River Etiquette

Movic

14 minutes ago, Poppy said:

Your choice - provided you don't kick up a 'wash' and spoil things for the rest!

I only kick up a wash, if I'm sailing and it's half a gale!!!! Maybe this afternoon or tomorrow looking at the forecast!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonzo said:

I noticed that on the Llangollen Canal.. You can basically moor anywhere unless outside someone's house, and it really changes things.

There are mile after mile of informal moorings on the Broads too. Understandably people think that they have to moor up at formal moorings, preferably outside of a pub. Problem is, perhaps, that many people don't like their own company and the thought of being alone and having to talk to each other is not on their agenda. Hey, they are on holiday!

• Like 1

Hi Jonzo, 

The hooks used are piling hooks, some people do use mooring chains passed through the gaps in the piling, the hooks are great because they are quick release so if needs be you can short the ropes out once you are aboard.

Yes you can moor up on the towpath side of the canal, however these days you can really struggle to find a mooring within a village due to long term moorings even on the towpath side.

Our last canal trip we were struggling on average to make 2 mph due to slowing down for moored boats and shallow waters.

Regards

Alan