you could say he is responsable for some broads classics. does he approve or is he a traditional wooden boat fan. being a bit cheeky :naughty: we are back up in september on sunray would it be ok to have a better look at her,did try last month but thier was no one in the shed,ta

Hi Andy,

I took Dad up to have a look this afternoon to show him the hull mould with the Gel coats on, we had a look at the superstructure and he found the cockpit seats comfortable which is a good thing as he can be fairly critical about uncomfortable seats!

He finds the rest of the design good as well and beleives with us that the best time to try and get something right is now.

We are spending plenty of time getting things how we want to build them as it makes life easier during the build.

I think I have said before that building this boat is the right move as we plan on being here a long while and we need a fleet of boats which suit us and the needs of our customers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Clive, has there been any more progress, or have your team been too busy with other things?. Also, you said about the hull mould having the gel coat in, are you using the first moulding for a fleet boat, or are you going to shorten it to use it as a plug for the 35ft version?. The mould looks excellent now the guys have cleaned it up :clap:clap . Regards ............ Neil.

the hull is nearly finished being layed up, I will get some photos and see if I can get them uploaded,

The rest is gradually coming along, we hope to step up the speed soon with two pattern makers coming back onto the plug who were refurbing French boats which are now in the fleet..

Hi Clive

something i have noticed over the year hire with Herbert Woods is we tend to go with a boat that fits what our crew want also me i like to have the sofa double what ever boat we go on same on (Diamond Gem) what realy get the pressure rising is that there is less stowage there than any other part of the boat.

you come to unpack your small bag as you have to be minimalist you find that there maybe be if your lucky two draws if your boat is realy plush a locker aswell just woundering whats your view on this.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Jonny`s raised a good point there Clive. Several of the boats we`ve hired in the past have had a lack of adequate storage space in cabins, and galleys as well as the salloon. I know it must be difficult to try and fit it all in, but sometimes they have fancy dressing tables etc which take up a lot of space, and have a lack of drawers and wardrobes etc. The same goes for some boats galleys with a lack of cupboards and work tops. Something i would like to see on particularly large boats is a lobby area as you enter by the aft door. like a sort of hallway, where you can take off and hang up wet coats and shoes etc before walking into the aft cabin getting the floor filthy. Do you think such a thing is a realistic option on the RC35-45?. I think it could be a unique selling point. Regards ................. Neil.

Good points,

I will bear the hanging space in mind, but although we dont plan to convert the wheelhose to a bed on the first few we produce we have thought about the storage issues, we have the option of a full width drawer under the saloon seat in which you can store the bedding and also there shold be a hanging space behind the helm but we will have to see where there can be additional space found as this is always an issue in convertable wheelhoses.

Good points,

I will bear the hanging space in mind, but although we dont plan to convert the wheelhose to a bed on the first few we produce we have thought about the storage issues, we have the option of a full width drawer under the saloon seat in which you can store the bedding and also there shold be a hanging space behind the helm but we will have to see where there can be additional space found as this is always an issue in convertable wheelhoses.

Hi Clive

looking at the the shots of the saloon you have a c shaped sort of sofa what about it you could convert one of the side sofa's so when you lift up the cushion you have a little hatch fully enclosed just for bedding then if you plan to have a large draw that comes out then it wont be compromised with having to store both.

Jonny ice sliceice slice

may sound a silly question but is there a degree of espionage amoungst boaters?

Was at the WRC a couple of weeks ago and the plug for the new hire craft was outside.

Couldn't help noticing that it bore a striking resemblance to what I have seen of the RC45 in the pictures.

Same happened when Alpha, Richardsons and go boating all came out with their highliners a few years ago.

Hi Ian

Richardsons Bolero, Go Boatings Superstar and Alpha's Spitfire stye are all the same mould - Alpha Highliner 44' Go Boating used their own window shape but those three are the exact same mould.

If WRC have now produced a centre cockpit boat at similar proportions I guess there will be similarities, but I reckon each will have their own distinctive individuality, especially if the Ferry ones are going to look anything like their dual steer models! :naughty:

All the best

Dan