Thefts From Motor Vehicles

Wildfuzz

There has been a recent increase in theft from motor vehicles in north Norfolk, the area stretches from Hickling to Coltishall. The vehicles that have been reported so far have been left insecure and it is coins, property and bags left inside which have been targeted. Upon looking at the crime trail, and the crime times I would suggest we have a nocturnal thief who is travelling along or besides the Northern Broads.

Therefor a couple of requests, for those of us living in this area, please secure your vehicles and hide any valuables within, secondly it is possible this person is travelling by, or sleeping on boats during the daylight hours, or maybe walking the footpaths along the rivers. So any sightings of people seen in suspicious circumstances, or anyone who hears of a boat, boat shed or riverside property being used by someone to sleep in would be of great interest. There will be a press release in due course but I thought I would give you a little advanced warning, and also ask for your eyes and ears please.

s.

• Like 11

A few years ago there was a notorious criminal on the canal network (particularly the Grand Union around Braunston) who went by the name of Mr. Finch, and spent most of his time out of prison breaking into and living on moored boats. He generally took booze, food, warm clothes, and any money he could find, and had some odd habits (like always doing the washing up before he left a boat). When it got too cold in the winter, he'd hand himself in to the local police station, get sent down for a while so he could sleep in the warm and get three meals a day, and carry on as before once he was released. He apparently had a history in the services (don't know which one exactly, but given his noteworthy abilities at escape and evasion, quite possibly paras or marines), so tended only to be caught when it suited him.

I do wonder if there's a similar person at work here.

• Like 5

When I visited in 2015 there were a number of shifty looking people living on small scruffy unlicensed boats in that area. I spotted them rafted up just outside Stalham/Sutton and on my next visit a few weeks later they were hiding in one of the side creeks off Catfield Dyke, Hickling. Are they still around?  

Just a thought.